New governor for Luxor governorate

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Remus
Egypt

Re: New governor for Luxor governorate

Post by Remus »

Who, we must wonder, is calling the shots on this one, the Sureme Guides of each group or Pres M? (I think we know the answer)

From Aswat Masriya:

The hiring of Luxor governor showed that Mursi, who hails from the relatively moderate Muslim Brotherhood group is openly reaching out for a political alliance with the more radical and former militant group ahead of a big wave of opposition-led protests expected to start on June 30.

However, just hours after the paper carried the interview on its front page and three inside pages, Al-Gamaa al-Islamiya's political wing called on the new governor to resign.

"We are not after any post," the group's leader, Safwat Abdel Ghani told a news conference, adding he expected Khayat to officially announce his resignation on Saturday night. "We asked the new governor to resign for the sake of Egypt."

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

The Political side of Egypt is just stumbling from one catastrophe to another, how on earth will things get resolved? I am starting to understand why the Government Elections are not going ahead or are as far from being carried out as ever.

There was such hope when Egypt became a free elective Country, suddenly within 12 months that hope has vanished.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Confusion reigns.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Think it needs re-thinking and more thought!!
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

So has he resigned or not? Can't find anything definite on the internet.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

The latest from AlAhram:

'Freshly-appointed governor of the tourist city of Luxor, Adel El-Khayat, who belongs to the Egyptian hard-line Islamist group Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya, has agreed to resign, announced deputy head of the group's political arm, the Building and Development Party, Safwat Abdel-Ghani Saturday.

Abdel-Ghani, speaking at a press conference held by the Egyptian Union for Tourism Chambers, said that the party had convened and made the decision to ask El-Khayat to resign, and that he agreed.'

But he hasn't yet resigned. Who is making decisions in Egypt?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It seems different reports say different things. Which to believe is the challenge!
For the time being I've settled on NONE!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

....................STOP PRESS..........They have just made him Minister of Tourism.....STOP PRESS..................................
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote:....................STOP PRESS..........They have just made him Minister of Tourism.....STOP PRESS..................................
I joke, but then again if they did, it would certainly mean history,............ in more than one way,................. with regards Luxor. :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Seems this individual does more ducking and diving than the Scarlet Pimpernel.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The whole thing is interesting.

Poor decision making by the President/PM. The Government should have calculated negative local and international reaction. Amateur hour and loss of face. On the other hand, locals standing up to the central government shows new pluck. It also shows that they fear government reprisals less than under Mubarak. I guess the whole thing is an example of the balancing process of democracy. Government needs to take account of public opinion and when they stuff they lean from it and improve their systems and judgements for future appointments.

Whether the former terrorist continues or not, Government has likely learned a painful lesson whilst the locals (and others) now know that decisions might be changed if they stand up.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

All very peculiar.

His group tells him to resign.

Despite this, Pres M on Saturday supports him.

From Sohag he says he will not resign.

The Luxor protest continues.

Newspapers say resignation is imminent.

Presumably it's all in Pres M's and PM C's hands.

But they will lose face nationally and internationally so delay the decision.

Is there an element to this damaging fiasco that I'm missing?
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

From Rawya Rageh on Twitter just now:

#Luxor Governor Adel Khayyat officially announces he's resigning 'out of keenness on public interest over personal' #Egypt #GamaaIslamiya

#Luxor Governor Adel Khayyat: I do not accept any bloodshed over a position I never sought to occupy #Egypt #GamaaIslamiya

Gamaa Islamiya political arm Building & Development Party:We never want to be part of the problem rather than solution #Luxor #Egypt

Remains to be seen whether PM #Qandil would accept #Luxor Gov resignation, reports ystdy already indicated he won't #Egypt #GamaaIslamiya

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-morsi-appoi ... 03748.html

CAIRO (AP) — An Islamist from a radical group named by President Mohammed Morsi as governor of Egypt's ancient city of Luxor resigned on Sunday.

Adel el-Khayat is a member of the Construction and Development party, the political arm of the Gamaa Islamiya, which waged an armed insurgency against the state starting in 1992 and attacked police, Coptic Christians and tourists.

In November 1997, gunmen from the group attacked tourists at Luxor's 3,400-year-old Hatshepsut Temple, killing 58. More than 1,200 people died in the campaign of violence by the group and another militant organization, Islamic Jihad.

In a brief statement read at a news conference on Sunday, el-Khayat said he decided to resign to prevent bloodshed, a reference to clashes between his supporters and opponents outside the governor's office in Luxor.

"I discussed with my brothers from the Construction and Development party, and we agreed that I should present my resignation as Luxor's governor because we don't want bloodshed", he said in a statement.
"We cannot accept the shedding of even one drop of blood for a position that we never wanted."

El-Khayat was one of the 17 provincial governors appointed last week by Islamist President Mohammed Morsi. His appointment steered anger among tourism workers and activists in Luxor and hundreds of people have protested Morsi's choice outside the governor's office.

El-Khayat's party calls for strict implementation of Islamic Shariah law, which includes imposing an Islamic dress code for women, banning alcohol, and preventing the mixing of the sexes. Workers in a city as heavily dependent on tourism as Luxor worried that such policies would further hurt their business.

Officials of the Construction and Development party said on Sunday that el-Khayat's resignation decision was not made under pressure and that it showed the party's political maturity.

The party has in recent weeks emerged as a strong backer of Morsi against the opposition, which plans massive protests on June 30 to force him out of office. Leaders of the group have declared the protesters non-believers and have vowed to "smash" them on June 30, the first anniversary of Morsi's assumption of office as the nation's first freely elected leader.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Just read it on the BBC news site.

Thank goodness for that!
Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Barb is right.

The only UK travel company going to Luxor now is Thomson. They have also severely cut the hotels they they use and are really only encouraging Nile cruises and the Red Sea, as the prices they are charging for Luxor hotels are extortionate!

I have booked a hotel independently for next February, but have yet to book my Thomson flights from Manchester, as they are asking £460 for the flight with checked luggage! I had thought that I could use Egyptair, but have been told they won't be flying from Manchester from October to April.

Prospective new visitors will likely compare prices with other destinations and go there instead. I intend continuing with my annual visit until my health dictates I stop, but it's REALLY being made difficult to get there.

I feel the only way to stimulate tourism to Egypt is to get the tour operators back and start offering good deals.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Kaiserbernese wrote:Barb is right.

The only UK travel company going to Luxor now is Thomson. They have also severely cut the hotels they they use and are really only encouraging Nile cruises and the Red Sea, as the prices they are charging for Luxor hotels are extortionate!

I have booked a hotel independently for next February, but have yet to book my Thomson flights from Manchester, as they are asking £460 for the flight with checked luggage! I had thought that I could use Egyptair, but have been told they won't be flying from Manchester from October to April.

Prospective new visitors will likely compare prices with other destinations and go there instead. I intend continuing with my annual visit until my health dictates I stop, but it's REALLY being made difficult to get there.

I feel the only way to stimulate tourism to Egypt is to get the tour operators back and start offering good deals.

Oh dear, im in trouble, I leave tomorrow and an element of my holiday is via a Uk travel company that is NOT Thomson!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:So to help me understand a bit, this man was one of the group who went armed to the West Bank Monuments etc. armed with guns and ammunition, and shot tourists indiscriminately, and got away with a small prison sentence, how come? because the other people in the group did not survive, as I am led to believe. This being the case then yes you are right and he has got blood on his hands.

Im led to believe he was from the "political wing" of the organisation concerned.

Im sure this is your point.

People who objected to the Invasion of Iraq hold Bush and Blair as accountable for that and im sure they didn't physically go into Basra and start killing people.

He was part of the organisation.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

So he was not armed and attended the massacre, just a member of the Political Group. does not matter now anyway sounds like he has gone, and reading other posts, it also sounds as though the only commitment to Egypt is by its Military.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I think it does matter, I find it very troubling if its ok to clear someone for a position such as governor because they only belonged to the "political wing" and because they actually didn't kill anyone but perhaps just drew up or had a hand in drawing up the policy for its "military wing" to carry out.

Very worrying.