Corona Virus

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Corona Virus

Post by carrie »

Listened to the news today and all I heard was how the CV is impacting on businesses, what the government should be doing to stop the spread. The UK seems to be obsessed with the virus. Yesterday after the news there was another half hour programme all about the virus. Now is it just me who thinks that people are panicing. Basic hygiene precautions seem to be the answer. Wash your hands frequently, keep everything clean, wash surfaces with a mild bleach solution. Avoid large crowds. Then hope for the best.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Corona Virus

Post by newcastle »

I think the government is right to be obsessed with this virus simply because, unlike other seasonal flu viruses, there is no immunity in the population. Remember that the similar Spanish flu killed approx 50 million worldwide in 1918-20.

If it becomes an epidemic, as seems increasingly likely, the consequences could be very serious, not necessarily for those infected ( it’s mainly the elderly and those with existing health issues who are at risk) but for the economy, health service etc.

In situations like this I think it’s sensible to “follow the science” . The medical officials - and the UK is blessed with world experts in this field - are not in the business of spreading alarm unnecessarily. The development of the likely epidemic, and how we can slow its progress, is saturating the news. If it helps modify people’s behaviour, so much the better. It will give time for the development of a vaccine, drug therapies, better diagnostic techniques. It will also push the likely peak of the epidemic towards the summer when the NHS will be better able to cope and respiratory infections are less disabling.

Although I fall into the “those at high risk” category, I’m not panicking.....but am being more cautious about where I go etc. Oh yes..,and washing my hands frequently. Especially after contact with foreign surfaces...animate and inanimate!

It must be particularly difficult to follow sensible precautions in Egypt and I have my own views on the credibility of the actions and data emanating from officialdom. Alcohol- based wipes/sprays are the best cleaning agents for this virus....and it’s amazing (if unsurprising) that many Egyptians refuse to consider them because of the Quranic ban on alcohol!
Last edited by newcastle on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, it is crazy. You can't turn on the tv or radio without hearing something about it. General news and specific information I take no issue with, but the hype and hysteria is beyond belief.

Locally this week two primary school children have been put on home isolation. Why? Because they travelled in a taxi that it is now known a person confirmed case of C19 travelled in. There appears to be no direct link between the children and the adult though. Fair enough, reasonable precautions have been taken (we've cancelled an event at work as a responsible action and precaution too so I do understand). However, some parents have been going mad, demanding the school should be closed and deep cleaned.

The other crazyness going on is the stock piling. I can understand there being a rush on hand sanitiser (not that I use or trust the stuff myself) but soap has all but disappeared from the shelves too. Did people not wash their hands before this? I thought a couple of weeks ago that tissue prices had gone up when I went to buy my normal winter sniffle couple of boxes. Now the price is not an issue as they have all but disapoeared off the shelves, as has toilet paper.
I popped in to my local Waitrose yesterday as was in the area and just wanted some fresh bits and was really surprised when I saw the empty shelves in the household section. I need to go to Sainsburys and do my normal shop - toilet paper was on my list - but I'm not expecting to find much there.
Basic over the counter medicines will be running out too. I've already read of someone struggling to find Calpol for their child.

So, yes...it is all a bit crazy here at the moment. What spreads faster than the Coronavirus? Ignorance and fear, bringing on a severe attack of anxiety and panic.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There is always a balancing act to be performed by a government when advising the population of sensible precautions to be taken to mitigate a real and serious problem....and the need not to cause panic.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who take matters to the extreme. I haven’t observed any panic behaviour or stockpiling in my area (East London)....maybe I’m lucky!

Personally......I’d prefer an excess of official information, enabling me to draw my own conclusions and act appropriately, rather than be left to live in blissful ignorance.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

My quandary at present is flying back to Luxor.
I noticed today that flight prices are being reduced to assist airline companies.
Spotted this gem, thought Wow! then noticed the date... 8)
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... t-to-luxor
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:48 pm My quandary at present is flying back to Luxor.
I noticed today that flight prices are being reduced to assist airline companies.
Spotted this gem, thought Wow! then noticed the date... 8)
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... t-to-luxor
Are you bidding for MT’s role?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Heaven forbid,...
Iv'e decided to do something really useful having fixed most things around the place.
Due to my self isolation, Iv'e decided to start back on the autobiography.
Could take months to finish but, once the girls stop trying to stockpile 'toilet rolls and until the World
has a vaccine it's china vs uk just think how much profit is in that.
My money's on China they have the production lines..bet India's in the running as well.

Oh well, I have to show a couple of 'lunatic euro's toilet roll holders a bit of British 'stiff upper lip'
I always thought 'shataffers /bum washers would sell well here, 'can't beat a Cleopatra!
'What's with wimmin and toilet rolls? Oh! and little bottles of everything on every surface of the bathroom ?

Made me think of this a Bit of Britishnish "We are in the common market now! Bob Hoskins
"In more ways than one....

Ps: "Don't panic Mr Mannering.............. 8)
Pss: What's your stockpile ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Aldi are doing mega packs of loo rolls, 21 to a pack for very little. I can't comment on the quality though.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:11 am Aldi are doing mega packs of loo rolls, 21 to a pack for very little. I can't comment on the quality though.
Useful information for those inclined to stay at home sh*tting themselves in terror. :urm:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

After reading all this nonsense about toilet rolls, and receiving an email from a friend in New Zealand who says there’s a huge shortage there too, I just walked down to my local supermarket, and guess what? Hundreds of packs!!!! I bought an extra large pack, 32 rolls, just in case :urm: :urm: :urm: :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I see that, at last, the Yanks are taking the threat seriously :lol:

[ To view you need to click on the Facebook logo top right]

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yildez wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am After reading all this nonsense about toilet rolls, and receiving an email from a friend in New Zealand who says there’s a huge shortage there too, I just walked down to my local supermarket, and guess what? Hundreds of packs!!!! I bought an extra large pack, 32 rolls, just in case :urm: :urm: :urm: :urm:
Always a useful standby for fancy dress parties....with an Egyptian theme :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Just heard on BBC that 12 infected persons have been detected aboard a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor.

Time for you Luxor folk to head for the hills!

CAIRO (REUTERS) - Egypt's health ministry said it registered 12 people carrying the coronavirus on a Nile cruise ship heading to the southern city of Luxor from Aswan, state television reported on Friday.

The country had until now diagnosed three people with the virus, one of whom it said had fully recovered after receiving treatment.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I am self isolating, send me loo rolls please Yildez.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Just heard on BBC that 12 infected persons have been detected aboard a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1637716/middle-east

https://egyptianstreets.com/2020/03/06/ ... ronavirus/
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Not good news at all :( if 12 Egyptians have been been found to have it, then I'm sure they will be hell of a lot more, we all know how Egyptians kiss everyone they meet 100s of times per day :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

DJKeefy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:00 pm Not good news at all :( if 12 Egyptians have been been found to have it, then I'm sure they will be hell of a lot more, we all know how Egyptians kiss everyone they meet 100s of times per day :(
I've so far not read if the boat they were working on has gone into isolation. 12 members of a crew to go down with this is a very high percentage of people on board a Nile cruise boat, and an even higher percentage of staff. Although I don't know how many guests were aboard, it would be unbelievable if none of them are infected too.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I predict the virus will rampage through Egypt and the death toll will be relatively high because of the predominance of people with health issues - principally HepC- and the high proportion of men who smoke.

The population of 100 million lives in high concentrations and in circumstances which will facilitate the transmission of the virus. There is much kissing by way of greeting - as noted elsewhere.

The government seems to be in denial.

To this can be added the poor quality of hospital care for those who need it.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Total number of people detained on the Nile cruise ship in Luxor is 165

65 Egyptians and 100 foreigners, all of them analysed and result within 48 hours..Samples are taken from the throat and nose, the samples are on their way to Cairo by plane..

Photo from the detained Nile cruise.

88357429_1852497161553546_5873638218485727232_n.jpg
72051.jpg

إجمالي عدد المتواجدين المحتجزين على النايل كروز في الأقصر 165 منهم 65 مصري و100 أجنبي.. اتعملهم جميعاً تحليل والنتيجة خلال 48 ساعة.. العينات اتاخدت من الحلق والأنف والعينات في طريقها للقاهرة بطائرة.. المصدر أحد المصريين المحتجزين ع النايل كروز.. الصورة من النايل كروز المحتجزة.

Source:https://www.facebook.com/LuxorLive1/pos ... 7374886858

Extra Information:
A-Sara Nile cruise ship quarantined 20 km away from Luxor.

It was added that after 3-day cruising tour From Aswan to Luxor, the ship docked in front near Luxor Temple, as all of the travellers were decided to be examined for Covid-19. 12 Egyptian staff tested positive for the disease.

The ship then withdrew approximately 20 km away from Luxor and quarantined.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hope they all recover fully.