Know Egypt ? I wonder.....

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Know Egypt ? I wonder.....

Post by Who2 »

I have just learnt that JJ's Bar has been forced to close it's doors.

Quote:
This is a sign of the direction that Egypt is moving in.
JJ's Bar & Restaurant is now closed because of a furniture spray factory which has been allowed to open next door to a fully touristic licensed Bar & Restaurant. see more.....

What chance has anyone of investing in this Country when the above is allowed to happen.
To my mind Axel and Julie ran a very well organized Bar and Restaurant all-be it wrongly located to my mind, they worked very hard as did their loyal staff, they and their business will sadly and sorely missed.

Where I come from an unknown associate would have 'Molotov'd it whilst an unexpected holiday was in progress.
Just goes to show what nice people they are.
Come West is best...."ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM'..........:cool:

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Know Egypt ? I wonder.....

Post by Dusak »

I think that this could be a bit of an exaggeration as I live nearly next door to the place in question (the 'factory' not JJ's as they are a little farther on). The furniture that is being sprayed is for the very large block of flats that has been completed and will, so I am told, take another three to four weeks. Yes it does stink when the wind is in the wrong direction what with the thinners and varnish and paints. It is out of order but what can you do about it? It will soon be finished. I'm surprised that they have not complained about the garage that was set up some months ago directly opposite to their restaurant. All day and into the night they are banging bodywork, using the power washer and causing other forms of nuisance. Don't get me wrong, these people are friends and I wouldn't like to see their business go under as a result of this. I think perhaps that it will only be a temporary closure until the spraying is completed. But, its just another example of the mindset of these people, they don't give a toss about us. We are here, they put up with us if there is something to gain from it. Many times in the past when I first came here with my ''that's not British attitude'' I was told, once or twice in no uncertain terms, to mind my own business as it was THEIR country, not mine.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

What renting out furnished flats, to whom ? somehow I think Axel would have checked out all the variables..:cool:
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Dusak wrote:Many times in the past when I first came here with my ''that's not British attitude'' I was told, once or twice in no uncertain terms, to mind my own business as it was THEIR country, not mine.
As millions of Brits do back there to incomers. As happens in every country, including mine. As they are entitled to.
Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

As my mate 'once was heard, to comment to his earnest-while rock-star 'lay-about Son, and I add. a wee bit ******
"Listen Son'.....it's like this, 'If you lay-down with panthers expect to get bit" now and again! listen and learn, sinners.....:cool:
Sophocles.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

The difference is WI in Britain you have to obtain permission and licenses to do this you also have to have proper spray booths according to Health and Safety Act.

Have the furniture sprayers had permission to do what they are doing? have they got the licenses in place? and have they registered what they are doing with the Aurthorities.

I fear that JJ's is not a temporary closure but a permenant one, and its such a shame really the amount of work that Axl and Jules have put in does not deserve this at all. But rumour has it that this closure has been on the cards. I do hope not, I hate to think that people who have set up business's in Luxor, get subjected to this type of thing. But we all know that due to the situation in Luxor regarding tourists business's including those that are owned by local people are only just managing to keep afloat. i sometimes wonder why they continue, it must be so frustrating and downheartning. Makes you wonder who will be next?

Another big problem in Luxor is that being a foriegner in Luxor if anything goes wrong you will get no backup, there is no one in authority to give you help, and the legal system is in a right mess.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I too hope the closure won't be for long. But, to correct Choc a little, the governor has set up a department specifically to help the foreigners living here with problems just like that. As JJs is fully licenced, pays taxes etc it is of value to the government here to ensure it is kept open.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough Who2. The block of flats were completed many months ago. The men are spraying the furniture outside in the street. As I stated, this is virtually next to me, not JJ's. However, I made some inquiries last night about this and the furniture is being prepared for the new coffee house in the next street and will end shortly. According to the men, no one has said anything to them. I think that the car work shop that faces them is the main problem, even more so after I was given more information last night concerning the very large building that fronts the main street and backs onto this garage. Work has started on it two days ago and it will be for the sale of new cars and the like with some other type of work that my taxi driver spy couldn't get information about as yet. It will be a shame if it has to close as it achieved a good reputation and they have worked hard to obtain this. As for getting permission to do this work in the street, dream on, they continue to do as they please, whenever, wherever they like. No discussion.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:The difference is WI in Britain you have to obtain permission and licenses to do this you also have to have proper spray booths according to Health and Safety Act.
Of course, and it's the same here. So one has a right to complain if there are such laws and they are flouted. But if no such laws exist, then they are entitled to do it that way. Do such laws exist in Egypt?
Carpe diem! :le:
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

I do not really know of any laws in Egypt, I am beginning to think there are none, its made up as the local people go along. I can assure you of one thing as a foriegner living in Egypt you have no protection at all, either from the draconian Legal system or any other Authoritive system.
Its this problem that makes me wonder if they intend to protect foriegn investers in the future, because if they don't they will find it difficult to find outside investment of any kind. Including myself too many people have now lost too much money to local clefties and it seems the law is on the clefties side.

I am so sorry for JJ's Jules and Axl worked so hard to build the place up and they really do deserve backing from both us as Europeans and the Authorities that can prevent this type of thing happening. Far too much liberation has been given to the local people and when it starts getting reigned in again there are going to be many problems.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Also to carry on from what L in L has said, he is perfectly right, registered business's that pay tax should be given the correct and proper back-up from the authorities, it is in their interests, thanks L in L for bringing this to everyones attention, it is small but a major point.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes. that's all fine and dandy when you are honest enough to pay your dues, but what about all those that operate their businesses without having the proper paperwork and licenses that they require to sell the goods that they sell? Are they expecting this help from the powers that be? Selling alcohol for instance without a tourist license allowing them to do so. It needs proper operating rule's and regulations that are followed to the letter and enforced when necessary.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:wave: :d1: :wave:
:br :wi :eat :lv :clap: :jig: :py 8)
:2luv: :song: :bh: :d2: :hug: