Obama re-elected!

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Obama re-elected!

Post by LivinginLuxor »

If there were a god, I'd thank him for the election result - he obviously doesn't want competition from the Mor(m)ons!

I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Obama re-elected!

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Not being a lover of politics or religion, I have nothing to do with either and normally I would not care a jot. BUT, If my sources are correct, then this is indeed excellent news... Time will tell.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Pretty convincing victory, too :up . And there we were being fed stuff about it being on a knife-edge right up until the last moment!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That's great now in his 2nd term he just might be able to do a bit of good for the World....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

My Sources say he will Doctor. So far the predictions are correct. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

TonyC. The popular vote was close with Obama getting 50.2% of the vote and Romney 48.2%. The electoral college (303 to 206 for Obama) often doesn't reflect the popular vote indeed it is possible for a candidate to win the popular vote and lose the electoral college and therefore the presidency.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Obama's winning speech made no mention of foreign affairs or relations with the Islamic world (as in the Cairo Speech) - it was all domestic. In any event the Cairo speech seems not to have been followed up by action so you wonder about his earlier intentions and whether he will do anything more in his 2nd term.

TonyC is right all the polls got it wrong by a mile but he still only won by a wisker on the popular vote so whatever intentions he may now have to forge ties with the ME will be based on a weak mandate and his election campaign which hardly mentioned the region.

Whether he can do anything for the ME will depend on Congress support and this looks unlikely. The Republicans don't like the Middle East (except for Israel) nor international aid. On the positive side O. is unlikely to bomb Iran any time soon and seems to have a balanced approach to Israel - so attitudes to Westerners in the area probably wont be as bad had the alternative been elected.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

At least he seems to have made the majority of underprivileged latinos and afro americans 'put a smile on their faces, it's about time the real population of americans, not living 'the american dream let the rest of the world really know 'it's just nothing but a dream!...:cool:
PS 'same **** different day'
emblazoned in rainbow colors a birthday present, t-shirt from an incarcerated provo in the scrubbs 199O.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I like the idea of the Electoral College, for a federal democracy. Each state votes for a president, and depending on the number of congressmen and senators in that state (which depends on the population), it gives it's electoral college votes to the winning candidate. So, although the popular vote margin was low, when taken on the whole voting population, the margin in the electoral college was much higher. Such a system could work for a European President!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan