Some good news at last

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Some good news at last

Post by Brian Yare »

Egyptian exports start to boom despite politics

Egypt's cotton exports decline 40.6% in Sep-Nov 2012

Egypt's non-petroleum exports up in March: Trade minister

Egypt is in the early stages of an export boom, suggesting its economy could begin to recover in the next few months if a minimum level of political stability is restored.

Helped by a falling Egyptian pound, non-oil exports have grown at double-digit annual rates since early this year despite violence on the streets and deep uncertainty over the country's political future.

Egypt's export sector accounts for only slightly more than 10 percent of the overall economy, and this relatively modest contribution cannot by itself end high unemployment or generate enough tax revenue to fix the government's shattered finances.

But the surge in exports, which has received little publicity amid this year's flood of bad economic news from Egypt, shows many manufacturers are finding ways to ride out the political turbulence - and could enjoy strong growth if the country eventually gets a stable government.

"It's a good sign if they're managing to achieve that kind of export growth, especially in the current environment," said John Sfakianakis, chief investment strategist at MASIC, a Riyadh-based investment firm.

Overall Egypt still runs a huge merchandise trade deficit, which was $23.8 billion in the financial year to March, although this was already 2.7 percent narrower than in 2011-12 as exports grew and imports remained steady.

In the separate energy sector, which accounts for about a fifth of overall exports, Egypt has sharply cut back natural gas shipments, diverting supplies to the domestic market to avoid power shortages.

Recovery

Egypt's non-oil exports grew strongly for much of the past decade, rising 18.5 percent to 130.1 billion Egyptian pounds (now $18.6 billion) in 2011, the year when Hosni Mubarak was overthrown, according to the State Information Service.

Their growth plunged last year as the election of Islamist president Mohamed Mursi worsened political tensions and deterred investment; industrial unrest, poor security, fuel shortages and difficulties obtaining finance hit many companies.

Non-oil exports inched up just 2 percent in 2012, less than half the rate of consumer price inflation. But shipments began to recover around the start of this year, rising 7 percent from a year earlier in the first two months of 2013, and 15 percent to 65.50 billion pounds in the first five months.

Trade minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour told reporters that non-oil exports jumped 21 percent year-on-year in June, a month when big Egyptian cities were rocked by mass protests against Mursi that led to his overthrow by the army on 3 July.

In many ways, the operating environment for Egyptian companies has remained as tough as it was last year. But exports of low-technology, cost-sensitive products such as textiles, food and leather have jumped, businessmen say.

Textile exports rose 16.5 percent from a year ago to 2.44 billion pounds in the first five months of 2013, according to the Textile Export Council. Processed food exports climbed 26 percent year-on-year to 2.01 billion pounds in the month of May alone, and were nearly twice their level in May 2010.

A major reason for the export recovery is the depreciation of the Egyptian pound, which makes shipments more competitive. Depreciation accelerated in the first half of this year; the pound, now at 7.00 to the U.S. dollar, is down 9.3 percent since end-2012 and 16 percent since Mubarak's fall.

There are also signs that some Egyptian exporters are starting to tap fast-growing demand in markets beyond Europe and the Arab world, their traditional focuses.

Non-oil exports to non-Arab African countries surged 28 percent from a year earlier to 4.85 billion pounds in the first five months of this year. Exports to the Arab world climbed 20 percent to 27 billion pounds, helped by an economic recovery in neighbouring Libya after its civil war.

Currency

It is not clear how much longer Egyptian exporters will benefit from a weak currency. Many analysts believe the pound is still overvalued and should be trading around 7.5 to the dollar, given the pressures on the economy; fresh depreciation to that level would almost certainly boost exports further.

But Egyptian authorities may resist further depreciation, and with foreign reserves boosted by $12 billion of aid pledged by friendly Gulf Arab governments this month, they are better placed to do so than the cash-strapped Mursi administration was.

Egypt depends heavily on imports of wheat and some raw materials for its industry, including low-quality cotton; although it is a big producer of raw cotton, it is unable to process that output competitively. So a weaker pound drives up costs for much of its industry, limiting the boost to corporate profits from higher exports.

Also, one of the post-Mursi government's priorities is reviving business investment and luring back money which fled the country. That may mean keeping the currency stable is more important than it would be in normal economic times.

"The currency is a double-edged sword," said Sfakianakis. "There are costs to the economy from depreciation as well as benefits, and the balance of them is not as simple as it would be in some other economies."

The pound has risen marginally in foreign exchange auctions conducted by the central bank since Mursi's departure, which may be a sign of authorities' intentions toward the currency.

Even without further depreciation, however, the operating environment for exporters may improve. Egypt's new team of technocratic economic ministers is promising to end bureaucratic delays, review regulations and ease fuel shortages.

Norhan Mohsen, who handles merchandising for small Cairo garment exporter Authentic Egypt, said expressions of interest from US customers had increased in recent weeks.

"Foreign customers are still interested in our prices" despite Egypt's political instability, she said. "This year's situation looks like it will be better than last year."

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... itics.aspx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Some good news at last

Post by A-Four »

We all know on here how accurate El Ahram is with its information, so how do you, Brian, see the futures market including forex, say for the next six months, plus in the general battle field ahead, are you as clear as this famous organ in saying that we 'we have good news at last'. :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I have no idea what you all think of Al Ahram's opinions, as of Al Jezeera's, and the various other publicly available media streams. One must consider a variety of views and interpret them for oneself.

As to my views on the Egyptian economy, I am concerned, very concerned. But there are opportunities if the government is prepared to grasp them.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Some positive news in the article but Egyptian Ministers put out press releases promising good things that rarely materialize. What is it about Egypt that unrealistic promises are always made?

A-Four has smelt a rat. So have I. These Cairo government PR types need to get their bull consistent. On the one hand they state that cotton exports have declined by over 40% and later they state that textile exports have increased by over 16%. I guess both could be true.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Hafiz wrote:On the one hand they state that cotton exports have declined by over 40% and later they state that textile exports have increased by over 16%. I guess both could be true.
My mistake.

When I cut and pasted I erroneously included the text from two links to other, earlier, articles - the first two paragraphs (or lines) of my quote, about cotton exports dropping and non-petroleum exports being up are not part of this article.

Brian
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I shall post accordingaly whrn the booze has worne off :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

No Brian you were right but based on the wrong evidence! The vulgate contradicts itself just as your edit did. So you were right when you thought you were wrong.

This type of stuff might be of little interest to most but is of interest to me and is the guts of Egypt's economic problems and unemployment. When I can make sense of the incoherent al Ahram/Reuters article I might post something which may interest some.