Egypt parliament review: A week of laws

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt parliament review: A week of laws

Post by DJKeefy »

Parliament reconvened on Sunday after a week-long suspension of its sessions due to a dispute between the Muslim Brotherhood (which holds the highest number of seats) and the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces over the fate of the cabinet. The violent clashes in Abbaseyya had taken place during that week of suspension.

After spending Sunday’s session lashing out at each other and blaming different sides for the violence, MPs used the rest of the week to resolve several important items of legislation and settle the cabinet issue.

Early in the week, Parliamentary Speaker Saad al-Katatny announced that the military rulers had promised him an imminent cabinet reshuffle. On Monday, the Parliament agreed to postpone a scheduled cabinet interrogation and some MPs told the media that it had agreed not to escalate the crisis amid negotiations with the SCAF.

After SCAF head Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi met with a parliamentary delegation, a limited reshuffle of three ministers was announced on Thursday.

It was also a week of legislation.

On Sunday the Parliament passed a law that makes the thanaweya amma, the high school years in which students' final grades determine the public colleges they can apply to, one year instead of two.

A more controversial law was passed on the same day with amendments to the military trials law. Three months in the making, the amended law, proposed by SCAF member Mamdouh Shaheen, took away the right of the president to refer civilians to military trials but maintained the exclusive right of the military judiciary to determine its own jurisdiction. Many human rights activists and organizations criticized the amendments as insufficient.

A law passed in the Parliament on Monday started up a new animosity between it and the Presidential Elections Commission (PEC).

In an attempt to balance out Article 28 of the Presidential Elections Law, which prohibits appealing the PEC’s decisions, the law prohibits appointing the PEC judges to any executive or legislative position until the end of the elected president’s term.

Members of the commission said the law questions their integrity and issued a statement the next day threatening to suspend their activities and demanding the military council respond to this "insult."

The Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee passed a law that increases the penalty for torture. According to the new law, participating, carrying out, assisting or instigating torture is punishable by five years in prison. The law also states that if the victim dies the torturer will be prosecuted for murder, and that witnesses to torture who fail to report it are to be punished with a one-year sentence.

A special committee has also finished drafting a police law that improves the rights of police force members.

The Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee also discussed on Sunday a law to pardon toppled president Hosni Mubarak’s political prisoners, but got stuck determining the definition of a political charge.

Parliament also granted a law that diminishes its own powers an initial agreement and returned it to the Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee for further amendments. The law states that complaints over the validity of MPs' membership are to be seen by the appeals’ court and not by the Parliament itself, as is the case now.

The phrase “The Parliament is its own master” has become infamous for its use by the formerly ruling National Democratic Party which used this principle to prohibit the expulsion of its members, who often gained membership by elections rigging, and to exclude opposition members without fear of judiciary interference.

A law proposed by Salafi MP Ali Katamesh to limit the powers of Al-Azhar stirred disapproval from the members of the largest Sunni institution in the region. The law proposes removing the article that states that Al-Azhar is the final judge on religious matters, and proposes that its grand sheikh be elected rather than appointed.

Parliament is expected to start a discussion of the judiciary law next week by hearing various figures including the head of the Supreme Judicial Council and the Judges’ Club. The new law is said to aim to grant the judiciary more independence from the executive branch.

With an Islamic majority in the Parliament, a weekly Islamic dose is inevitable. A law was passed that increases the punishment for printing the Quran with false content to 10 to 15 years. The law also states that unlicensed printing of the Quran is punishable by a LE100,000 - 200,000 fine.

An MP suggested to the Economic Affairs Committee the use of Islamic banking in all Egypt’s banks, but the suggestion was rejected by the government's representative in the meeting, who said it would harm the economy.

This week’s parliamentary Youtube moment occurred when MP Tarek Morsy stood up holding a game imported from China. He said it produces sounds that insult one of Prophet Mohamed’s wives. Katatny referred the MP’s request to the Economic Affairs Committee, considering it an import issue.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/pa ... -week-laws

Gordon292

Re: Egypt parliament review: A week of laws

Post by Gordon292 »

Now I readily admit to not being a technophobe but being an ex mobile dj could put together a super sound system. I am at a loss to know why you go to all the trouble to type all this out, when clicking on the source link at the bottom of the page in blue brings the whole story up.

I have also in the past been likened to a TROLL so would this have something to do with my not understanding why you type out the whole article.It seems I have a lot to learn.

Mind you some time ago I borrowed a book from the library,Computers for dunces,and the only thing I learnt from it was that the first thing to do is switch on monitor.

Ah well there is a saying,ignorance is bliss,maybe that applies in my case.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Yeah it took a long long time to type, so sorry for the short reply, my fingers are hurting :roll:
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Been likened to TROLL as well Gordon292,but hey ho,live and let live....and keep posting!
All credit to DJ Keefy,you keep us informed.(and by way,that's genuine sentiment,not sarcastic remark!)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. :mrgreen:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

However the info gets posted is fine by me. I enjoy the updates.....
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I'm not so sure - I would have thought that a short precis in the poster's own words, followed by a link to the full article would be better than a long cut&paste job followed by the link to the self-same article! And of course, it is easier to read the article in its original format given the format of the forum. Many of the topics chosen are from online newspapers like Al-Ahram or Egypt Independent, which I scan through daily, so normally I don't bother with the versions here. I did in this case because I saw it had 6 replies, whereas normally most don't seem to have any replies, and I was interested in the discussion that might have arisen!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

And of course they are your thoughts Stan!!

Not everyone reads the above mentioned papers, the format on the original sites is not always better (on some sites the font is way too small), we might only get a few replies on some topics but the articles do get read. You have your way of posting and others have their way.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I really appreciate them, but wouldn't go to the trouble to open links as sometimes it takes my steam computer a few minutes to load another page!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Thanks Teddyboy, Im pleased that you appreciate them :)

Like with everything in life, some will like some will dislike, its impossible to please everyone :|