Egypt hopes for a ‘no strike’ scenario against Syria

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt hopes for a ‘no strike’ scenario against Syria

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt hopes for a ‘no strike’ scenario against Syria, urges caution.

Officials in Egypt are concerned that international military action in Syria could further destabilise the region and provoke a fresh wave of refugees.

Concern is growing in Cairo over possible international military action in Syria as calls for a military response increase following an alleged chemical attack by government forces against the opposition.

"UN teams are still working to collect evidence on whether or not [the government of President Bashar Al-Assad] used chemical weapons against its own people, but already some very conclusive statements are being made. It is disturbing one must say," said a Cairo official who asked for anonymity.

News of the suspected chemical attack have been followed by statements from leading world capitals suggesting that if proven, Assad would have stepped beyond red lines and a reaction would be in order.

On Monday, US Secretary of State John Kerry said the account of Assad’s use of chemical weapon was grounded in fact – but said the world was waiting for the final say from UN inspectors. Kerry’s statement came less than two days after close to open threats by the US President and UK Prime Minister.

European diplomats in Cairo say a military ground operation is out of the question. They insisted the US and Europeans would not send troops – nobody wants another Iraq. No boots on the ground and no direct involvement. Limited aerial or ground-to-ground attacks, possibly from Jordan, are possible.

"Nobody can say what will happen and really nobody can confirm that anything will happen," says a Cairo-based European diplomat.

"At this point, there might be tough pressure on Russia and Iran to force Assad – their ally – to make a political deal that he has been resisting so far, especially recently as he has improved his position on the ground," says one diplomat. "However, it would be unwise to discard the threats entirely as psychological war on Assad."

Russia has warned Britain and America that they will be in "grave violation of international law" if they carry out air strikes against the Syrian government without UN approval. Russian President Vladimir Putin has conveyed this message at length to the UK Prime Minister.

"We are hoping a deal can be reached because if not we are in serious trouble," says another official. He adds that Cairo has been using high-level diplomatic channels to caution against a strike on Syria. "Our position against the atrocities committed by the Assad regime is firm but this is not to say we should encourage moves that might wreak havoc, especially if there is no guarantee that such strikes would remove the Assad regime."

Cairo is concerned that strikes could accentuate tension thus leading to a new influx of Syrian refugees to Egypt, at a time of increasing public dislike and mistrust towards them for their alleged participation in pro-Morsi marches.

Cairo is also apprehensive that an Islamist regime “probably be more radical than the one that has just exited power in Cairo” could come to power in Syria if Assad is removed.

Kadri Saiid, senior strategic affairs expert at the Al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies, says a military strike against Syria is the last thing Egypt needs. Even if it is not a war in the conventional sense, Saiid argues, it would still be destabilising for Syria and the entire region, Egypt included.

It would mean the Egyptian military, which is now heavily involved with state administration and battling Islamist militants in Sinai, would have an added worry, Saiid adds.

Egyptian officials agree, and add that a fresh war in the region would deal a serious blow to an already damaged tourism and investment climate in Egypt. “We are desperate for the economy to pick up,” says a government official.

Egypt would take part in diplomatic activities, including with its new-found diplomatic enemy, Turkey, officials say. The priority now is to prevent a war on Syria.

Egypt is talking to Saudi Arabia, an influential regional player. It is also talking to Russia, which has been very supportive of Egypt, and with other partners, to prevent military action.

At an Arab League meeting of permanent representatives on Tuesday, Egypt will urge caution over military action and appeal for new political efforts.

Saiid is aware of the difficulties that could hamper political efforts given the conflicting interests of key regional players: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Iran. However, he says, the US and the UK will not want the regional situation to get out of hand. “If Syria is attacked, Russia and Iran would be more upfront in their support of Assad. This means more weaponry and more havoc at a time when many countries in the region are faced with internal challenges.” He adds that it is too much to argue that more turmoil is in the interests of Israel.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/80013.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Egypt hopes for a ‘no strike’ scenario against Syria

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

News here this morning is that Obama is "considering" the situation but hasn't made a decision quite yet as to whether military intervention is going to happen......
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

We're hearing talk here in Cyprus - we're 10 minutes drive from Akrotiri RAF base, that the air strike could start as soon as Thursday and will be short but furious (around 3 days).

We're assuming they will close the airspace so it's highly likely that refugees could be evacuated here to Cyprus because we're so close. We did it with Lebanon not too long ago and they're all geared up for evacuees.

We've also heard that US military aircraft started to arrive on Akrotiri last night.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fact - chemicals have been used. From what else is being said here the USA is laying the blame directly on the doorstep of Assad.

Seems the USA is now standing by and ready to roll.

I definitely hope if there is a strike those doing the striking definitely know what, when and who they're going to strike at. Last thing the world needs is more unnecessary death due to hasty actions without well thought out information, contingency plans and exit strategies.

Having said that we can't remain standing still doing nothing to help the people of Syria. When the unidentified bodies of children line the field hospitals we (world) have to do something.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Do we? Look at the mess 'we' made in Iraq and Libya. It just seems that the West needs to be in a perpetual state of war with anyone it sees fit to be in it with. Troops returning from Afghanistan - no problem, we'll find them somewhere else to invade. Oh, and of course, the military must use their toys of mass destruction in order to keep the economy going!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
biosceptic

Post by biosceptic »

The US is in trouble no matter what.
If they go in they are accused of paternalism
If they don't they are accused of not caring for peoples suffering.

The best they can achieve is to minimise the number of people who blame them by choosing a considered and limited action such as enforcing no fly zones, but I am not holding my breath.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The Nail on the Head Stan.. :up

The question is, how do we stop these Demons that got elected into power from starting another war based on Lies... ?

Obama also said that America will be broke by October, so clearly the warmongering yanks need another war to prop up the broken economy, until the money finally runs out.

The US started WW3 after 9/11. This is the eternal war, until finally the money runs out and America goes down the pan, which is inevitable...
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A thousand plus a month are killed regularly. The wold powers and its minions shout outrage but do nothing except give the opposition more weapons to do even more killing. Nearly all these casualties are innocents of this civil war. One incident of chemical weaponry being used, half the word shouts bomb the b*****ds. Doesn't really balance out. But I suppose it gives a legitimate [in their eyes] go ahead for a strike. Then a couple will go off target a tad, kill more innocents, but that's collateral damage, so that's OK.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

60% of the UK think the whole idea is nonsense too! Its only the thicko Politicians that seem to think its a good idea lets hope they stay outnumbered.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The British people know they have been lied to, too many times, although my tolerance to lies is much lower than that of the general populous, since they cant see another way, and I can..
Now the Russians are moving some very big hardware around in the area, there may well be a re-think by our spineless, chinless politicians.

They only want wars they know they can win... :tk

Incidentally,

phpBB [video]

Don't bother visiting Government websites on November 5th.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I thought that I'd been infiltrated when I opened this page from the top BM as the video started to play on its own. I thought what the hells this, not hacked again!
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

You are safe Dusak.. :up

If I had my way several years ago, I would have brought down the entire Matrix...
But then I saw the light.. So to speak.. :cool:
Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

Last night the commons voted against David Cameron in attacks on Syria, he looked very pi**ed off about and said the government would comply with the wishes of the house. Maybe some are at last seeing sense.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Well 80% of the UK population were against the badger cull but Camoron and crew went ahead with that! So anything can, and will, happen make no mistake. Nick Griffin knows a thing or three having been wined and dined in Damascus. ;)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

jewel wrote:Well 80% of the UK population were against the badger cull but Camoron and crew went ahead with that! So anything can, and will, happen make no mistake. Nick Griffin knows a thing or three having been wined and dined in Damascus. ;)
What the hell has this got to do with badgers or the BNP? If you think a badger cull rates the same as chemical weapons use against innocents including children (or breeders and maggots as you call them) then you are a very sad sick individual. Why not just bury yourself in your tin pot vegan philosophies, and leave the real world to those who understand it.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I may be wrong but as I understand it as the PM he may still be able to go against the wishes of the commons, vote or no vote... I doubt he will though.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I doubt it and hope so too, BUT,
There's nothing we can do about it, and when things like this threaten to consume and distract me, then I say.........

phpBB [video]

:lv :lv :lv
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think he can using some old law called the queens/Royal prerogative or something like that.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well we got Obama on the TV right now making a speech saying he IS going to strike. Doesn't seem to care that nobody else wants to strike, the UN has said do NOT strike - but he is saying he has thought about it and is going to "Hold the Assad regieme accountable for its acts"...............He is comfortable to go ahead BEFORE the UN inspectors finish.......and, as her him, nobody else in the world is being responsible.........he believes he has the authority to carry out military action........AND the US will be Stronger and Better if they carry out this action............Oh - and - it is the RIGHT thing for him to do for Democracy!!!!!

OMG the Crazies are in charge of the Looney Bin!!!
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

It does make you wonder who the sane ones are, doesn't it.. ?

There are 2 paths in this life, sometimes I spend too long on the wrong one, but then it is very distracting, by design.. :cool:

Que Sera, Sera :cg

phpBB [video]