Monuments under dire threat

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Monuments under dire threat

Post by Kevininabydos »

Due to the inactivity and lack of coherent leadership monuments are under threat of destruction! The northern end of Amenhotep III Temple on the west bank of Luxor is a prime case. Here the ground water has risen so much due to the neglect of this site since the troubles began that there will be little left unless something is done now to help save it.

This is what the site looks like now!

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

But the pumping station is still working, so I can't see why there is groundwater. I pass the temple quite often (yes, you know where I'm going!) and haven't seen any groundwater in the main temple yet.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Is it just me or are there others on here, this picture that kevin has posted, I can not raise, all I get is a white box with a red cross in it. If I click on to it, nothing happens. This happens, it seems all the time, with all pics from members.

Any suggestions please.
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

I think that is what you get if you have not logged on A-four, although you can see certain posts you cannot see any photos????
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

That is shocking Kevin! So sad- they need to get their act together otherwise there will be nothing left for future generations!
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

This is a sad fact.....nothing lasts forever though and all things eventually disappear.

Always turmoil in countries causes destruction, consider the precious buddhas of Bamiyan....blown apart by the taliban.
Consider the many times that the temple in Jerusalem was flattened, finally for good by the Romans in 70 AD. That such artifacts have survived from antiquity is remarkable. But they are fragile as is human society and its governments.

Nature will wreak the greatest destruction of all in the final analysis and like with king canute, no mere mortal can stop this.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well it's probably the water pipe from Medinet Habu that's leaking, 'not that I'm casting any nasturtiums....'well not much........8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

You can pick 'em and put 'em in your salads dr, both the flowers and the leaves! :P :lol:
Carpe diem! :le:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yer Jo Jo I think you are right, but then again we have to log in to look at this part of the forum?

Now, in recent times, say about 25 years ago September to December, if I remember right, there was always water in this area, to a depth of about one foot. When they started work there, I said they would find nothing..........how wrong I was though.

Over the past five year I have seen serious deteriation at Habou Temple, I know this new drainage system is now in place, but really I have seen no improvement, and look farward to being there soon in the hope that it has in the last six monthes.
DIANA

Post by DIANA »

I am very surprised to read that this is what the site looks like now. I was there last week and saw nearly all the monuments covered and no water apparent. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I knew that old 'doppleganger 'Dr Who had this stills picture from the 196O's, from the film Khartoum..........8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The picture is so true which the Dr has put up, its depth was about 12inch or may be 18inch in some places. I could not honestly believe you would be able to find the wonderful things that this team have found in that area.

One should also remember even before the present high dam, during the Winter, one could catch fish with a rod from the back garden gate of the old inspectors office in Carter's time, which now is Sheikh Ali's old hotel, or what ever they call it now, remember though, that was in the days of the old British dam at Asswan.

Many thanks for the picture Dr.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That's a buffalo in the foreground, so it's a bit more than 18 inches deep, more like 4 feet or 4 hooves, to be precise........8)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

yer true, but like me, you know the land dips around that area, but look near to the plythes, I think you will agree thats about 18ins, but then again you and I don't give a **** anyhow, its under water, and thats enough for us.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Word of this is now hitting the internet [my source was an archaeologist who will remain nameless]. Google translate doesn't do a great job of the translation but anyway here is a link: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... d%3D126298

Link found via: http://www.kv64.info/
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Since the drainage was installed, the sacred lake at Habu is more like a sacred puddle, so it is gradually beginning to work.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

You keep mentioning Medinet Habu, this is Ramesess III's Temple which is half a mile away; these photo's are of the northern end of Amenhotep III's Temple at Kom el Hattan [also know as Memnon]. Are you deliberately trying to divert attention away from this issue?

Marcus Aurelius
DIANA

Post by DIANA »

It would seem that this flooding has occured in only the past few days and is indeed a tradgedy for all the hard work of some of the finest archeologist in Egypt. When I was there last week there appeared to be some workers on site as there was a large tent errected at the far end of the temple site. I hope they can solve this problem quickly and that minimum damage has been done.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

We went out there yesterday and checked over the complete site most carefully.
There is NO ground water or flooding anywhere to be seen. We checked the deep excavated pits and even at 2 meters below the local ground level they were completely dry! We then looked along the line of the drainage pipe to the west end of the site heading towards the Ramusseum pumping house. Completely dry there as well.
The only possibility for that picture was to the far side (north) in the area of the recent excavations near the Toth statues but we could not venture in that area as it is an active site and too far from the road to see clearly. However, if the water was there it would have certainly been apparent on the main site.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Kevininabydos wrote:these photo's are of the northern end of Amenhotep III's Temple at Kom el Hattan

Marcus Aurelius