Daramali house

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

meretseger

Daramali house

Post by meretseger »

I heard last night that the authorities have taken the Daramali house yesterday...The one that Hawass and Farag agreed would remain as a museum of Old Qurna.They are also rumoured to be demolishing the mosque down by the nobles car park ,I wonder if Sheikh abd'el Qurna will be safe.i assume its to stop there being any reason for anyone to walk in any part of old Qurna except for the ticketed tombs....and if that means that the walkways to them will be walled in too.Has anyone heard anything?

meretseger
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

WHich is where? Is it Caroline Simpson's Qurna Discovery again? Or is it the large house with the porch near Rekhmire's tomb? If so, it has been used by the government for several months now - guardians and inspectors use it as their office and a family still lives there.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
meretseger

Post by meretseger »

Qurna discovery
meretseger
drwho

Post by drwho »

[quote="LivinginLuxor" Or is it the large house with the porch near Rekhmire's tomb? If so, it has been used by the government for several months now - guardians and inspectors use it as their office and a family still lives there.[/quote]
Is that the old Davis House the one used in BBC as Carters?......... 8)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

I am sure Davis House is in the Monkey Valley, well it was a few monthes ago.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: Post.

Post by Kevininabydos »

A-Four wrote:I am sure Davis House is in the Monkey Valley, well it was a few monthes ago.
Well, you know what it is like here A-Four, if it's not nailed down................
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Yes, it's true - Qurna Discovery has been totally demolished - they made a better job of it than any of the other houses. I'd like to know who is responsible, because they will get (hopefully) get into serious trouble over this. Not only Zahi, but Culture Minister Farouk Hosni guaranteed that it would not be demolished. So the higher reaches of the government have guaranteed it, but local despots like the governor have disobeyed orders from above.
Stan
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And this is the bunch of clowns that want other museums to send back works of art and cultural heritage? what a joke :mrgreen:
meretseger

Post by meretseger »

I heard that it was the Antiquities dept.themselves who ordered the demolition...aand it wasn't a good clearance.It was earthmovers again and they also knocked down the wall over the tomb of Nakht and who knows what else underneath and have no doubt caused a lot of damage to anything below.I have pictures of the movers there ..if anyone needs them..it was a long hot walk to get them as there is now no access directly from the road as it is all walled off.I'm sure this was the reason for its demise...it will be impossible for anyone to walk in the hills or in the tomb valleys by the end of this summer I reckon,except for the places with tickets.It will be police with guns patrolling ,like the horrible one that tried to stop me going the other day.Of all the terrible changes here in Luxor,and all we have had to watch without being able to help at all,this closing off the mountains and desert is one of the hardest to live with.
meretseger
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I think it is only a few visitors and ex-pats who protest about the possible closure of the hills - I've never heard an Egyptian complain about it. Perhaps it's a cultural thing - in Britain there is a 'right to roam', protected by legislation. Here there is no such thing - no-one has, or even should expect, to be free to wander where they want.

Yes, it will be sad if one cannot explore the open tombs on the hills - even I enjoy that - but it is quite natural in a highly controlled state like Egypt.

I think maybe the best answer is to contact a Mr Warizi (spelling?) at his office near the ticket office to find out if these rumours are true, and whether he can give permission - maybe in the form of a letter - for the truly interested to be able to continue to walk the hills.
Stan
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

I do not want to do a.......I told you so, but I did warn.

Many people who I know come to stay in Luxor for upto four monthes, during the Winter,if they can not walk in the hills, they will not come.Its as simple as that. While there are enough tourists in Luxor then fine, but when things are slow, then thats a different matter.

By the end of August,I shall ask the forum what the situation is, as a number of people in the UK will need to know.

I find it very sad that Daramali house has been destroyed, after all the hard work that has gone into this. With regards to the wall at Nakht tomb, it is well known that the two tombs in this area are the finest in the whole of the WB, God only knows what damage has been done to this recently restored, (by the American's.) tomb. This is trully an international scandal.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The closure of the hills will affect a few of the locals who take walking parties and donkey rides up the hills Stan. I know of a cuople of familis that depend on this trade who live on the W.B.

I love my walks around the hills and out into the great blue, if that gets stopped, then from my point of view, I may as well find another place of great historic value.. Sadly most of the places I want to visit are in bloody war zones at the moment, or too unstable to expose Mrs Z to.

in the last 3 years I have spent about 6 months out in Luxor within 9 visits, Mrs Z and I have an arrangement, she gets to relax and chill out, and I get to go to do what I want to...

Is there a significant number of "B.T"'s like me I wonder ? who may have to take their business elsewhere...

People have walked those hills and valleys unhindered for thousands of years.. Thank you Mr Hawass :x
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Another step towards Disneyland :mrgreen:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

I did a little ringing around over the week-end and today. Although I am not going to name names here,a couple seemed quite shocked with what has happened at Nakht tomb, but stated that sadly little can be done by the international set these days.No one dares to put his or her head on the block.

I learnt that Daramali House is to be re-located, but not near Carter House. Until about a year ago I could get loads of information, about the future of Luxor and the WB, but it seems everything is politically charged these days, all for glint of gold.

I had a chat with with an friend in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago. I told him how angry I am about all the things going wrong in Upper Egypt."Who are we to say what the future will be", was his only comment on the subject.

As long as Sheikh abdel Qurna's tomb is in the hills no one will stop me from going there, but for the other hills, it 'maybe' a little difficult,.....we shall see.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Was it not the Quest for gold that strangled Egyptology in the first place ?
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

No, it was what started it all off!
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Surely though, if they hadn't been chasing the Gold and bothered to look at Saqquara where the Heiroglyphs had been partially translated by an Islamic Scholar, then Archaelologists would have had more of a clue as to what they were looking for, rather than having to wait for the discovery and translation of the Rosetta stone.

I wonder how much evidence was damaged during the frustration of not finding Gold and significant finds.. ?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It always surprises me that people never put these things into context.
All of these things lay buried or neglected for thousands of years, it was only when explorer types or adventurers come across them that the original discoveries are made. When taken out of context we call these people vandals and villains but that is with hindsight, OK we would not wish to do that today but we have to accept what was the norm at the time of the discovery. It is not as though we already had an established archaeological background when most of these things took place.

In more modern times who would have thought that the Mayan pyramid complexes lay hidden in the jungles of South America. So if an amateur explorer were to be hacking his way through a jungle and made an previously unknown discovery of a lost race or culture and blasted a few rocks away to gain access to cave system and made a great discovery, would we later condemn him because he had inadvertently damage something we later called precious? Alternatively, what if they had been blasting a road through the jungle and found that they had cut through the 'Pyramid of the Moon' without realising it was there.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The Mayan pyramids are obvious to anyone clearing the jungle - more clearances, more pyramids and cities, and of course satellite imaging points out likely sites.

Here it is different. It's highly unlikely that we would find much above ground.
Stan
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The Mayan pyramids are obvious to anyone clearing the jungle -
That is where you are wrong, many of the lesser known sites were so overgrown that they were hardly identifiable as to what they really were. A few small walls remaining or some other tell tale sign that may be recognisable today, but only because people now know what to look for.