Moon Landing 1969

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Moon Landing 1969

Post by newcastle »

You can’t have turned on the TV over the last week without seeing some programme celebrating the 1969 moon landing.

I remember watching it on the small B&W screen in the JCR of my college. Like the death of JFK, your wedding day etc. It’s one of those moments you are likely to be able to recall......no matter how much the little grey cells have disintegrated over the years.

Watching some of the programmes, I was struck by how “HeathRobinson-ish” it all seemed.....compared with the advances in technology we’ve seen over the last 50 years.

How they pulled it off seems, in hindsight, little short of a miracle.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Moon Landing 1969

Post by Who2 »

I was in a similar place to the moon Dymchurch.
In a weatherboard shack in bed with a young lady Susan with a B&W TV at the bottom of the bed.

It's a shame the landing was never 'consummated, it would have been one small step..If you get my drift.. 8)
'happy day's'
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

If you ever visit Cape Canaveral and see some of the capsules it would amaze you even more, looking inside they are very basic and some of the thruster controls on the outside are so flimsy they look as if they would drop off. The most amazing is the Massive Saturn 5 rocket that used to be outside and open to the ellements when I first visited nearly 30 years ago, but is now housed in it's own building. The mind really boggles when you see the size of those 5 thruster rockets on the base, each one is over 12 feet in diameter and then to walk along its full length is something else. In the new building you can actually touch some Moon rock, but to do so you have to crook your finger into a special slot in a display case, no way can you filch a bit of it. :D Somewhere stashed away at home I have a full set of the embroidered mission badges as worn by the various crews on their space suits, each one has its own design, they must be worth a few bob now. :tk

Here is a good video of it:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It is amazing that 50 years ago men on earth could communicate with men on the moon.
One of the obvious progressions of such communication must be the WorldWideWeb.

Alas, fixing mywork/home internet seems to be taking as long as the 1969 moom mission. I'm having to escape my mission control just to use a patchy free connection at my local farm shop.

Have we really progressed since the Space Race?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

We had to share our telly with the neighbours who didn't have one, so they all came around to our house to watch the moon landing. I was 7 at the time.

We moved to Sheffield a couple of years later, and during our 3 year stint there, I got to see the Capsule at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, complete with a manikin in a space suite inside the capsule.

I have a photo somewhere that my Dad took, and when I get home I will upload it here..

JFK's assassination is what stopped the very first Dr Who? episode from being run back in 63.. Shame really on both counts...

Just Landed in Cyprus a couple of hours ago, and we have just got back from dinner and my mate in Cyprus said he's never seen fog like it in all the time he has been here..

Its like that book by James Herbert, The Fog..

Better warn MT.. 8)

I keep expecting to see ghostly killer pirates coming out of the fo..........
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Here’s another take on the significance of the moon landing : :a8:

Toronto Imam Muhammad Rizvi: Moon Landing Proves the Feasibility of Prophet Muhammad's Ascension to the Heavens

Toronto Shiite imam Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi said in a Friday sermon at the Jaffari Community Centre that he remembers that some Sunni scholars had denied the Apollo 11 moon landing when it took place and that they had claimed that it had merely been American propaganda. Imam Rizvi said that the views of these scholars can be traced back to certain early Muslims who believed that the Prophet Muhammad's night journey to Heaven had only been a dream, and he said that science and the moon landing suggest that the Prophet Muhammad's journey had been real. He explained that if one believes that humanity can go to the moon using its own resources, then one can easily believe that Allah took Muhammad up to Heaven during the night journey. The sermon was delivered on July 19, 2019 and was posted the following day to the IslamiCentre YouTube channel.

See more: https://www.memri.org/tv/toronto-cleric ... ht-journey