Egypt govt calls on citizens to ration electricity

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt govt calls on citizens to ration electricity

Post by DJKeefy »

After power cuts, Egypt govt calls on citizens to ration electricity.

Egypt's electricity ministry on Tuesday apologised for a recent spate of nationwide power cuts, which the ministry attributed to ongoing fuel shortages.

In an official statement, the ministry ascribed recent power outages to "fuel shortages that have made it difficult for allocated generators to keep up with mounting consumption."

Egypt has around 220 electricity generators nationwide, which consume roughly 100 million cubic metres of fuel on a daily basis, according to a recent statement by Electricity Minister Ahmed Emam.

Egypt's state-run National Energy Control Centre, the statement explained, "has been forced to reduce pressure on the national electricity grid, and therefore calls on the citizenry to ration their use of electricity, especially the use of air conditioners and heaters."

Egypt’s national electricity consumption this summer is expected to rise to 29,500 megawatts per day, while the total daily capacity for electricity production currently stands at some 27,000 megawatts.

The statement further stressed that both the ministries of electricity and petroleum were exerting the "necessary efforts" to secure needed fuel.

Egyptians have recently suffered intermittent blackouts during the day, the result of an electricity ministry plan to conserve power during Egypt's hottest months from May to August.

The government is also betting that rising household electricity costs will serve to reduce consumption.

Electricity consumption in Egypt usually surges during the summer, exacerbated both by the hot weather and the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which this year will fall in July.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/71998.aspx

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Egypt govt calls on citizens to ration electricity

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Sounds like a lack of investment to me, they would have known this was coming, and therefore should have invested wisely. The money they must be spending on fuel to run these places surely would go along way to building Power plants that run off energy efficient fuels. Sorry but no sympathy there!!!

Take a look at all the illegal non metered supplies, get a grasp on these and you will save a fortune, there are plenty of them! Look atb the so called street lighting that people put up, all unbalancing the grid.

If the powers that be cared enough they would get a grip on this!!

Regarding the increase in Electricity bills regulating usage, it shows how the powers that be are behind the times, people just pop a cable up to the grid and run it to their homes for lighting and power
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

By the way I have a bag containing 2 Kilo Watts of Power, saved by me after rationing, if anyone would like to pick it up from my home please feel free to do so, I do like to share!

Like the Ministry I apologise for being frugal, (Goodness that sounds good) but would like to say it will have to be first come first serve.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Ration, what a question to ask, when its the government rationing the electricity to the people!!