Get ready to set your clocks forward, back, forward, back

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Get ready to set your clocks forward, back, forward, back

Post by Glyphdoctor »

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Get ready to set your clocks forward, back, forward, bac

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:roll: I remember posting at the time they changed the Daylight saving rules in 2011 that it was all bound to change again before long. I got a few put downs at the time 'No. It won't change back again!' So...only time will tell!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This is going to play havoc with my FilmOn timings. :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I don't understand why it has to change back during Ramadan. We put the clocks forward at the end of March as usual, until the end of October. There is never any change during Ramadan, why would there be? The mosques know the times for the calls, and all have printed sheets that they give out so that everyone knows the times for the start of fasting and Iftar. Can anyone explain? :ni:
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

My guess is so people can feel they are breaking the fast earlier. Of course, it just means starting earlier in the morning.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

So does that mean the Egyptair flights to Heathrow will now, instead of landing at 2.50, land at 1.50, or 3.50, in which case I will miss my 4pm connection?
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No they would still land at the same time in the UK, but their departure time from Egypt will be one hour later Egyptian local time than what it currently is.

Here's the approximate dates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_s ... e_in_Egypt
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

There was no change last year either forward or back and no one complained, can't see the sense in it.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

hatusu wrote:So does that mean the Egyptair flights to Heathrow will now, instead of landing at 2.50, land at 1.50, or 3.50, in which case I will miss my 4pm connection?
You really do need to get confirmation of your flight times now this has been announced - and try to get it in writing too. I recall a few years back that there was great confusion over flight times. I was due to fly from London on the day the clocks changed and although I had worked out the difference correctly the information I received from my airline - think it was Thomson - was different. When I spoke to a supervisor at Gatwick about it they tried to convince me that Cairo and Luxor were on different time zones. In flight I was speaking to one of the flight crew about it and even they gave the incorrect times.

I know other people had problems with their flights at the time and also changing arrangements for their hotel transfers.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

carrie wrote:There was no change last year either forward or back and no one complained, can't see the sense in it.
The benefit of summer time is I can get my shopping done while it is cooler. The suq and a lot of shops in my neighborhood don't start working until 10am or so, which is fairly late, and means without summer time it is like 11am in terms of heat if we stay on winter time all year.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

According to news reports the time shift is to save electricity yet a study held back in 2010 indicated it did not save any. Why is it being brought back again now? As an election winning tool of some kind?
I feel we need to visit Mr Emil to reprint our flight tickets :tk

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:-) And I shall make a little trip to Egyptair office after all the stories that I have heard from last time... :le:
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

HEPZIBAH wrote:You really do need to get confirmation of your flight times now this has been announced - and try to get it in writing too. I recall a few years back that there was great confusion over flight times. I was due to fly from London on the day the clocks changed and although I had worked out the difference correctly the information I received from my airline - think it was Thomson - was different.
I agree - try to get confirmation of the flight times in writing if at all possible.

A couple of years back I turned up at Cairo airport for a British Airways flight thinking I had an hour and three quarters before the flight departed. In fact, it was leaving in 45 minutes. As far as I recall, the Egyptians had decided at the last minute to introduce daylight saving and BA hadn't changed its systems in time. The itinerary I printed off just before leaving the UK had the wrong departure time.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:You really do need to get confirmation of your flight times now this has been announced - and try to get it in writing too. I recall a few years back that there was great confusion over flight times. I was due to fly from London on the day the clocks changed and although I had worked out the difference correctly the information I received from my airline - think it was Thomson - was different.
I agree - try to get confirmation of the flight times in writing if at all possible.

A couple of years back I turned up at Cairo airport for a British Airways flight thinking I had an hour and three quarters before the flight departed. In fact, it was leaving in 45 minutes. As far as I recall, the Egyptians had decided at the last minute to introduce daylight saving and BA hadn't changed its systems in time. The itinerary I printed off just before leaving the UK had the wrong departure time.
The people who need to worry are those here at the moment and scheduled to return after 15th May. The printed info they have will almost certainly be incorrect. Getting anything in writing or even over the phone may be problematic. Those in tour groups will probably be ok. Caveat independent traveler !!
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:
The people who need to worry are those here at the moment and scheduled to return after 15th May. The printed info they have will almost certainly be incorrect. Getting anything in writing or even over the phone may be problematic. Those in tour groups will probably be ok. Caveat independent traveler !!
Last time, in 2011, some tour groups had no idea that the (Thomson and Easyjet) flights were leaving Luxor an hour early. These was chaos at the airport when I departed in Summer Time. I suspect that a lot of people missed the flight.

I suspect that Egyptair flight times in Cairo and Luxor will change by an hour as their slots at Heathrow (and Manchester) may not be easy to change. But I reiterate what others have said - check with your airline directly. :stp
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Brian Yare wrote:
newcastle wrote:
Last time, in 2011, some tour groups had no idea that the (Thomson and Easyjet) flights were leaving Luxor an hour early. These was chaos at the airport when I departed in Summer Time. I suspect that a lot of people missed the flight.

I suspect that Egyptair flight times in Cairo and Luxor will change by an hour as their slots at Heathrow (and Manchester) may not be easy to change. But I reiterate what others have said - check with your airline directly. :stp
Got nothing to do with Heathrow planes arrive at the sametime. Even so won't be a problem they own a landing slot not a specific time.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:
newcastle wrote:

For Hurghada, the fun & games will commence next Friday (16th). There are several flights arriving from UK with Thomson, Thomas Cook, Monarch & Easyjet. The UK departure times will be unaffected but it will be 1 hour later than they anticipated when they arrive in Hurghada. Assuming the turnaround time is the same, the departing flight will also be 1 hour later than they might expect for those leaving that day. Just an extra hour at the airport for those who haven't picked up on this. The REAL fun begins when they put the clocks back temporarily for Ramadan & again at the end of 'summertime' ;)
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

I was thinking I would be fine but I will have to check as I'm doing the Heathrow - Cairo- luxor route this time so my plane will land in Cairo one hour later than planned say 8pm instead of 7pm and my plane to Luxor is at 8:45 pm so instead of a gap 1:45 I now only have 45mins to get to the Luxor plane (and will that be enough time for the baggage to get through). I'l wait until after the 15th and then check with Egyptair.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bearded Brian wrote:I was thinking I would be fine but I will have to check as I'm doing the Heathrow - Cairo- luxor route this time so my plane will land in Cairo one hour later than planned say 8pm instead of 7pm and my plane to Luxor is at 8:45 pm so instead of a gap 1:45 I now only have 45mins to get to the Luxor plane (and will that be enough time for the baggage to get through). I'l wait until after the 15th and then check with Egyptair.

Brian, do you remember our "sprint" at Cairo airport last year?

No time for a fag between flights!
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Zooropa wrote:
Bearded Brian wrote:I was thinking I would be fine but I will have to check as I'm doing the Heathrow - Cairo- luxor route this time so my plane will land in Cairo one hour later than planned say 8pm instead of 7pm and my plane to Luxor is at 8:45 pm so instead of a gap 1:45 I now only have 45mins to get to the Luxor plane (and will that be enough time for the baggage to get through). I'l wait until after the 15th and then check with Egyptair.

Brian, do you remember our "sprint" at Cairo airport last year?

No time for a fag between flights!
Yes I remember and that was without trying to get a visa too.