Old Age

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Old Age

Post by carrie »

Just been listening to a report that claimed that during the next 20 years life expectancy could be increased to 150 years.
I doubt if I will be around to see it if it does happen.
Seeing friends who suffer greatly from arthritis, dementia, rheumatism and various aches and pains associated with old age, I don't want to live till I am 150.
Surely quality of life is more important then length.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Old Age

Post by newcastle »

I wonder if you heard the report correctly. While life expectancy has increased , particularly during the last 100 years, it’s more to do with increased awareness of health issues and better medical care than a genetic change in Homo sapiens.

Whilst I’ve seen reports indicating there could be some further increase in coming decades, the projections are nowhere near 150.

There were recorded centenarians in the 19th century. It’s just that there are more of them now.

I certainly agree with you Carrie that it would be a Pyrrhic victory over the grim reaper. Apart from the fact that at a great age you’re effectively a baby in the hands of your careers...being fed, washed etc....you’ll have suffered the sadness of seeing all your nearest and dearest die.