Report cites host of 'failures' on part of Egypt presidency

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Report cites host of 'failures' on part of Egypt presidency

Post by DJKeefy »

Report cites host of May 'failures' on part of Egypt presidency.

The Cairo-based International Development Centre issued a 'Democracy Index' in early June assessing the Egyptian presidency's performance throughout the month of May, highlighting the latter's "failure" to manage crises.

The index claims to measure President Mohamed Morsi's performance in a range of categories, including statements and promises, activities and meetings, and presidential decrees.

In the area of crisis management, the report listed several "failures" by the presidency, especially in regard to last month's kidnapping of Egyptian soldiers in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula and the ongoing Nile crisis with Ethiopia.

"The presidency failed to act quickly at the beginning of the Egyptian soldiers' kidnapping in Sinai," the report asserts, going on to criticise the fact that Morsi had been the first Egyptian president to call for the safety of both kidnapped and kidnappers alike.

The latter decision received condemnation from much of the Egyptian public, who believe the wellbeing of kidnapped soldiers should have been the president's primary concern.

The president also "showed confusion" in his management of the ongoing Nile crisis, according to the index. For example, Morsi failed to take immediate diplomatic steps to address the issue, such as summoning the Ethiopian ambassador or the ambassadors of those countries financing Ethiopia's Renaissance Dam project.

The report also points to "contradictions" in Morsi's domestic policies, stating: "The statements and promises of the president in May reflected a contradiction in that the president promised to raise the standard of living for workers, yet, in the same month, approved a new taxation law."

The report also notes that the president did not issue many presidential decrees in May.

"Among the few presidential decrees issued in May was the decision to draw up a legal consulting committee to advise in constitutional affairs," the report asserts, adding that the decision had contrasted sharply with the demands of the Egyptian street.

The report also mentions the presidential budget, which, taken out of the overall state budget, covers presidential expenses.

According to the report, the presidential budget saw a LE78 million increase since the 2011 ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak. The increase, the report states, came "without justification" by the presidency despite Egypt's ongoing economic crisis.

In May, President Morsi did not attend an Easter Mass held by newly-elected Coptic Orthodox Pope Tawadros II, nor did he send any representatives on his behalf. Rather, the report emphasises, he simply contacted Pope Tawadros by telephone.

The report also questioned the presidency's practice of sending costly presidential delegations abroad to prepare for Morsi's international trips, rather than relying on Egypt's existing diplomatic missions overseas.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/73362.aspx

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Report cites host of 'failures' on part of Egypt preside

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I had a phone call from Cairo today to say that there are planned demonstrations on June 30th, I hope this is not all kicking off again! The caller told me the people are getting restless, and want proper democracy and government. I would hate to think that Cairo and the big Cities are going to be a battlefield, it would be a disaster for Egypt.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

What else did Morsi tell you? :urm:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

It was not himself D, it was a friend of mine that lives in a place called Zamalek a suburb of Cairo, he is a Doctor! and nothing to do with Politics.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think that all, regardless of what walks of life they come from, are now heavily interested in politics. As now, here in Egypt, politics are the controlling influences of their lives.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Others must be getting sick of my carping about reports against the Morsi government. It's not that I like their policies its just their critics are so bogus.

Here is a sample of bogusity (!). The 'Cairo based International Development Centre' says says in the report that there is a 'Nile Crisis'. There is no crisis, the water runs, some fools (none of them in the government) in Egypt have said some crazy things, the dam at the center of the 'crisis' has been ten years in the building and its effect is anticipated (or should have been anticipated by the dictatorship). This is only the 4th para, I could go on but my real objection is the basis of the article as follows.

I can find no web presence for the 'Center', in fact the only web mention for the body is the al Ahram article. Al Ahram gives no info on the body, when it was 'set up', its membership, its other activities, how or where to get a full copy or even a link to its website. Most suspiciously it quotes only from the 'report'. No person's name is mentioned in the article as a spokesperson. Don't you think this is a bit odd when both al Ahram and 'Center' are based in Cairo.

I have my doubts that this 'Center' even exists and I suspect that al Ahram is in on this or, if they are not, then this is another example of accidental sloppy journalism which always has the same target.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Hafiz, never think that we (or at least I) tier of any ones 'harping on's' as you put it. It makes the forum interesting, and usually you produce interesting points to ponder. :up