Daramali house

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

With reference to Stan's post on 11th August 2010, with regards to - ZH's plans for the WB, I contacted my spy in Cairo concurning this article, as it was to include a statement with a reference to Daramali House.

The House, ( which tells of the lives of the Qurna people), was/is to be set up as part of the now empty village, up on the hills, to the west of the ticket office. The people who lived here, were of a, shall we say different "tribe", were not even allowed to take even their house doors, when they left. With in this small old village, there are three excellent ancient tombs, closed to joe public, since the 1960's.

It was planned to open up this whole area to small tourist groups, with a idea to open two of the three tombs, which I know have easy access, then allow people to walk around the old houses in the village, with Daramali House being the fulcrum.

I wanted to gain this information given out by ZH, before I placed my post on here about the future of the WB, however I was told there is a "problem". (Me thinks, They are looking for a sponsor.) Though I think they may light the inside of the houses to give that romantic "feel" to the area, when the evening tourists go by, I am a little concurned that they may scrap the whole idea. If this be the case may I suggest, that you people with the cameras who live on the WB, take a few shots with in the village. There is a guardian there, who's hut is placed at the top of the village, for sure, he will be asleep, remember it is Ramadam.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Daramali house

Post by A-Four »

I know this is an old post, but in opinion a very important one.

Now some years later, it seems long gone are the days of Zawi and Farag, how ever I have been asked if there is any hope that dear Daramali House will be re-set. About nine months ago, I was chatting to a couple of the old officials at a hotel in Luxor, who informed me that the then Culture Minister had given it the big no no. If you think that Morsi's idea of a Governor for Luxor was bad enough, then you should have come across the then Minister of Culture,......Oh boy.

A dear friend has quite a large amount of photo's dating back more than 50 years, and other items that would certainly be useful to such a museum of old Qurna. More my interests, I believe that such a museum would be just as important to WB people, as it would be for tourists, if not more so, therefore, I am sure you can appreciate the great interest I and a couple of other have, in the hope of seeing this project through, perhaps before we die.

I am in Cairo next month, but before then, I am wondering if any present day ex-pats have heard anything on the grape vine.

P.S.- I hear that certain members of the old guard, of the days of Mubarak, are back in their jobs, with the exception of course of that dreadful old Deputy Minister of Culture,..............you know who.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Daramali house

Post by Brian Yare »

The previous museum of Old Qurna didn't last long, as it was in the area that was bulldozed. I am sure that Caroline would be delighted if a new replacement were created, but would there be much foot-fall?