Interior Ministry changes harassment strategy

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Interior Ministry changes harassment strategy

Post by DJKeefy »

The National Council for Women and the Interior Ministry will collaborate to face sexual harassment and assault by stationing security patrols in streets and in front of schools, and strengthening them during rush hours, the council said in a statement Wednesday.

Reports of harassment and assaults have dramatically increased recently. The statement said that the ministry is currently updating its system for fighting sexual harassment and assault through the use of cameras to cover all streets and important squares, and linking them to the security patrols to ensure the speedy arrest of offenders.

In addition, the ministry will appoint specialized female officers in special departments, such as the Morality Police, the juvenile department and the Tourist and Antiquities Police. These officers will examine cases related to women to provide an appropriate atmosphere when incidents are reported and investigated, alongside female community researchers.

The Interior Ministry, according to the statement, established a human rights sector, which aims to communicate with civil society organizations concerned with human rights and educate all officers and police personnel of those rights.

The head of the National Council for Women, Mervat al-Talawy, had met with Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin to discuss the issue of sexual violence, which reports of which have increased recently.

Talawy had asked the minister to strengthen security patrols, especially in front of schools and busy streets, and to apply the law, which was released recently, that harshens the penalty for harassment‫and assault.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/in ... t-strategy

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Interior Ministry changes harassment strategy

Post by Teddyboy »

I didn't know we had a 'Morality Police'. Or are they just not active at all in Luxor?
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

First time I've seen a "Morality Police" department actually named .... it smacks a bit of Saudi Arabia! But Luxor always had morality policemen (certainly on the West Bank) among the secret police, the Amn al-Dawla (various transliterations!,) collecting reports on morals transgressors!
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Wouldnt it be a good idea to have a few female police officers walking up and down the corniche in civilian clothes? Id love to see the faces of some of our gigolos when some beautiful lady turns to them with a smile, in reply to their invitation, and says "You're nicked mate" ( or the arabic equivalent).
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I have been to many gala nights in Cairo with famous representatives of Egyptian dance and music on stage with an audience mainly of foreign female dance students and a relieving absence of men. We have wondered what a couple of mature gentlemen were doing sitting at a table without ordering anything, focusing on the performance without seeming to enjoy it at all. They were the Morality Police, nothing new, but I have not heard it mentioned in Luxor.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

There always have been morality police, the same as there has always been sharia law in all of Egypt, luxor included but it will only increase as sharia law stengthens.
The people of Egypt have expressed approval for this many times

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ans-a.aspx
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"there has always been sharia law in all of Egypt"

My (trustworthy) lawyer has always been at pains to impress upon me that all the laws in Egypt are derived from and subservient (is that the right word?) to the 'Sharia'.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Yes I think that sums it up well TB :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!