Pastimes..'So What's your Desert Island Discs.?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Pastimes..'So What's your Desert Island Discs.?

Post by Who2 »

Plus you get three funeral tunes, so it's serious we have long memories... 8)

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Hmmm got many like im sure you do... but here's 3 that i keep remembering 8)

Martha And The Muffins - Echo Beach
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Boomtown Rats - Rat Trap
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

meatloaf - i would do anything for love (+ most of Meatoaf)
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I too like the works of Jim Steinman, the gentleman who writes Meat Loaf songs..

Now, I dont thnk the good Doctor in his new 'guise limited us to only three tunes, they were for the funeral...

so,

the Funeral tunes..

Pachelbel's Canon in D Major

(I prefer the version with the Harpsichord) makes for better listening in stereo).

then this.
Styx - come Sail Away.

(wait till the last lines) ;)

Finish the funeral with a message ;)
M-People - Search for the Hero

Songs in General..
Being a fan of ANY music that is good, Abba to Zepplin,
including classical music which is good for the soul so they say...
here's a couple.

Carlos Santana - Samba Pa Ti

(A personal hero of mine, who made it big despite the b@stards)

Styx Castle Walls.

( I painted that entire picture on my bedroom wall when I was in college )
(R.I.P Cozy)

and for the quite moments..
Bach's Violin Concerto

I doubt I would be satisfied at just those songs and music, but if that's all I could choose and based on how I feel at the moment 8)
Anyhow, I could always listen to Keefy's selection which I quite like..
I notice the Good doctor has not revealed any choices ! c'mon Doc' you started this..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

What a question though !!!
It's like when someone asks you your top ten favourite songs of all time..........well they change according to my mood and there can't only be ten and where to start !
I'm loving some of the choices from Z and Keefy,but I would have to have Freebird as one at my funeral cos I've been saying I would for twenty odd years and people would only be disappointed if I didn't :lol:
I'll have to give this a bit of thought ............................
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Martha and the Muffins????? :roll:
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

MM I agree, Freebird is definitely one of my all time favourites :D
Jo

Post by Jo »

Ok this was a hard one as I have quite a music festival for my funeral and 3 just isn't a festival so here is my mini fest
From the top

The Reasoning - Breaking the 4th Wall. Have to be loyal to one of my fav bands that my dear friend is now Keyboard player with (not the one in this vid)

Fish - The Company. reminds me of all my Fish fan friends who are 'solidly singular, totally trustworthy, straight and sincere, polished, experienced, witty and charming' as the song says

Fish - Gentleman's Excuse Me - if it's my funeral I'm gonna be tired of dancing and it's a great emotional song for lots of tears.

Within Temptation - Swan song. For milking the crowd for tears and sorrow. Also I thinks it has amazingly moving words and hope the end is as serene as this in reality.

Within Temptation - Somewhere. Beautiful lyrics and 2 of the best voices in gothic rock alongside a symphony orchestra. Again might induce tears.

And of course no rockin funeral would be the same without a bit of Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi - It's my Life

Anyone coming to my mini fest?

If anyone liked The Reasoning I can say they are even better now my mate is with them but I'm bias:) here is a promo vid with him in. They Rock :song:

hmmmm I've just wasted hours on youtube but got my funeral sorted now thanks x
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd ( well 3 of the songs including Freebird) if I am in the mood,
damn good songs, shame about the plane crash though :?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Loving Jo's "It's My Life" funeral song.. Irony is great 8)
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

1 - Dylan, Desolation Row - removed from YouTube by Sony Music
2 - Leonard Cohen & Jennifer Warnes, Joan of Arc

3 - Enya, May It Be

4 - Joan Baez, Diamonds and Rust

5 - Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah

6 - Marianne Faithfull, The Ballad of Lucy Jordan

7 - John Lennon, Working Class Hero

8 - Wagner, Magic Fire Music

Maybe a weird selection but I really do like them - to me the words/poetry are more important than the ability to jig around to the rythm.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Jo

Post by Jo »

Nice choice there Stan. Like a few of them.
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

Mine would have to be
1) Two out of 3 ain't bad -Meatloaf
2) Secret love - Doris Day
3)I need you tonight - INXS
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Love the Diamonds & Rust choice Stan :) must go and have another listen :)
"When you burst onto the scene already a legend" :lol:

I have to agree about the poetry bit, I love songs by the likes of Bob Dylan or Simon & Garfunkel because they are real poets, not just any old song but each one contains a story or an observation.
Last edited by Horus on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Nice topic Dr. my three desert island discs, well for someone who really likes all kinds of music this is a difficult one, but I suppose that I would start with one that takes me right back to my early youth and frequenting the ‘Youth Clubs’ that did so much to keep us off the streets in those days. This one reminds me of my first crush. :oops:

Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks always takes me back to some of the best and worst times in my life, fantastic memories of long gone friends and places.

Number three would reflect my motor-biking ‘Rocker’ era, so any Meatloaf would do as he captures the mood so well even though he is of a later generation. Paradise by the Dashboard Light is a classic, but I love the female vocals on this one, “so now I’m praying for the end of time, to hurry up and arrive” :lol:

The funeral:
The service would start outside the church and it would have to be held on a sunny day, so it may have to be delayed a few times. Glasses of champagne would be handed out and a selection of good wines would be available, Eva Cassidy singing Fields of Gold would be relayed over the PA system outside the church, the song being a reminder of how much I enjoyed the things and people around me.

Now that you are all feeling suitably sad, I would have Enya singing Orinoco Flow as this represents my belief that we are all just a combination of elements found in nature, that after our demise will become free again and eventually combine into something else and become a part of that other entity. (turn your volume down, its a bit loud)

After a few good eulogies about what a nice guy I was and after much wringing of hands at my passing, I would end with Time to say goodbye by Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli and if the Doc can arrange the choreography, I would like the coffin to start decending at around the 2 min 25 second mark with escaping flames reaching their peak at about the 3 min 30 seconds and the curtains slowly starting to close at exactly 4.0 minutes. (turn your volume up high)

Now go and finish the Champagne and the wine.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

There are many lovely and memorable songs, I always like Ben E King singing "stand by me" an all time favourite, Love Eva Cassidy and Enya , but I think that i would have to have jewels Lullaby

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is my very favourite Enya song - it is exquisitly beautiful, always takes my breath away ................ :D

Or for something different

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

crazycat
United Kingdom

Post by crazycat »

for my funeral Green Days 'Time of your Life' and Monty Pythons 'Always look on the bright side of life' are two musts

Really couldn't choose for my island as I have so many favourites, think I'd need 3 for every decade lol! but Bon Jovi would definitely be in there somewhere :)

For Stan, My Chemical Romance did a version of Desolation Row which I love but I'm not so sure Stan would (could be wrong though)!!!!
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I think it's tantamount to sacrilege to have someone covering "Desolation Row"! I was also dismayed to see Stan choose a cover of "Hallelujah", especially when he had the good taste to pick another track by the fabulous Cohen.
Des. Row (Dylan, of course) and "Dance Me to the End of Love" by Leonard Cohen would be among my top tunes, along with"Cat's Squirrel" by Cream, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" by the Animals and selections from "Messiah", "The Crucifixion" and "Olivet to Calvary". I couldn't go without also a selection of hymns from the old (1933) Methodist Hymn Book either.
The problem is that I haven't even considered anything from the world of traditional folk music, which is never far from my (almost constant) "silent singing"!
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

The funeral selections (I want to go gently!) would have to be:
The adagio second movement from Schubert's String Quintet;
The "In Paradisum" from Faure's Requiem (not religious but what a heart-easing sound to go out on);
Beim Schlafengehen (Going to Sleep) from Strauss's Four Last Songs.

But the mood needs lightening. As a Luxor resident, perhaps my first choice should be Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty!
crazycat
United Kingdom

Post by crazycat »

Teddyboy, have you listened to Jeff Buckleys version of halelujah? It's wonderful but then so is Jon Bon Jovi's, infact I like both better than Cohens original. My Chemical Romance did Desolation Row for the film the Watchman, it's a real upbeat version, almost punk and I think it's much better than Dylans version, but that's just my opinion :mrgreen:
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

crazycat,
I've heard two versions of Hallelujah other than Mr Cohen's. They made such an impression that I've no idea who sang them, sorry. Maybe it's a generational thing as well?
As for Mr Dylan, it's to do with the soul. Something like John the Baptist, "crying in the wilderness". Now that I think of it, that also applies to Cohen. Poets are queer people, don't you think?