Major New Discovery in Valley of the Kings

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Major New Discovery in Valley of the Kings

Post by Glyphdoctor »

50 mummies...sorry no translation yet, but I expect this will breaking news soon:
http://almesryoon.com/%D8%AF%D9%81%D8%A ... 8%B5%D8%B1

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Major New Discovery in Valley of the Kings

Post by Who2 »

Having lunch on Wed with Salima perhaps thats why she has returned, I'll be asking her... :cool:
Ps: is there an English button on almesryoon ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The picture to me looks like the aftermath of some opposition forces in the desert that had been executed.

Some advice here for any wannabe soldier's out there., Surrender is never an option, because the other side don't really want to take you as a prisoner after you have unsuccessfully tried to kill them..

So did this lot not deserve a tomb ? and I wonder just how many of those tombs in the valleys in Luxor actually had mummies inside them ?
Do the numbers add up from the caches of mummies that were found I wonder ?
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No, it's a cache of mummies like the one that was found in KV35 or TT320, some are T4 and A3 relatives and some are from the families of the high priests that moved them there. I would suspect that is why Salima returned as they will need a lot of help on that number of mummies although what they probably really need is a major team of conservators.

Odd thing is I can't find reports of it anywhere else. It quotes Mohammed Ibrahim and Elena Paulin-Grothe so it sounds legit but you would think some big news like this would spread a little faster unless this is just a leak so far.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Finally has hit the wires in English:
http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditi ... TT20140428
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

This is exciting very exciting at least for i wonder who these people are more importantly do they have any direct relationship to Amenhotep III and Thutmosis iv
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I was just waiting for you to come along and claim to have been buried in this tomb...sigh
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Here's the official press release with more details: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 042814.php
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

So they found this tomb OVER A YEAR AGO but waited until the worst possible day this year to announce its significance on which the story gets so buried by horrible news that it barely registers with regards to news about Egypt let alone everything else even though this is the most significant find in the Valley of the Kings in nearly 20 years.

https://aegyptologie.unibas.ch/forschun ... port-2013/

If I had a tourism business I'd be fuming with flames coming out of my ears right now. This could have been the most amazing boost to tourism to Luxor in years and they completely ****** it up with the timing of the announcement. Even I don't have a tourism business and the timing of this announcement pisses me off big time.

Maybe tomorrow with the opening of the replica it will get the coverage it deserves, but I'm not holding my breath.

My condolences to all that have tourism businesses. You've been screwed over yet again.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Frater0082 wrote:This is exciting very exciting at least for i wonder who these people are more importantly do they have any direct relationship to Amenhotep III and Thutmosis iv

Hi Frater, at the risk of annoying other posters id thought id ask a few questions.

As you were around at the time and assuming your memory is not selective you should, I thought be able to answer the following:

What of/how did you father die?

What of/how did Tut die?

As it appears Tut restored recognition of the old gods why was he apparently hated as much as his father?, that's never stacked up for me, he should have been revered for restoring the status quo not hated.

The pharaoh smenkhkare is now suspected by some to be Nefertiti rather than a son of your father. Perhaps you could clear this one up for us?

What happened to Tut's wife after she married Aye?

Where is she buried?

How much was a bale of hay and a bunch of dates back then? ( I want to see how inflation has affected the current price).

From where did the Aliens you mentioned come from and what were they called?
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Zooropa wrote:
Frater0082 wrote:This is exciting very exciting at least for i wonder who these people are more importantly do they have any direct relationship to Amenhotep III and Thutmosis iv

Hi Frater, at the risk of annoying other posters id thought id ask a few questions.

As you were around at the time and assuming your memory is not selective you should, I thought be able to answer the following:

What of/how did you father die?

What of/how did Tut die?

As it appears Tut restored recognition of the old gods why was he apparently hated as much as his father?, that's never stacked up for me, he should have been revered for restoring the status quo not hated.

What happened to Tut's wife after she married Aye?

Where is she buried?

How much was a bale of hay and a bunch of dates back then? ( I want to see how inflation has affected the current price.

From where did the Aliens you mentioned come from and what were they called?

I went over this many time before but for you Zoroopa( who i love) i will go over this again.

I was about 1 1/2 years old when i left Amarna which was late into year 16 of Akhenaten. I know little of what went on in Tutankhamen's reign because again my mother(Kiya) was banished from the kingdom by the wishes of Queen Tiye for the murder of her daughter Nebetah( who turns out to be Nefertiti)

My sister Ankh( they shortened their names) fled after she married Ay. Years earlier, she and Tut banished away my sisters Mery(Meritaten), Tentenaten(my full sister), and Setepenre. For reasons i'm not sure but i believe it had something to do with the Zannanza affair because Mery was trying to keep the aten cult alive and the priest did not want the religion revolution to proceed further. Knowing that if Tut became King and what the priest what have done if he became Pharaoh she reached elsewhere and I think the affair was enough to disgraced my beloved sister

Mery, Tenta'aten, and Setepenre were all to be banished to somewhere far from Tut and Ankh and that place is what i believe to have been Abydos because they lived close by Seti's temple. Years later after Tut's death, one late night, Mery found Ankh pouring her eyes out in front of her door being forgivable Mery allowed Ankh to live with the rest of them. Oh God this is bringing some strong emotions back i'm trying to hold back tears because I found this to be very beautiful

I do not know what happened to Tut because I was never informed as to what to him at least I did but for some reason my memories didn't allow me to remember what happened. However my mother stayed in contact with my two sisters Ankh and Mery so my mother was full aware what was going on in Egypt. My mother and I lived with my grandmother Juni, my mother's two guards, and my two uncles. I'm pretty sure that the news of Tut's death was huge as all of the North East would have known. My mother held great concerned about me and my sisters she was the only family that we had that was basically alive and when Seti denied us from leaving with her to Mitanni it devastated us(especially me)

Ankh is not even in Egypt. After my death i was given the chance to see my sister live their lives. She got married with a hunky Nubian and left for Ethiopia that gave me the indication that that's how my maternal family came to be. To be honest, i would think she would still be buried there of Aswan

The Rammesides, more pacifically Seti were the ones whom erased and destroyed many of relatives images on historical walls. I don't think no one actually hated Tut I think this was in response to him being the son of the heretic King and Queen. That's probably why you don't know anything about Hung Foot because they erased so many things directly associated with those Amarna Kings.

To me the early 19th Dynasty was still the 18th dynasty because without Ankh and Mery they probably wouldn't be as powerful as they were. Plus Akhenaten had another heir to the throne, me. I did sort of co-ruled with Seti a bit until Ramses was born that's when things went downhill and sour between me and Seti. It was not Ramses who help Seti construct his monuments it was me. That extra tomb in Seti's tomb was meant for me but as you know that never happened. The dating between Horemheb and Ramses I is wrong it should be at least four years because I was 19 when i returned to Egypt and it was the Ramessides that was on the throne not Horemheb

to back me up even Dorothy eady said " that Seti wanted anymore of the Amarna Family to be known. He hid alot

The whole secret chamber thing with the alien mummy was there long before Seti and I were born probably dating back between the fourth and fifth dynasties. All I know that the mummy had unusual wide eyes sockets and a big head. It's craft is there lying behind it with lots of gold. This chamber is well hidden no one ABSOLUTELY NO ONE KNOW WHERE IT IS. Hell i have a hard time remembering but i remember to open it one has to form a pyramid out of knocks. I'm wondering if its somewhere near the pyramids. i'm itching to say the Sphinx but i can't really say. They really need to start looking under its paws I believe that something's there.

Seeming how the pyramids are in direct alignment of the Orion's belt I would think it may have come from that system.
I do not know how much was a bale of hay because I was a palace servant

Its my belief that my father was dying of the sickness that was deforming his body so. He was ill for the remainder of his years and stood in background for the most part while someone else ran the country I believe it was Smenkhare and Neferneferuaten-Neferititi but Nefertiti gets herslef killed trying to kill my mother One time when I looked at his face one eye was yellow and his face looked horrid it scared me to look at him.

I don't know what happened to Smenk but Mery stated that it was the priest fault why they weren't married and I believe it was because he was either a commoner or a foreigner it's likely they killed him off. Smenk was half the age of Tut though

The death of Tiye, Nefertiti, Akhenaten,and Smenkhare the banishment of Kiya, left my sister Mery in a very chaotic position. She was left with a big responsibility and I guarantee many(Ay especially) tried to reach the throne. Yes Tut was the apparent heir to the throne but by this time he was about seven and those greedy priests was going to manipulate him, in which they did. I think Mery made a drastic decision to try and save everyone but it caused her to lose the rank as Queen of Egypt. I think the same rule could be applied to Ankh

Everyone keep saying that the depictions of Tut and Ankh is of love and affection actually its of love and care. She took good care of Tut and perhaps that unknown queen(kv21A) because she was the only family that he had. I know this because she and Mery took care of Neferneferure when she was sick. Neferneferuaten-Tasherit and Neferneferure weren't there in the beginning they both may or maybe Neferneferure was elsewhere at the time

Seti did fought in that Nubian Rebellion and the Egyptians never took any prisoners because they lost that fight. I guess he didn't want the idea of him killing his beloved to be remembered or the fact he killed an Amarna Royal.

that's what i basically know, some things I can't answer because i was extremely young to even understand what was going on around me
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I can see where Frater is coming from with this, and I admire the persistence, because its as true to him as an official Egyptology book is to those wishing to learn said subject. A childs view of a situation is different from an Adults view, but that basic story should match..

A few days ago, my son and i took his 2 kids plus my daughters kids to one of the parks in a village close by.
on our way back, we passed the Gresford Colliery club, which has one of the wheels from the cage lifts as a memorial to the pit that used to be on the other side of the road.

One of the three year olds see's this for the first time, he turns to me and looks quite serious, and then says ( remember he is 3 and not fluent yet )

"They in the cave....... They dont like it there Grandad...... it go BANG.... dark in the cave..... they cant get out.."

This is the version of that story that makes more sense to adults, and the cause has not been officially determined by those in charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresford_disaster

Anyhow, moving back to the topic Glyph raised, and I find myself in total agreement with her last statement.

Now I am going to say what has been on my mind for a good 2 years now..
Egypt is going the same way as all the other countries that has hosted ancient civilisations in that general part of the world. The only difference is that Egypt has a higher dependency on tourism than Iraq and Iran et all did, so its taking longer to kill. Luckily there is no official War in Egypt, so there is still hope for both traveler and archaeological teams alike...
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

We've had a lot of amazing discoveries this year (earliest image of Jesus earlier this week anyone? Two royal tombs at Abydos, one with the king inside it???) that could have made a good impact on tourism. In fact, these real discoveries in theory all surpass the potential of any discoveries made in years here in Egypt. It's not just the other stuff going on, it's that the archaeologists (the ministers and the foreign archaeologists) generally seem to have no clue on how to promote their work, except the ones whose archaeological activities are somehow tied in a shadowy way to the military/security interests of their own countries, in which case they have access to high powered, well connected PR people/journalists to shop their stories around to the right media outlets.

So maybe the archaeologists only care about the academic side of things but leaving aside Zahi's media machine, anyone who remembers the media blitz that came when Kent Weeks announced KV5, you can see the stark difference. And its not just in the interest of the tourism industry, it should be in the interest of the archaeologists themselves to get it right, because Kent Weeks had lots of funding that came in for years that allowed him to do other work he never could have afforded to do otherwise and was able to hire a lot of us to do it. And his case was not so different, he actually had been working on KV5 for a number of years before it really reached a level where he had a good story to promote.

And even though archaeologists often hate tourists running around on their sites, tourists are what generate the money for the general upkeep and conservation of the sites and I feel there's a moral responsibility there to use finds like this to promote it, because Egypt lets them work here, so they need to give back in some way.

When Otto Schaden found KV64 a few years back he got the right media coverage, but he settled for a pittance in exchange from the TV network for the right to impose their cameras on the scientific work-two measly laptops.

Archaeologists need to know their worth is much higher than that. And they need to know that how, when and to whom you give your story is extremely important.

Leaving Egypt, going back to Switzerland, and then issuing a press release via your university press office is not the way to announce the biggest cache of mummies ever found in the Valley of the Kings.

And yes, that is what you should make sure the headlines say, "Biggest ever" because that is what catches people's attention and that is why this was such an opportunity lost. And you do it by calling a press conference, in Cairo, where all the foreign media are based, and you check the calendar first to at least make sure there isn't any horrible news that is going to come out of some court that day before you schedule it to knock you off the front page, because only one front page story can come out of Egypt at a time. You can't bar something unexpected from happening, but you can at least try to avoid known things that will certainly snap up the headlines. You have videos that make for good tv to distribute to the press so that you can get a few minutes of time on tv, not just in the papers. You have the archaeologists and the minister available to do interviews. You might even give advance access exclusively to one major news outlet for a front page/front cover story. And if your university press office can't handle this, spend the money to get an outside firm to do it for you, it will be money well spent.

The Swiss team are great archaeologists and their archaeological work is excellent. But the horse has left the gate in terms of the funding and tourism opportunities and this is yet another discovery squandered.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Oh and it's not just the archaeologists who are screwing things up. It's easy for those who work in the tourism industry to blame it on the "fighting in Cairo" or the "court verdicts in Minya" or even "hassle at the ticket office." But it is even more fundamental than that-Some of the stuff that people who own tourism businesses in Luxor have come out with in recent years and months leaves me having to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I won't name names, but if you poke around a bit you can probably find it. The expat owner of a very highly ranked tourism establishment on TripAdvisor has recently stated on their own business site that when the power goes off in Luxor, their establishment is swarming with rats and roaches. Utter stupidity like this not only destroy their own businesses, but those of every other tourism business in Luxor.

I wish tourism could give everyone a prosperous life in Luxor, but it can't. Because even if one can't control certain outside events in Cairo or Minya or wherever, those who can control things are royally screwing themselves and everyone else over. So why bother? Time to move on to a new industry for economic development.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Things could have been worse if the 'prat in the hat was still around as far as press announcements go, and perhaps Frater 007 was Om Seti's boyfriend... :cool:
" A Touchstone of reality comes to mind! la whaala...
Sophocles.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

But the prat in the hat is not around anymore, so we need to deal with today's reality and not look backwards. Most of his "discoveries" were contrived for tv or were not really his discoveries anyway, but he did know how to get media coverage and understood the worth of the antiquities in terms of impact and money, even if there were illicit deals in the process. We've had a blessing of real, genuine, historically significant and unique finds this year unlike any recent year and none of them have been promoted effectively and that is a disaster in and of itself on par with every other disaster in this country.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Films that's what will bring 'the kiss me quick brigades flooding back... :cool:
http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-devel ... t-a-203769
Ps: 'perish the thought!
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yes Glyph, you are right, the BBC news in Britain got its news from Egypt alright, and exactly how you put it,..........what a missed opportunity.

While out last night, I was questioned about the present political situation in Egypt. Do I think all 600+men will be put to death. When I suggested this will probably be only a very small amount, one person suggested that would possibly be so, and they would draw lots. I was speaking to serious minded people, one from the BBC and another from the British Museum were in that group,. It's as though Egypt is being seen only as a 'tin-pot' state these days.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Five years ago everyone would have been asking you about the new discovery and what you knew about it having lived in Luxor.

It used to be that modern Egypt was not on anyone's radar-it was all about ancient Egypt, which itself had its drawbacks, but anyway, the tables definitely have been turned.