Racism?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Racism?

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:16 am Black lives matter, yes they do but no more so that white ones, brown ones, yellow or pink.
All lives matter.
Unfortunately, in much of the world, black lives do matter more .....in the sense that, unlike the white majority, they suffer prejudice and discrimination in many areas.

The BLM movement is not asking for privileges....merely equality.

In my opinion, the riposte ‘all lives matter’ is often intended as a denial that the black community have any cause for complaint ...as if they are making unreasonable demands. I’m sure Carrie doesn’t think so.

If your house was on fire and the fire brigade arrived, you wouldn’t expect them to start dousing all the houses in your street on the grounds that ‘everyone’s house matters’.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No I don't think they are making unreasonable complaints, I think all people rich or poor, black or white should be treated fairly and with respect.
Obviously that is not the case
Unfortunately we all judge quite often on first impressions and that is one prejudice that is very hard to over come.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 pm Unfortunately we all judge quite often on first impressions and that is one prejudice that is very hard to over come.
.........and I suppose that is why so many cross over the street, when they see some one of a different culture coming towards them. Thank God, we don't all judge that way.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

.........and I suppose that is why so many cross over the street, when they see some one of a different culture coming towards them
So many??? Where on earth do you live? That kind of behaviour died out centuries ago.

As I’ve said before, awareness - and possibly uneasiness - over cultural differences is a human trait present in all of us .

And, if we’re honest, it requires a conscious effort to avoid any apprehension turning into discrimination.

It’s noticeable that children do not usually display this wariness when confronted by other children of a different race or culture. It seems racism is “learned” behaviour...parents and society generally are responsible for its persistence.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I would urge everyone to watch an interview by David Hoffman on You Tube, The most intense heartfelt description of racism ever.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm I would urge everyone to watch an interview by David Hoffman on You Tube, The most intense heartfelt description of racism ever.
This one I presume.