New Forum Information (Please read)

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: New Forum Information (Please read)

Post by DJKeefy »

The main problem was trying to convert the GALLERY, I managed it but its not without bugs, one main one is that images in posts dont open with a lightbox like external or attachment images, so you have to click the back button on your browser to view any thumbnails again, hopefully I will fix this in the future.
You can add up to 10 images a time when uploading to the gallery each filesize to be under 512000 and a size of 1280 X 1280 though it will automatically resize bigger images.
If an image is not that important and does not need to be in your gallery you can upload an image via the attachment button when making a post (full editor) image dimensions do not matter, upload you image and then click the place inline button. (image in my first post is uploaded via the attachment option).

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The forum is now cross platform compatible, give it a try on your smartphone / tab :)

It is not working with tapatalk no more
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It seems to working well from my phone - at least the functions I've used on it.
The only observations I have at the moment are:
The Similar Topics section seems a bit larrge.
The ink pot and pen are quite dark so make it a bit difficult to read what I write over it, particularly on my phone.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Providing that you are in 'Full Editor' mode you can also use 'Drag & Drop' from your PC to insert an image straight into your post without any resizing, really handy. :up You can also use a multiple 'Drag & Drop' to add files, this way of inserting images is much better than the old method, well done Keefy.
2007-Egypt-1428.JPG
testing
Tuthmosis III.jpg
testing again
Naos shrine & Barque 5.JPG
to right of image
2007_0808Pictures-of-Egypt0093.JPG
2007_0808Pictures-of-Egypt0181.JPG
I would only make the comment that there does not seem any way to add a space line below the text and your images, or between inages.
I have also noticed that you can click on the first image and then just keep clicking the image to scroll through them all instead of cancelling each image first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 pm It seems to working well from my phone - at least the functions I've used on it.
The ink pot and pen are quite dark so make it a bit difficult to read what I write over it, particularly on my phone.
Faded the image on the reply by another 30% so should be ok on the phone, once it as refreshed the image.
On a desktop/laptop you can drag the reply bar down from the bottom right corner so the image will never get in your way.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

See what you mean Horus, you can only have text above or below and image and not to the right of it.

Even though the Gallery states 1280 x 1280 you can upload sizes bigger than that, it will auto resize them :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Something I have noticed, I am sure on the old forum if you clicked on new posts and you got the list of new posts when clicking on a topic link to read it, it jump to the newest posts in that thread that you have not read, now it jumps to the first post only.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

DJKeefy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 pm
HEPZIBAH wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 pm It seems to working well from my phone - at least the functions I've used on it.
Faded the image on the reply by another 30% so should be ok on the phone, once it as refreshed the image.
On a desktop/laptop you can drag the reply bar down from the bottom right corner so the image will never get in your way.
@DJKeefy
Thanks. I think that is a bit better.

I agree about viewing a thread. It does take you back to the op which is going to be a pain in long threads. More than 2 or 3 pages and it will be easy to give rather than read and continue.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Getting better every time I look.

Agreed about the ink pot.

One difference is when you click the Thanks button, the page zooms up and down for some reason. Doesn't worry me, but it might others.
Carpe diem! :le:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I am having a few problems navigating round the new forum but that's my fault. When I log on I get a message in bright red saying I am using an ad blocker and can I disable it. Yes more than happy to if I knew how. Help please.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

How does one start a new topic ? and how does one upload pictures ? cheers...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 am How does one start a new topic ? and how does one upload pictures ? cheers...
@Who2

You have asked how to start a new topic. The answer is you click the 'Start New Topic' tab at the top left of the forum section eg General Discussions and Rants. Hey Presto a 'clean page' appears for you to start your topic.

At the moment, I can see in theory how to add photographs to a post, I just don't seem to have mastered the technique yet.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:41 am I am having a few problems navigating round the new forum but that's my fault. When I log on I get a message in bright red saying I am using an ad blocker and can I disable it. Yes more than happy to if I knew how. Help please.
@carrie , I've got the red Ad Blocker bar too. I have assumed that it is to do with the security levels I have set through my antivirus etc tool. At the top of my computer screen there is a red icon with a white hand in it (at least that's what I think it is). If I click on that I can control sites that I'm happy to allow ads on or block others. That's the theory anyway - I think.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

@DJKeefy I notice that the new site is coming up as Not Secure - as per the last version. I know you said that we needn't worry about it because we were not using the site for financial purposes so not giving away bank info etc (if I understood you and have remembered it correctly). However, how does that work if members decide to use the Donate button? Surely then they would be using banking information through this site.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Me again! I may be mistaken but... didn't we used to have a reply tab on each post? Now I can only see Quick Reply. On the old version that wasn't as comprehensive as Reply.
(Or perhaps I need to take a break and grab me some caffeine.)
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

To add a photo to your post, here is a simple way:
1. Select the 'Full Editor' option beneath the reply/subject box.

2. Minimise the forum page so that you can still see your desktop

3. Open up any picture folder on your PC/Laptop and again minimise it so that you can see both minimised windows.

4. write up your post.

5. Select a photo from your own PC/Laptop folder and hold down your 'Left' mouse button as you drag it across into the same box that you typed your post in and then release your mouse button. You should see the words 'Copy' as you drag the image across'

6. Now if you look right at the very bottom of the text box you should see a photo identification number below where it says 'Add Files'

7. Now click on the button that says 'Place Inline' but MAKE SURE that your cursor is either on a fresh line below your text or at a place in your text where you want it to appear, but again on a fresh line, although it will still place the image below the last piece of text you typed when you view it in the forum.

8. As I have mentioned previously you can also hold down your 'keyboard 'Ctrl' key and keep left clicking on several individual images to select them all at the same time. You must still drag and drop them by holding down your left mouse button as you do so. Not as difficult as it may appear. ;)
2007_0808Pictures-of-Egypt0031.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

DJKeefy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 pm Something I have noticed, I am sure on the old forum if you clicked on new posts and you got the list of new posts when clicking on a topic link to read it, it jump to the newest posts in that thread that you have not read, now it jumps to the first post only.
To go to posts you have not read when using the new posts link you will see a RED ICON to the left of the topic subject, click this and it takes you to the last posts you have not read, if there is no red icon then you have read all the new posts in the topic.
posts.jpg
On a phone/tab it will say Last post by member, click this to go to last post
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Thanks Horus for your tutorial :)

Another way to add a couple of images to your posts, you can drag and drop like in Horus tutorial or while in the FULL EDITOR (reply box) at the bottom of the reply box click ATTACHMENTS and add images/files via there, use the place inline to place them at certain positions in your post or if you don't use place inline it will automatically put all the images uploaded at the end of your post.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm @DJKeefy I notice that the new site is coming up as Not Secure - as per the last version. I know you said that we needn't worry about it because we were not using the site for financial purposes so not giving away bank info etc (if I understood you and have remembered it correctly). However, how does that work if members decide to use the Donate button? Surely then they would be using banking information through this site.
Once you choose the currency and figure you are donating then pressing the submit button you are then taken to the SECURE paypal site, give it a try to see, just don't enter any info on the paypal site if you don't want to donate.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Winged Isis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:23 am Getting better every time I look.

Agreed about the ink pot.

One difference is when you click the Thanks button, the page zooms up and down for some reason. Doesn't worry me, but it might others.
Its refreshing the page so it can show the thanks if your internet is fast it should do it within the blink of an eye :lol: