Photo Editing and Manipulation

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Photo Editing and Manipulation

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think this is also a terrific topic but I am such a novice. I can crop but that is about all. I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out much more.

Is there anyway (hint Horus who is the MASTER editor) able to do a thread - Photo Editing for Dummies for those like ME who are just not getting their poor old tired brains around the editing function?

Could this thread somehow incorporate basics and move through to more advanced techniques on photo editing?

Once bitten

Post by Once bitten »

A lot depends on the software on your P.C.
8) 8) 8) 8)
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

If you are using Photoshop, http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/ has many free video tutorials, and there are literally hundreds of sites giving free tutorials for the major photoediting programs. Just Google the name of your software and 'tutorials', and try them.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Once bitten wrote:A lot depends on the software on your P.C.
8) 8) 8) 8)
Agreed :) but you still have to know how to use it ;)
bigken
Vietnam

Post by bigken »

So what is your choice in software for Photo - Editing, i seem to use Adobe Lightroom 2 most, but i also have Nikons NX2 ( got it free when i bought my camera)

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There are lots of good ones available :) some can be very expensive to buy and to be honest they are aimed at professionals. PhotoShop is a good example, great program but you need to dedicate half your life to understanding all aspects of how it works. On the opposite side of the coin there are lots of bog standard programmes that often come bundled with a camera’s software that will perform basic types of editing quite well such as cropping, or adjusting contrast or colour.
A good freebie is of course Picasa, it is easy to use and has some good features, but best of all it does not actually make any permanent changes to your photographs, anything that you change can always be undone, unlike some other editing programmes, however it is quite limited.

My own personal choice is the Corel Paint Shop Pro PHOTO X2 Ultimate which is one of the most intuitive editing programs that I have used and can be purchased quite cheaply (avoid buying the very latest release to save money). ;)
It can be either very sophisticated or very basic depending upon your own requirements, it is the one I use all the time. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have what Horus suggested - Corel Photoshop 2nd edition. I use the "Express Lab" only at this time cause the rest is a bit beyond me. The actual instruction book that came with the CD/program isn't too elaborate and I couldn't understand it either very well so I just finished buying a larger book on this program called "Picture Yourself Learning Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo x2". Just got it a bit ago and must admit I haven't done any serious reading in it 'yet'. Written by Diane Koers. And as H suggests this is version 2 so VERY CHEAP and I can't imagine paying five times as much for the latest version cause this version is VERY COMPREHENSIVE itself....

I tried Picassa cause it is free (and you have to remember "I" am pretty dumb) but I couldn't figure out the instructions. It did turn flower photos out onto "linen" and that made some of my flower pics really beautiful (and you won't find Linen on Corel)

Good luck!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I use Photoshop CS4 for 'serious' editing, and Xara Designer for 'quick and cheerful' editing.

It's a good idea to download the 30day free trial version of any photoediting program so that you can see whether they are easy for you to learn and use. All the major programs have them available on their websites.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

For many years I used Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition. I am sure it came as a freebie with a photo mag. It quotes system requirements as Windows 95, 98, NT so that gives an idea of age. I have uninstalled it now because it was giving conflicts with other editors but it was SO easy to use and the layers facility was very user friendly.

Like many of you I now just use Paint Shop Pro but, to be honest, without H's help I would struggle a bit.....the help files are not, well, helpful!

No doubt that Photoshop is the top program at a high price. I see this particularly on free demo discs that come with my mag where some amazing editing is demonstrated....
Grandad :gg:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

PS. Forgot to mention the best freebie good old Picasa.
I think its folder arrangement is excellent and I can get to any of my near 20,000 images almost immediately. :)

I also think its limited editing functions are more than adequate for the quick fixes like: Alignment, Cropping, Repair, Colour, Sharpness and B & W conversion.

And the collage feature is good fun. :)
Grandad :gg: