19 dead in Upper Egypt road crash

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

19 dead in Upper Egypt road crash

Post by DJKeefy »

Nineteen people have died in a collision involving a truck and a minibus on a rural highway in southern Egypt, a local health ministry official has said.

State news agency MENA said the accident took place late on Sunday near the city of Edfu, north of Aswan. The bus was en route to Cairo.

Five children were among the dead, and at least one was injured, health ministry official Mohamed Azmy confirmed.

In mourning for the dead, the provincial governor has cancelled Aswan's National Day festivities, which fall on the week starting 15 January.

The celebrations mark the inauguration anniversary of the Aswan High Dam, one of the biggest projects in Egypt's modern history.

Largely blamed on lax enforcement of traffic laws and poorly developed roads, traffic accidents are very common in Egypt.

Five people died last week in a road accident in the southern governorate of Qena.

Around 12,000 people die annually on Egypt's roads, according to a 2012 World Health Organisation (WHO) report.

Egypt is one of ten countries listed in the WHO Road Safety project to be conducted over five years by a consortium of six international partners.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/92002.aspx

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: 19 dead in Upper Egypt road crash

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

One day the penny will drop that proper training and road safety will feature in the driving/riding tests. Although it saddens me to hear of these deaths, nothing surprise's me at all, the roads in Egypt are for Clowns and idiots, and not for the proper purpose.
Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

I live beside the International Hospital and heard many ambulances arriving late last night and crossed my mind that there must have been a 'serious incident'. Given that the number killed matched that of last year's balloon crash, will this accident receive the same publicity or investigating or are Egyptian lives not worth this?
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Was this on the Western Desert Road, or on the crappy old Nile-side rut?

And was the coach wearing headlights?
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:One day the penny will drop that proper training and road safety will feature in the driving/riding tests. Although it saddens me to hear of these deaths, nothing surprise's me at all, the roads in Egypt are for Clowns and idiots, and not for the proper purpose.
I think that first of all they have to take responsibility for themselves and their families instead of relying on some god to protect them.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

is that insha'llah or el-hambrallilah?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk He may just be a very clumsy God.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Sdo wrote:I live beside the International Hospital and heard many ambulances arriving late last night and crossed my mind that there must have been a 'serious incident'. Given that the number killed matched that of last year's balloon crash, will this accident receive the same publicity or investigating or are Egyptian lives not worth this?
It's doesn't involve people from other countries, so I doubt that it will get as much international coverage. The cause is clear, no need for an investigation like with the balloon. That's not discrimination.

That said, I was glad to see that the governor cancelled the celebrations out of respect for the dead. It's the right thing to do.
Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Sdo wrote:I live beside the International Hospital and heard many ambulances arriving late last night and crossed my mind that there must have been a 'serious incident'. Given that the number killed matched that of last year's balloon crash, will this accident receive the same publicity or investigating or are Egyptian lives not worth this?
It's doesn't involve people from other countries, so I doubt that it will get as much international coverage. The cause is clear, no need for an investigation like with the balloon. That's not discrimination.

That said, I was glad to see that the governor cancelled the celebrations out of respect for the dead. It's the right thing to do.
Surely something or someone has to be held responsible for this terrible accident.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Of course there is an investigation going on, but not one that is going to last a year like with the balloon. Aviation and road travel are two totally different things.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Has with all Road Accident Investigations - What happened Clear up and get rid of the evidence. Can people not understand there has to be more rigid traffic controlling and a desperate need to let motorists know, that any vehicle is as dangerous has a bullet from a gun, when in the hands of inexperienced and non trained people.

Many people own up to owning backsheesh licenses etc... This has to stop!!!!
Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Of course there is an investigation going on, but not one that is going to last a year like with the balloon. Aviation and road travel are two totally different things.
I would much rather be in the air than on the roads here in Egypt and this 'couldn't care less' attitude has to stop for all our sakes. Appalling driving, no licenses, unroadworthy cars, overloading of cars and buses and no consideration for others... these should all be addressed in some way to ensure we all have the right to drive on Egypt's roads safely and stress free. However, realistically, I can't see any changes no matter how many die on Egypt's roads every year.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Good post Sdo, sadly so true! Don't forget I would imagine most pilots gain their wings overseas, and do not pay under the tablle for them. :up :up