Police say 36 dead Islamist prisoners died from tear gas

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Police say 36 dead Islamist prisoners died from tear gas

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt police say 36 dead Islamist prisoners died from tear gas.

Thirty-six Egyptian Islamist prisoners killed on Sunday during an attempted prison break died after suffocating on tear gas, the interior ministry said in a statement.

“Thirty-six of the prisoners died of suffocation and crowding after tear gas was used to stop their escape,” the ministry said.

The official MENA news agency reported that “unknown gunmen” had tried to aid the prisoners, who kidnapped a police officer.

Earlier, the interior ministry said the inmates rioted while they were being transferred to the north Cairo prison of Abu Zaabal, and that police were “dealing with the situation”.

The Brotherhood-led Anti-Coup Alliance, which is pressing for the reinstatement of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, accused police of killing the prisoners as they were being moved.

“The Anti-Coup Alliance obtained evidence of the assassination of at least 38 anti-coup detainees in a truck transferring them to Abu Zaabal prison today,” the group said in a statement.

“They were reportedly assassinated in their truck with live ammunition and tear gas fired from windows.”

A MENA said later that trucks carrying 612 prisoners came under attack by armed men, and “a number of prisoners” were killed in ensuing clashes.

Police and the military sent reinforcements around the prison, the news agency reported.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/08/1 ... -tear-gas/

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Police say 36 dead Islamist prisoners died from tear gas

Post by Who2 »

The Brotherhood love changing the names they operate under from Hammas, al qaeda, Al-Gama al-Islamiyya, anti coup alliance, ect ect, Still a bunch of terrorists now wearing ties and suits and claiming to be slaughtered lambs.
Forgive me, if I don't fall under their rhetoric but, they are the ones looking for martyrs, well now they have lots of them and no-doubt a lot more to come....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Who2 wrote:The Brotherhood love changing the names they operate under from Hammas, al qaeda, Al-Gama al-Islamiyya, anti coup alliance, ect ect, Still a bunch of terrorists now wearing ties and suits and claiming to be slaughtered lambs.
Forgive me, if I don't fall under their rhetoric but, they are the ones looking for martyrs, well now they have lots of them and no-doubt a lot more to come....:cool:
True. The problem is how many innocent people are they going to take out on the way? :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Everything with the MB seems to be ever changing and they are able to manipulate stats on a whim so hard to know what the correct answer is regarding anything concerning them.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

timetraveller wrote:
Who2 wrote:The Brotherhood love changing the names they operate under from Hammas, al qaeda, Al-Gama al-Islamiyya, anti coup alliance, ect ect, Still a bunch of terrorists now wearing ties and suits and claiming to be slaughtered lambs.
True. The problem is how many innocent people are they going to take out on the way? :(
25 Police officers in the Sinai desert.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Dusak wrote:
timetraveller wrote:
25 Police officers in the Sinai desert.
And you think it'll stop at those 25 Dusak? It would be wonderful if it did, but somehow I doubt it. And actually the BBC are now saying 27.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Certainly it wont be 'helping any MB member taken in to 'assist the Police in their enquiries methinks...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Unfortunately I don't think it will stop there timetraveller. The police will always be considered a soft and legitimate target. But I have to wonder, given the problems that this area suffers from, why were they not carrying weapons to help protect themselves in case of such eventualities? The day before they shot one sniper and arrested three more not that far away from this incident so should have been on alert.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Some deaths are counted differently. Note this is an eye witness report on the ground and that, unlike government press releases, sources are prepared to be identified.

“At some morgues and hospitals, families say, doctors pressured by the police to keep the death toll low refused death certificates to those undeniably dead, offering “suffocation” as a cause of death to a teenager riddled with shotgun pellets and “suicide” for a man shot in the head.”

Until three days ago, Mohsen Sadek, a 30-year old accountant, was one of four brothers. Now, he is one of three. Alaa, 34, a doctor, was killed at the sit-ins that night, Mohsen said. Outside the morgue, he waited for Alaa’s body to be laid into a wooden casket.

His brother died from three bullets, to the chest and throat, the coronary report said. What followed was a horror, too. First Mohsen dragged his brother’s body to the Sayed Galal hospital, where he said police pressured the staff not to take any corpses from the sit-in. Three hours of begging later, Alaa’s body was finally placed in a hospital morgue.

The reason, (refusal to issue Ministry death certificates) family members and friends say, was political - - the government doesn’t want to create a record of those killed by gunfire. Ali Khaled died of shotgun wounds, his autopsy report finally said. But not before Ihab Saleh, 32, and other friends were asked by a hospital to accept a ruling of suicide.

Hilal Abdel-Hamid, a 45-year-old garment worker, was asked by the El-Sadr Hospital to accept a report that said his friend, Khaled Hammouda, had killed himself. Hammouda’s charred body was identified only after Hamid recognized his t-shirt, made in the same factory where the two worked.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-1 ... -dead.html
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The body was a charred mess but the t-shirt was still intact. Didn't know the sold such good quality cloths over here. :up