New Forum Information (Please read)

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

New Forum Information (Please read)

Post by DJKeefy »

The forum has now changed to the new format, the new format was outdated and would have run out on the 15th April 2019, I have tried to keep it looking similar but I only could work of the default template so its been quite hard to achieve anything like it, I am still working on the template so some colours or icons might be wrong, post in here if you see something wrong or find any bugs

In the new forum there was a donate link built in so I have just left here there in case some of you nice people want to help towards the running costs of the forums.

To get started the best is to click on the QUICK LINKS at the top left of the page, here you can choose NEW POSTS to see posts made from the last time you visited the site, the best link would be the ACTIVE TOPICS (called TIMELINE before) which will show 7 days of active topics with posts, you can change the time period (up to a year) from the bottom left under the search results.

LIKES, have now changed to THANKS, so you can THANK a post or be thanked for your posts, I have managed to keep the original LIKES and converted them to THANKS, if you prefer it to be LIKES then maybe I will recode it later.

I have added lots of code from a lightbox that opens image in a nice way right through to last ten active topics, there will be some bugs so please report anything so I can look into it.

At the bottom of the index page is the last ten active topics which will scroll through the last ten (some people missed this before)

In your User Control Panel found by clicking on your name at the top right of the page, you can alter things like adding friends or foes, turn forum notifications on or off, Go take a look :)

I WILL WORK ON TRYING TO GET A GALLERY UP TOMORROW, so old posts wilth gallery images in wont show for now.

Most external media files (youtube, facebook, twitter) will not need a BBCODE to show up in a post, you could do a preview first (in the full editor) to see if it works (accepted sites in the image below)
media-files.jpg
you can mention a member in a post using the @ symbol then just start typing the members name, a box will come up for you to choose a member from, they will get a forum notification to say that you have mentioned them.

Play around, its the only way to find out whats what, I am still learning new features even though I had to implement most of them :lol:

It might run a bit slower at the moment till I move it from php 5.6 to 7.0 then after more updates to 7.3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: New Forum Information (Please read)

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Think I need my dark glasses on - it's so bright.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 pm Think I need my dark glasses on - it's so bright.
I have toned it down a little for you :)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

@DJKeefy - Thank you. I noticed it wasn't so bright. (Was worried it was my tired eyes clouding over.) I think it's much easier to read now.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Thanks for all the hard work Keefy, I don't envy you.

Observations so far:
1. The subject box at the top when you are posting a new topic could be twice as long.
2. I think "Active Topics" should be at the top as was "Timeline", as that's what I think most people want to go to first.
3. The default font size could be bigger, please.
4. I think "Thank" is not as good as "Like".

How long have you been back in Egypt? Your location says UK but your flag is Egypt's.
Carpe diem! :le:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Points taken WI

NO I am in the UK my National Flag as always shown Egypt :)
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Cheers. Also, good to see the member ranks are in order from top to bottom rather than scrambled as previously. It makes much more sense.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

@Winged Isis Font size changed, if you need it any bigger use the browser zoom function, it remembers the zoom setting for each site you use.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

No, that's much better, thanks. :)
Next: Your name is bright blue where it shows who wrote the post. Could ours be something other than dark blue so it's easier to find since there's so much blue everywhere? Maybe yours in red, as the boss, and ours in the light blue?
Personally I don't see the need to use the @-whoever, or quoting their whole post, if you are replying straight away to the last poster. They are only necessary if there are other posts in-between theirs and yours. But I like that the @ is red to draw your attention to replies.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

@DJKeefy Re: Ranking Colours - I notice that Luxor4U God is still blue and not gold. (I think it's meant to be gold - it's a bit more of a French Mustard colour really.)

Thanks for the work done so far - and the tweaking you are doing and have yet to do.
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 pm @DJKeefy Re: Ranking Colours - I notice that Luxor4U God is still blue and not gold. (I think it's meant to be gold - it's a bit more of a French Mustard colour really.)

Thanks for the work done so far - and the tweaking you are doing and have yet to do.
Thanks Hepzi you found a bug, I thought all usernames looked the same, Off to fix it now :D
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

DJKeefy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 pm
HEPZIBAH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 pm @DJKeefy Re: Ranking Colours - I notice that Luxor4U God is still blue and not gold. (I think it's meant to be gold - it's a bit more of a French Mustard colour really.)

Thanks Hepzi you found a bug, I thought all usernames looked the same, Off to fix it now :D
:a51: Now I'm being thrown out of groups from member upwards.
I've never really understood the groups. I knew they were there, and thought that even as you progressed through the ranks you still remained in the lower ranks. Do the groups actually serve any purpose? Is it something I've overlooked all these years, or have we all been in the dark about them?
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Not really much to them except you can change the members group name and colour, you can do more like only allow a certain group to see certain forums or maybe access to certain downloads, but here we are all treated the same :)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks Keefy.
Never really thought about it before. It was all the 'You've been kicked out' notifications that got me wondering.
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I'm probably being extremely thick, but I can't work out how to Thank a post - help?

Update!! Yes, I was being EXTREMELY thick, but it is only 7.52am and I'm only on my first cup of coffee!!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I've 6 notifcations saying I've been kicked out of the senior and junior group then added again. What'a all that about? Have I been a naughty boy somewhere along the line?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

@crewmeal
Looks like that might be a general thing (see my post above) as the new forum recognises your increasing forum rank status.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

@Yildez: there is a Facebook-style thumbs-up button in the top right corner of each post. I think it would be better paced at the bottom as was the old Like, especially for long@Yildez[/me@Yildez[/me@Yildez Keefy! Since using @Yildez, the name Yildez in a blue box keeps haunting this post! :o
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

And those oddities above happened when I pressed Enter. Lord only know where the bold, red type came from. It weren't me 'guvnor! And the @Yildez isn't red! I wonder if it will be here?
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Nup. :urm: