Ansar Beit al-Maqdis give tourists 4 days to leave Egypt

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Ansar Beit al-Maqdis give tourists 4 days to leave Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Just seen the ticker tape on Sky News. It is saying that the terrorist group have given until the 20th Feb (today is 18th) for tourists to leave.

I'm at work so can't put the actual news on and listen for more reporting on it.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Quite a few news agencies have started reporting this morning on the "leave in four days" rumour . The Arabic statement that was issued by the group where they've taken ownership of the Taba bomb didn't make any reference to the "4 day leave". It seems that this has come from a Twitter account. The group has said that they don't have a twitter group and the account is believed to be fake, however, they have been accurate before. Having said all this, if they want all tourists to leave by 20th February then why would they not issue that in their statement?

The statement can be found here http://jihadology.net/category/other-gr ... -al-maqdis
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The attack took place at the border crossing. The bus would not have been there if they had no intention of entering Israel.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Like I said before, who cares what they say :roll: One thing is for sure is that they targeted the tourists. Most likely the tourists will want to leave anyway :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:The attack took place at the border crossing. The bus would not have been there if they had no intention of entering Israel.
If that is a response to my comments I think you are missing my point. I am trying to say that I believe there was more to the specifics in choice of targeting. However, being at the border crossing potentially puts other international political spins on the whold situation.
-Aldous Huxley
Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

DJKeefy wrote:Like I said before, who cares what they say :roll: One thing is for sure is that they targeted the tourists. Most likely the tourists will want to leave anyway :(
I think it is relevant because what do they define as a tourist? Do they mean anyone at the sites, staying in hotels and travelling around in tour buses or do they mean anybody Western looking? They are many people that live here that aren't tourists and have working visas, homes and lives where it isn't easy just to up and go.Many of those people have no involvement in tourism and care little if the tourists up and go but will be concerned if it is an official campaign aimed at all foreigners. Do you remember a while ago we are talking about the deadline that was issued in Algeria in the early 90's and what happened afterwards? For what is worth, I believe that these reports are coming from the fake/not fake twitter account but irrespective of that the bombings of this week convey a shift in focus. As I think GD said earlier, prior to the event it was often said that tourists had never been the target. That can't be said now.
Last edited by Angela on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Angela, you have posted what I have been pondering on - the definition in this case of 'tourist'.

One thing is for sure - if it is meant in it's fullest sense i.e all those in Egypt on a Tourist Visa, then it would be impossible given current flight limitations. From that, I can only assume that the governments of other countries are not overly worried about the threat. If they are then lets hope that at this moment they are busying themselves in organising some sort of evacuation plan and extra flights
-Aldous Huxley
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Angela, you have posted what I have been pondering on - the definition in this case of 'tourist'.

One thing is for sure - if it is meant in it's fullest sense i.e all those in Egypt on a Tourist Visa, then it would be impossible given current flight limitations. From that, I can only assume that the governments of other countries are not overly worried about the threat. If they are then lets hope that at this moment they are busying themselves in organising some sort of evacuation plan and extra flights
These plan's have been in place for a very long-time. As for the planes there would be enough here within a day to take everyone out of the resorts if need be its unfortunately been done too many times for it ever to be a problem.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Bombay wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Angela, you have posted what I have been pondering on - the definition in this case of 'tourist'.

These plan's have been in place for a very long-time. As for the planes there would be enough here within a day to take everyone out of the resorts if need be its unfortunately been done too many times for it ever to be a problem.
My tongue was a wee bit in my cheek when I posted. (How I wish we had a smiley for that!)
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I doubt a terrorist is going to come and knock on your doors and ask for you to show them your visas and then decide what to do with you.

Tourists I am sure means targeting tourist facilities/transport frequented by tourists. In the 1990s that included buses, trains, hotels, and tourist destinations like temples and museums, a cafe frequented by foreigners and in one case some Greek tourists who got mistaken for Israelis because their flags are the same color!

In Algeria they warned foreigners to leave and then started killing foreigners working in the country, oil workers, monks, etc.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I doubt a terrorist is going to come and knock on your doors and ask for you to show them your visas and then decide what to do with you.
Exactly. I was rather looking at it the other way round and thinking about all those who live in Egypt and don't actually see themselves as tourists - regardless of any status they may or may not have.

Glyphdoctor wrote:Tourists I am sure means targeting tourist facilities/transport frequented by tourists.
Agree - sadly.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I can't see them targeting individual tourists either, much more effective to target places where tourists are likely to be in large numbers as in Hatchepsut. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start the convoy system again then they could get the whole lot.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just listened to a report on BBC Radio 4, In which the threat to tourists was discussed, the reporter mentioned that the Sinai has always been a difficult area to police but that the Egyptian Gov is taking the threat very seriously and increasing security in the Sharm area. There was also included in the report an account from an Englishman earlier in the year saying what a wonderful time he was having here in Luxor. The reporter did say that he had visited Upper Egypt in the past and found the people welcoming and said how they are suffering from the lack of tourists.
A great report if it had not started with the fact that tourists had been targeted,killed, injured and threats made, I'm sorry to say that having heard it I would not be booking my holiday to Egypt, anywhere in Egypt in the near future.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Back in the days of the "tourist trains" in the 90s, I remember one time trying to buy a ticket for a train I wasn't supposed to ride. The guy at the ticket office told me I couldn't buy the ticket and so I told him that if he didn't sell me the ticket, I knew I could walk out of the station and ask anyone in the street to buy the ticket for me and I would be able to board the train without any trouble or any questions, because I had done it before multiple times. He sold me the ticket immediately because he knew what I said was true. They weren't supposed to sell tickets to tourists but they didn't have any issues with foreigners riding any train. Go figure. I had no desire to ride a moving target. Same with the convoy system-absolutely scary concept.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

carrie wrote: A great report if it had not started with the fact that tourists had been targeted,killed, injured and threats made, I'm sorry to say that having heard it I would not be booking my holiday to Egypt, anywhere in Egypt in the near future.
This is a question for anyone, not just Carrie. Considering as you live in a tourist destination, if there start to be a lot of attacks in touristy areas, would you think to leave Luxor, considering it might be hard to avoid getting caught up in something?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
carrie wrote: A great report if it had not started with the fact that tourists had been targeted,killed, injured and threats made, I'm sorry to say that having heard it I would not be booking my holiday to Egypt, anywhere in Egypt in the near future.
This is a question for anyone, not just Carrie. Considering as you live in a tourist destination, if there start to be a lot of attacks in touristy areas, would you think to leave Luxor, considering it might be hard to avoid getting caught up in something?
No
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Extending Glyph's question - if your home becomes your prison are you willing to stay? If you can't walk the streets without fear of 'something' untoward happening would you stay?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I lived in the UK when there was a high risk of bombings from the IRA, I needed to go to a local city and didn't want to go one particular weekend I almost decided to leave it till the week after but in the end I went, the following weekend the IRA blew up the place where I had been and hundreds of people where killed and injured. I tend to believe that when your time has come your time has come. No I wouldn't leave Egypt my family would probably be very worried but I am sure that if I explained that I did want to stay and I would take as much care as possible then they would accept my decision. I don't believe I would be happy living anywhere else but here, I'm not exactly in the first flush of youth so what time is left to me I would like to spend where I am happy.
What about you Glyph you have a husband here and family would you leave?