Back to skool..

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Back to skool..

Post by Who2 »

I went to private, public and secondary schools as a kid.
I was far from a 'model student....
But, I could read before I attended school and always felt I learnt more 'life skills, out rather than in school.

So, the kids in this country go back to school this coming Monday.
Why ? with the latest UK figures of covid-19, 38.000 weekly new cases and 730 weekly deaths.
Why are kids going back to school ?

"Kids don't catch or spread covid, a bit like the sun kills covid, really ?.
I'll put my money on that daily cases rise as we get new variants.... 8)

Ps: 1 toilet roll x 1 man last 7 days.
1 toilet roll x I man & 1 woman lasts 3 days. That's 'edication for you.....

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Back to skool..

Post by newcastle »

Simple really.

The long term damage to society caused by keeping schools closed is reckoned ( by our government) to outweigh the damage caused by the (acknowledged) increase of COVID-19 infections that will result from resuming classes.

I happen to agree......particularly as the roll out of the vaccines appears to be significantly reducing the hospitalisations and deaths resulting from infections.

The fight against this, as with any, pandemic has always involved weighing economic/ societal issues against health/lives.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

When you consider the average IQ of the a average Egyptian I doubt very little damage being done by not going back to school or doing away with state education altogether. Most, if not all parents, with the exception of those that have the finances to privately educate their kids, would be grateful that they no longer have to struggle finding the cash needed with each new term. Over the last ten years I've watched my friends nieces and nephews attend and complete their education, none have jobs, they waste each day watching their smart phones or just lazing about the house. I have attempted to show them what attendance at school can reward you with in the future by using myself as an example, but it falls on deaf ears. Hearing the stories of how they are treated within the school system gives you a very abismle insight into why so little is learned and so much is lost.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’m sure the average Egyptian is born with the same IQ as an average human anywhere on the planet. Unfortunately, in common with most developing countries, the education system falls far short of the standards we enjoy in the West.

This is even more upsetting when you see the obvious enthusiasm with which the youngsters of these developing nations crowd into their classrooms, often in war zones, and make the best they can from very little in the way of teaching aids ..or, for that matter, teachers.

It would be devastating to limit or remove what little formal education they receive.

As for the West, while there will always be a number who fail to make good use of the largely free education available to them, the vast majority leave with the ability to read, write and count...essential if they are to play any meaningful part in society.

As a species, we have evolved in a manner which endows our children with a sponge- like brain, capable of absorbing huge amounts of information. It is vital that we take full advantage of this fact by educating our children continuously, and from as early an age as practicable......despite the inevitable interruptions of conflicts and pandemics.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I did nothing at skill only dream of when the bell would ring for the end of day. I left at 14 not even an exam result. Started an apprenticeship to become an electrician and refrigeration engineer, 5 years at Tech College, the joined the Police force for 10 years before joining the NCB. Started back on the education trail to get MEME Hons degree. When the NCB folded retired in 1983 with a Superannuated index linked pension. Now just under £1000 a month. So expanding my education after skill stood me well for retirement. Along with my police pension a private pension and myself state pension, I find I am better than what I was working for a living. Strange how life can either deal a person a good or bad hand.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 pm I did nothing at skill (sic)........

So expanding my education after skill (sic) stood me well for retirement. Along with my police pension a private pension and myself (sic) state pension,

I find I am better than what (sic) I was working for a living.
I take it English wasn’t one of the schools skills you acquired .
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

the joined the Police force for 10 years before joining the NCB.
MT - correct me if I'm wrong, you say you worked for the NCB. I take it that was the National Coal Board. What did you do? go down the mine?

I'm back to college on Monday (ESOL teaching) and our classes have been reduced by 50% to allow for social distancing. We have to wear masks at all times which makes it difficult teaching pronunciation.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I loved school, did very well in my exams and even stayed on for an extra year when that option was given the year I should of left, then 4.5 years at college. I think that as newcastle stated as an example that the kids crowd into schools especially in war torn regions, I think that is more of wanting a small slice of normality, leaving their homes that are filled with fear and high levels of negative emotions. Kids are very resilient, they protest with their feet, continuing going to school even when hundreds are suddenly taken away at night, some never to be seen again. And when you consider the lives they have on a daily basis, what child would not feel the need to escape, interest or no interest in education, and many of these kids receive their only meal of the day at these " bush" schools.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

On the contrary Dusak, i believe children generally have a natural curiosity and desire to learn. Schools are well attended even in regions where there is no conflict and no provision of school food.

Children are fed at some schools in third world countries ....where educational and nutritional deficiencies go hand in hand....and are often provided by the same humanitarian organisation. But I’ve not seen any evidence that school attendance was noticeably driven by the availability of food.

Even in developing countries, parents are keen for their children to be educated as they see this as a pathway out of poverty....even in countries like Egypt where the kids could perhaps gain an income for the family by working.

Kidnapping of school children seems, mercifully, to be a largely Northern Nigerian problem.

Such laziness and avoidance of school as there is seems to be a Western phenomenon...possibly because of the plethora of distractions....TV, i-phones etc.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 pm
MT - correct me if I'm wrong, you say you worked for the NCB. I take it that was the National Coal Board. What did you do? go down the mine?

Eee bah gum! MT going down’t pit?

Definitely not employed as a secretary :lol:

I’m more intrigued by a “MEME hons degree“....whatever that is.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

newcastle wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 am
crewmeal wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 pm

Eee bah gum! MT going down’t pit?

Definitely not employed as a secretary :lol:

I’m more intrigued by a “MEME hons degree“....whatever that is.
It’s a Masters in Manufacturing Engineering, awarded by Manchester University. You have to have a good Engineering Honours degree to apply. Given what else he says, it doesn’t seem to add up :ni:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@Yildez

Surely that would be an MSc?

I’ve found the following.....

MEME
Multitasking Extensible Messaging Environment -Computing » General Computing

MEME
Mindless Entertainment Made Endemic- Miscellaneous » Unclassified

MEME
Multiple Em For Motif Elucidation- Miscellaneous » Unclassified

MEME
Make Everything More Entertaining- Miscellaneous » Funnies

MEME
My Extremely Masculine Energy-Internet

MEME
Multimedia Entertaining Mass Enviornments-Community

MEME
My Entrails May Erupt-Internet » Chat

MEME
Multimedia Electronic Music Experiments- Community » Music

MEME
Mom Eats Macaroni Electronics-Academic & Science » Electronics

MEME
Management Ecology Of Malaysian Elephants-Business » Management

MEME
Multiple Entries Multiple Exits-Miscellaneous » Unclassified

MEME
Mini Edited Movie Event-Internet

MEME
Middle East Music Ensemble-Community » Music

MEME
Mostly Entertain Material Ever-Internet » MIME Types

MEME
Management and Ecology of Malaysian Elephants-Business » Management

MEME Mimeme (from Ancient Greek uncertain or unknown)-Internet

MEME
Master of Engineering in Manufacturing Engineering-Miscellaneous » Manufacturing

MEME
Multiple EM for Motif Elicitation-Miscellaneous » Unclassified

MEME
Mario Eats Meatballs Everyday-Miscellaneous » Unclassified

My best guess? My Entrails May Erupt :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

MEME

Memorable Egotistical Male Exaggerateor
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 am MEME

A technical description of putting rolled-up socks down your Y-fronts :ni:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

You forget he was a Policeman, all Policemen exaggerate, it comes with the uniform.... 8)
Ps: Example = 2 joints with a 'street value of £250,000 pounds....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

crewmeal wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 pm We have to wear masks at all times which makes it difficult teaching pronunciation.
This reminds me of when I first met my Swiss friend. A friend and I met her late one night at a bus stop and, by the time we parted company, we had learnt that she was a mature student at the local language school. My friend arranged for us all to meet for coffee the next morning. In the event, I ended up spending 10 hours with our new friend that day. When we met again, later in the week, she told me how she'd told her husband about our day together. Apparently he asked her to describe me, especially if I had kind eyes. Her response to him was 'I do not know. I was watching her lips all the day. Her pronunciation is better than my teacher.' :a37: :a2:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:44 pm

You forget he was a Policeman, all Policemen exaggerate, it comes with the uniform.... 8)
Ps: Example = 2 joints with a 'street value of £250,000 pounds....
I’m surprised he lasted 10 years in the Force.

Can you imagine the state of the paperwork accompanying his arrests? Most of his cases must have been dismissed when they discovered the statements he submitted were in a foreign language. :lol:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

the joined the Police force for 10 years before joining the NCB
Begs the question why leave the force to go down a mine? MT I hope there was no misdemeanours here. Please enlighten us, we're dying to know. (Don't worry about your English, Newcastle will translate).
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:09 pm
the joined the Police force for 10 years before joining the NCB
Begs the question why leave the force to go down a mine? MT I hope there was no misdemeanours here. Please enlighten us, we're dying to know. (Don't worry about your English, Newcastle will translate).
....for a small fee...
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

MEME, Mines Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. Yes I would go underground, mainly for Ventilation purposes, measuring noxious and toxic gases like Methane and Carbon Monoxide. Also would measure roadway airflow with an Anamometer, and Ducted airflow with Pitot Tube and Magnahelic Guage. I was also a part of the Underground Rescue Team Wath 2. Worked at Wath upon Deaths Colliery. My last year before closure of the mines was at Area Offices at Manvers. You see what I mean about knowing someone.....