A question for A-Four

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

A question for A-Four

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four, on the All Inclusive thread you say:
A-Four wrote:
... between the senior members of this forum, ...
I have noticed you use similar expressions many times in the past. I am curious to know - what is your definition of 'senior members'?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: A question for A-Four

Post by Who2 »

Old people, OAP's old fogies, old codgers, gerries, Col Blimps, US!.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:Old people, OAP's old fogies, old codgers, gerries, Col Blimps, US!.... 8)
:lol:

You may well be an old codger. I most definitely am not.

Your definitions however have made me feel younger, having not reached the ranks of OAP (nor, I hope, any of your other definitions).
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The Old Codgers a Daily Mirror institution.
I have a mate she became the editor of the old codgers she was a Money-Coutts as in Coutts the bankers & money.
You couldn't make it up, her name was Jo her by-line 'Ask Jo.
Very funny lady her telling me about her and that prat editor Piers, dancing naked & drunk in Victoria Park..... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Who2 wrote:Old people, OAP's old fogies, old codgers, gerries, Col Blimps, US!.... 8)
:lol:

You may well be an old codger. I most definitely am not.

Your definitions however have made me feel younger, having not reached the ranks of OAP (nor, I hope, any of your other definitions).
If he’s to be believed :tk A-Four is 45 which must make him one of the least senior members.

Unless, of course, we’re talking in doggie years :snig:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Senior members of this forum, offer different qualifications as to what the present understanding of every day life is now present in the city of Luxor. Some are qualified in bringing the distant past, back to life. There are those who help bring about a distant modern part that they know, through the authority of knowledge from a past relative who lived there long before modern day tourism.

Thankfully there are those who live there today who give a modern day prospective of life, which I could not possibly do nowadays. There are those who have modern day travel in other parts of the Arab world, being Southern Morocco. My time at an early age was Tangier.

I entered Upper Egyptian life at a quite young age, and guided by my Grandfather, I must admit for the past six years I have not been anywhere near that country, though I shall be there for at least a month later this year, and hopefully update my view of the old place, in a topic entitled,.......As I See It - Update.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Another Question for A4 ?
What can you tell us about the Old Coptic Ladies house next to the demolished twin at Luxor Temple ?.... 8)
Ps: A friend asked me.
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I knew I had a picture somewhere... 8)
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Hmm... my original question:
HEPZIBAH wrote:A-Four, on the All Inclusive thread you say:
A-Four wrote:
... between the senior members of this forum, ...
I have noticed you use similar expressions many times in the past. I am curious to know - what is your definition of 'senior members'?
The answer:
A-Four wrote:Senior members of this forum, offer different qualifications as to what the present understanding of every day life is now present in the city of Luxor. Some are qualified in bringing the distant past, back to life. There are those who help bring about a distant modern part that they know, through the authority of knowledge from a past relative who lived there long before modern day tourism.

Thankfully there are those who live there today who give a modern day prospective of life, which I could not possibly do nowadays. There are those who have modern day travel in other parts of the Arab world, being Southern Morocco. My time at an early age was Tangier.

I entered Upper Egyptian life at a quite young age, and guided by my Grandfather, I must admit for the past six years I have not been anywhere near that country, though I shall be there for at least a month later this year, and hopefully update my view of the old place, in a topic entitled,.......As I See It - Update.
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure that it is really a definition, but it is an interesting read, in some ways.

I am confused however by the following paragraph, and in particular the portion I have highlighted:
'Thankfully there are those who live there today who give a modern day prospective of life, which I could not possibly do nowadays. There are those who have modern day travel in other parts of the Arab world, being Southern Morocco. My time at an early age was Tangier
.'

I'm not quite sure of the Moroccan connection in relation to my question, and particularly the part about Southern Morocco where I would doubt that, statistically, many people at all have visited - at least in tourism terms. I suppose if your point of reference is Tangier, on the Mediterranean coast, being so far North, then Marrakech would appear to be a long way South. Overall, I would imagine that the other popular tourist destinations of Agadir on the Atlantic coast and Ouarzazate on the eastern edge of the Atlas Mountains are probably the furthest South most visitors to Morocco would venture however, there is still a lot more of the country further South until you come to the [questionable] Western Sahara border.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:Another Question for A4 ?
What can you tell us about the Old Coptic Ladies house next to the demolished twin at Luxor Temple ?.... 8)
Ps: A friend asked me.
The old place that got pulled down years ago, you may remember was the central office In Luxor for the old now gone, National Democratic Party, believe it or not, I recently read a less than interesting article on the internet that the place was torched during the so called revolution. Mi thinks they are confusing the place with the huge building by the side of the Nile in Cairo, but well, who cares these days about truth in Egypt.

With regards the other house, which I understand is still there, belonged to the distant family of Bourtros Gali, when he became Bey, or Pasha. When I was quite young, visiting my grandfather, we would go over to Banana Island (the real one, you'll know where I mean) and would see what to me even then seemed like three old ladies sat in whicker chair, like the one in the Adam's Family series on T.V. All three dressed in full black, looking similar to the state of Queen Victoria, during her latter days, and all of similar weight.

It is said that these three lived in that house under a life long tenancy at the, then government's discretion. I remember one of the sisters died quite some years ago, before the dreadful event of recent years.

This is the information I have been given years ago, but please remember, you will know how history gets distorted these days in Egypt. The Gali family history in Egypt is quite famous, however, even now I am noticing how established political history is being changed.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Hmm... my original question:
I think, what I am trying to say about the forum members is that each contribute from different angles, whether they live there now, those like myself from the past, and present day new visitors, we all see things differently.

I know you travel in Morocco, in the central parts, I only got as far as Tangiers, as a very young person in the late 1970's, I crossed from Southern Spain to the Freeport at Souse, then overland to Tangier, this was a huge cultural shock. I saw the main train station that travelled South, I wanted to do the great journey, but my guide book said there was civil war in the South, which was in, and still is the disputed area you, above, call the Western Desert. Sadly, as far as I was concerned that could be the next stop along the line.

The other important thing I remember about Tangier, was that it was rather exclusive, and quite expensive, I returned for a short visit 25 years later, and to my shock horror, the place was a disaster zone. This probably why I have enjoyed reading your comments on the old country, that in future encourages me to visit.