I know...Why do we dream

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

little_angel_204

I know...Why do we dream

Post by little_angel_204 »

I know this most likley sounds daft but why do we have dreams? what is the use of them. all of mine confuse me!

Becky x

Mother. Daughter. Partner. PCOS Warrior. Uni Student.
tannaz

Post by tannaz »

this is an informative link Lilangle, try it .
http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215623 ... edream.htm
little_angel_204

Post by little_angel_204 »

thanks 4 that hun...
Mother. Daughter. Partner. PCOS Warrior. Uni Student.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Quite a good article - and it least it gives a fair explanation as to why, without bothering about interpretations!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Our dreams are our communication with higher self :) Helps us connect with our subconcious... takes us out of time and connects with past and future.
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Our dreams are not a communication with any theoretical higher self - they are vital to our lives, as a way of filing and interpreting what is within our mind - if you like, the manifestation of the brain's activity while we are asleep. To me, they might reflect confused information flows during that process.
Stan
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

LivinginLuxor wrote:Our dreams are not a communication with any theoretical higher self - they are vital to our lives, as a way of filing and interpreting what is within our mind - if you like, the manifestation of the brain's activity while we are asleep. To me, they might reflect confused information flows during that process.
Maybe - but that is not my experience ;)
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

If you have a higher self, then it must also have a higher self and so on ad-infinitum.
You are your higher self, in my opinion, and are always in contact with yourself.

Dreams really are an electrochemical activity within the brain, and are physiological necessary for us to keep our sanity, like our other brain activities during sleep.
Stan
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Yes , as I see it the higher self is a part of you, but you are not always in touch with it.

Just as your childhood is part of your present lifetime, but not all of that information is accessible at all times.

Stress, worries and anger can disconnect us from the part of us called higher self, and make us unable to see the bigger picture.

That stream of images flowing through our brains when we sleep, can often help us see our situations differently and help us make decisions.

Then it does not matter much where this info comes from. Making records of those "films" allows you to develop a strong symbol-language to better understand yourself.
Ghadis

Post by Ghadis »

This is a facinating subject to get into. The way i experience it, and lets face it, dreams are a completely subjective experience, there can be no 'dreams are this' or 'dreams or that' when they are, at the moment, mostly outside of a scientific explanation.

I think that i experience dreams in a couple of different ways. On the one hand they seem to be, as Stan points out, a sorting of the days emotions and experiences. A necessary process that my mind often goes through at the end of the day. But they are also so loaded with symbols and ideas and memories which are often seem outside of my specific background and culture. There are also the symbols that seem to be shared through everyone and which can be facinating to look at. For example, if i'm stressed i can often expect to dream of stormy water. The Jungian archetypes, for me, do hold a lot of credibility.

As to the Higher self, i think that the term, for me, is a bit loaded, but i do generally agree with you. For myself there are two types of dreams. The most common night to night dream which is often a sorting of the days work but may also be full of symbolism and a more lucid type of dream which may come about from experiments with spiritual stuff. These sorts of dreams are far far rarer and for myself only happen when i've put a concerted effort into something.

This is a great subject and i love hearing about peoples thoughts on the matter.