What do doctors do?.... A bit of a rant

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad

What do doctors do?.... A bit of a rant

Post by Grandad »

Since the advent of Coronavirus I am finding that Covid19 is being used to an increasing extent for inefficiencies. A case in point happened recently when, in the absence of any renewal notice, I called an insurance company regarding my house insurance. I got a very weak apology saying that their service had been affected by coronavirus. Insurance agents like so many other occupations can operate just as well from home as from some office. Indeed, during the last 7 months, 7 members of my immediate family of 17 have spent varying periods of time working from home. This can be done when there is limited need for face to face meeting.
But, have you tried to get an appointment to SEE a doctor recently? It seems you have to go through a process of triage to assess if you need any treatment at all and you then have the option of a telephone or video consultation or , if you are on your last legs, you may be offered a face to face with a doctor. BTW, a recorded message that plays when you first make the call advises to call NHS 111 for non urgent matters and 999 for emergencies.....otherwise "hold the line, you are 39th in the queue".
So what are doctors actually doing right now? If you DO get an appointment everyone in the surgery is kitted out with masks, face screens and PPE's where necessary. So why cannot doctors SEE more patients rather than trying to diagnose via a telcon?
In January I had an appointment for a glaucoma clinic. Glaucoma has already taken my right eye. This appointment has been cancelled twice since January but I received a letter today with a new appointment for 30 November. Fingers crossed that won't be cancelled. In the interim I have had 4 eye appointments for injections in my left eye and also an appointment for laser removal of a post cateract membrane in that eye. So again I ask why can some medics work normally and others are excluded behind walls of protection?
I have had so much excellent treatment from our NHS over the years and I would never criticise the service but I do think that some sectors are using Covid as a reason to limit their service.
Got that off my chest then......end of rant......

Grandad :gg:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: What do doctors do?.... A bit of a rant

Post by newcastle »

In answer to your main question....it’s not simply a matter of the doctor’s time.

Not only is there the question of how to render the waiting room COVID- compliant...spacing etc...but the consulting room is probably small and would also have to be disinfected or whatever after each patient.

Reduced waiting capacity and excess time per patient = less availability. And, let’s face it, most GP’s were already horrendously overworked pre the pandemic.

I think I wrote elsewhere on the e-consult system operated by my surgery. I have multiple conditions on which I require medical advice/assistance from time to time and I’ve had no problem. Most queries are satisfactorily resolved by email, text or phone and there’s been no difficulty in attending the clinic when I needed to..e.g. for blood tests.

I suspect many people visit their doctor (or would do, if they could!) when it’s by no means absolutely necessary. The current situation has the advantage of sorting out priorities when the service is under pressure.

But , as in life generally, there are good operations...and not so good. Maybe I’m fortunate.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

newcastle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:55 pm I suspect many people visit their doctor (or would do, if they could!) when it’s by no means absolutely necessary. The current situation has the advantage of sorting out priorities when the service is under pressure.
Wouldn't argue with that Newcastle but I am not totally convinced about GP's being SO overworked. My GP of over 30 years has just retired. He is also an anesthetist and works at the hospital several times a week, no doubt for very generous fees. Even before Covid if I wanted to make an appointment to see him specifically I may have to wait 3 weeks or more. I thought a GP worked firstly for the community. Even so I regret that he has retired because he is an excellent doctor....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The average GP has over 2000 patients on his list. Some cope with twice this.

On average, GPs are in touch with 41 patients a day either in their surgery, on a home visit, or by telephone or email. However, family doctors say they should deal with no more than 30 patients a day, in order to ensure proper care is given.

One in 10 GPs are in touch with 60 or more patients – double the safe limit – the survey found.

“GPs currently are making themselves ill in this job, and it isn’t sustainable.”

Prof Helen Stokes-Lampard, the chair of the Royal College of GPs, said: “In my own practice recently, I had a 12-hour day and 100 patient contacts.”

The profession is in the midst of a workforce crisis, with too few GPs to meet the increasing need for medical attention created by an ageing and growing population, mental ill-health and lifestyle-related conditions.

Some family doctors are retiring early due to stress and burnout, while others have reduced their hours. And although the number of trainee GPs in England is at an all-time high, many give up before their training ends.

The situation has resulted in patients having to wait longer – up to three weeks – for a consultation.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... imit-study

The COVID-19 pandemic will only have made the above figures worse.

I suspect, Grandad, that your former GP was a bit of an oddity :lol:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

newcastle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:36 am I suspect, Grandad, that your former GP was a bit of an oddity :lol:
I don't know about 'oddity' Newcastle. I do know that several other doctors in the practice have private contracts outside of the surgery. This has the effect of reducing their available surgery hours whilst really inflating their income. Maybe this is unusual compared with surgeries in much bigger cities but it is causing patients to ask why do I have to wait so long to get an appointment.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The remuneration of GPs is a complex matter but, basically, a practice, and the doctors within it, set their own hours, patient allocation etc. They are paid for treating nhs patients according to a complex formula and are generally self-employed. They can, and often do, work outside the practice for hospitals , companies, etc.

Having outside contracts could be more lucrative than nhs patients and, yes, would impact on the hours available . Your only recourse if the service from the surgery you attend in not satisfactory is to move...and that’s not easy!

The figures in the Guardian article referred to above are average stats. There will inevitably be practices where the GPs allocate less hours to nhs patients. You seem to be a victim of one.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Just away from the subject of Doctors, my wife was told when she renewed her passport, it could take upto 12 weeks due to COVID, it took in the end 19 days.... So there seems to be plenty using COVID as an excuse!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that Newcastle. :up I am of an age that can remember when we would be on a doctors panel and pay (was it half a crown a week?) for the service. Your doctor really was 'Your family doctor' who knew you and was available most times of the day and did frequent house calls.......how times have changed....
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The good old days hey Grandad.
When I was a child our family doctor was Dr John, Dr John had a son, young Dr John.
Young Dr John was at least 55 so how old dad was I have no idea.
Both the doctors knew all my family they knew all our medical history, never a problem getting to see them although the receptionist was a bit of a tarter. One sound out of us children in the waiting room and a look that would certainly not want you to meet her alone on a dark night.
Only one complaint about them, young Dr John had a red, open top, sports car in which he used to make home visits. Not quite the thing for a respectable doctor don't you know.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

:xx Ah yes Carrie, the receptionists. At every surgery the doctors had their first line of defence with the reception dragons....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Grandad wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:04 pm :xx Ah yes Carrie, the receptionists. At every surgery the doctors had their first line of defence with the reception dragons....
I sense you’re not a great fan of the use of online GP services but one benefit is the removal of the “inquisition” you sometime face when ringing the surgery.

Nowadays you can set out your symptoms, concerns or whatever in an email and , within a few hours, receive from your doctor written or verbal advice on what to do.

Leaves the receptionist to do what they’re best qualified for....running diaries and filing stuff!
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"Nowadays you can set out your symptoms, concerns or whatever in an email and , within a few hours, receive from your doctor written or verbal advice on what to do."

Do you live in Narnia, newcastle?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:25 pm "Nowadays you can set out your symptoms, concerns or whatever in an email and , within a few hours, receive from your doctor written or verbal advice on what to do."

Nope...Poplar , London.

Maybe I’m lucky to have a 21st century surgery. I certainly give them plenty to do and have had excellent online and phone consultations. No problems whatsoever.

My GP is also able to keep lines of communication open with the various consultants I have to see from time to time. They are rather reticent about divulging their contact details :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's easier to see my Dr entering 'veggie pret at lunchtime, he certainly needs it,
he's suffering 'lockdown syndrome.
Me observing him, whilst sunning myself from outside the pub opposite... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:25 pm "Nowadays you can set out your symptoms, concerns or whatever in an email and , within a few hours, receive from your doctor written or verbal advice on what to do."

HYSTERICAL, and well worth the single malt I have just spurted out all over this screen, but what makes it even funnier, is that it come from a person you would least expect such a classic one liner. :py :wi :wi :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:37 pm

HYSTERICAL,.........but what makes it even funnier, is that it come from a person you would least expect such a classic one liner. :py :wi :wi :wi .
Not really. Teddyboy is known for his acerbic comments and I have to concede that was a good one.

Intellect and education will out.....not that you’d know.