Egyptian police foil coin-smuggling bid at Cairo airport

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian police foil coin-smuggling bid at Cairo airport

Post by DJKeefy »

Authorities at Cairo International Airport thwart attempt to smuggle 145 ancient Egyptian coins – dating from Graeco-Roman, Ottoman eras – out of country.

Egypt's Archaeological Unit for Confiscated Antiquities (AUCA), in collaboration with the tourism and antiquities police, aborted an attempt at Cairo International Airport on Wednesday to smuggle a collection of Graeco-Roman and Ottoman-era coins out of Egypt.

The smuggler, an Egyptian citizen, hid the coins within his luggage in an attempt to smuggle them first to Dubai and then on to Europe, where they might be sold to collectors.

Hassan Rasmi, head of the AUCA's central administration, told Ahram Online that the coins were in "very good condition."

The collection includes 30 coins from the Graeco-Roman period (with some dating from the reign of Alexander the Great); 30 from the Ottoman period; 54 from the reign of Egypt's King Farouk; 11 from the reign of Sultan Hassan; and 20 from the reign of King Fouad I, according to Rasmi.

The coins will remain in the possession of the authorities until investigations are completed and the perpetrator convicted.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/70082.aspx

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Egyptian police foil coin-smuggling bid at Cairo airport

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I think due to the financial position of Egypt at this moment of time there is always going to be those that will stoop to any measure to access money. top Traders especially in Cairo are now dealing with US Dollars instead of LE and this will damage the Egyptian Currency even more.