Arab Music Festival

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Arab Music Festival

Post by Winged Isis »

Woo hoo! I am so getting tickets to this!!!

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/sh ... OgUM6Un3dk

Carpe diem! :le:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Arab Music Festival

Post by BENNU »

:up So the mountain will come to Mohamed. :lv
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Sometimes, alhamdidlulah! :lol: This is the inaugural event of what is hoped will be an annual event, insha' allah. They certainly have a great headliner to start things off with a bang. No other info as to other artists, but I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph Tawadros appears for one.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Interesting its in Sydney which has a much smaller 'arabic' population than Melbourne. From his photograph the lead singer's producers probably decided that he'd do better in Sydney whatever he sang and whether there were 'arabs' there or not. The prices are high but the venue large so they must be expecting a big turnout.

Glad you gave me an opening on Joseph Tawadros maybe the best classical oudist in the world. CD's hard to get, available on ITunes, born in Egypt, brought up in Australia, now living in the US and performs in Europe. Popular in Australia also - will perform in Parliament House on Australia Day.

His oud playing of traditional pieces is not the hard hitting Ulm Kalthoum band style but is understated/minimalist with more complex rhythms. He also performs as a soloist with classical orchestras. Regrettably he seems to be moving into Jazz fusion with oud with a sort of Chick Corea type sound.

Amazingly I can't find information that he has performed in Egypt or indeed in the Middle East. Can't make sense of that

Unfortunately the tracks I have of him are too large to post but his website http://www.josephtawadros.com/ offers a free download of one of his tracks. Lest I be thought a tout - have never met him.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

We have a very large Arab population! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Australian Mainly Lebanese; most Egyptians are Coptic.

I have number of Amr's CDs. Doubt if anyone outside the Arab community has heard of him, other than travellers to Arab countries.

You never heard of JT? Joseph's trad music is def better than his more recent jazz. He is immensely respected in the business and has recorded with many big names. He was presenting at the Arab Film Festival in Sydney once.

I don't think the prices are high compared to many other concerts; we have Gold Seat tickets, in section C5, for $150. Don't forget this is a 5 hour multiple-artist festival, not just a one artist concert!
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Winged Isis - sorry - not being able to work out how to use the smiles etc means I sound sourer and more serious than I mean. The joke was a standard one about Sydney - you've heard them all before.

Agree with you about JT - he has fans in the Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi communities particularly with older people who follow his career carefully.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

No worries, didn't take it as "sour"! Yes, have heard a few in my time.... ditto for you about Melbourne, I'm sure. :D

I will send you a pm re how to use smilies (so simple... if I can use them with abandon, anyone can!). :roll2:

We used to have hundreds, but the Big K did some decimating when he redesigned everything. That was necessary, but there were some goodies that could have been kept, especially some of the animated ones, IMHO. Anyway, experiment in a reply to my pm.