CV

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

CV

Post by carrie »

I suppose every one is thinking, Oh no not another post about CV, well I am afraid it is.
Questions for the more knowledgeable.
Where did CV 19 come from, yes I know China, but is there a CV 10,11, 12 and so on?
Why would it appear suddenly in some part of China.
if we get handle on it will it then mutate into yet another strain?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: CV

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From what I have gathered over the last few weeks:
Corona virus has been around a long time. It is linked with the common cold and flu but we don't normally link those with the word 'corona'.

Some everyday cleaning/disinfection products will list CoronaVirus as one of the things it kills. It may not be the case with Covid19 though because they were tested and labeled before it came along.

This particular strain (or mutation?) was given the number 19 in its name because the it was identified in 2019.

There have been comments in news bullettens of 'mutation' but what that means in real terms is unclear.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:48 am I suppose every one is thinking, Oh no not another post about CV, well I am afraid it is.
Questions for the more knowledgeable.
Where did CV 19 come from, yes I know China, but is there a CV 10,11, 12 and so on?
Why would it appear suddenly in some part of China.
if we get handle on it will it then mutate into yet another strain?
COVID-19 is shorthand for Corona virus disease 2019, the year it was first identified in the human population. I’m not aware of similar naming of earlier Corona type viruses. These tend to have their own names such as SARS ( Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome), etc. It’s called Corona because of the crown-like protein protuberances visible when the virus is viewed under an electron microscope.

Genetically, these viruses closely resemble those found in certain animal species - principally bats - and it’s thought they crossed to the human species either directly from bats or via another intermediary vector species.

Civet cats may have been involved in SARS and camels in MERS. The jury is still out on COVID -19 but one strong suspect is pangolins...a kind of scaly anteater whose scales are much valued in Chinese traditional medicine. There you go...China!

Places where there is close human-animal interaction are prime sources for animal-to-human transmission of these lethal pathogens. They often appear in populations which live in close contact with animals. China is renowned for keeping, breeding and eating anything that breathes. Arabs often live in close contact with domestic birds and animals such as camels. HIV may have originated in chimpanzees and passed to humans via the bush meat trade in Africa. Likewise Ebola.

Influenza and the common cold, which have been with us for millennia, are also Corona viruses but appear to have a much lower mortality rate. Moreover, unlike COVID-19, there is widespread immunity now in the human population for these varieties so that, despite frequent, seasonal, outbreaks, it no longer produces a pandemic.

Scientists are working hard on developing a vaccine for COVID-19. Often this involves finding an animal species which can be used to investigate and develop suitable vaccines before they can be tested on humans.

Finally Carrie.....I’m afraid that, wonderful though evolution is (we wouldn’t be here without it) it means mutation of viruses is inevitable and it’s only a matter of time before we see another SARS, MERS, or COVID-19. Hopefully, sensible hygiene and better care of the environment will limit the likelihood of cross-species transmission and, of course, as we learn and understand more about these viruses we are able to respond faster and quickly develop effective vaccines.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Has anyone read the Egyptian Streets, over 70 Professors have estimated that ove 60,000 people are effected by COVID19 in Egypt. Their names are listed. Oh Haa!
But in general I think most intelligent people know that the amount given out is just a pie in the sky!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:26 am
But in general I think most intelligent people know that the amount given out is just a pie in the sky!
But what do YOU think? :tk
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

MT doesn't think. He cant even read. 75 scientists from across the world have decried the estimate published by a Toronto based scientist. Egyptian Streets.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Decried, put down, denied.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Just keep thinking that if thats he case. I know where myself and wife would sooner be in these times.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Good for you. I think everyone feels the same.I just thank goodness I'm not in Cyprus.