1886 Restaurant Old Winter Palace

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Angela
Egypt

1886 Restaurant Old Winter Palace

Post by Angela »

I have a couple of visitors that want to have dinner at the Old Winter Palace. Has anybody been their recently? I don't know why but I imagine it to be soulless at the moment. Dress code for men. The gentleman wanted to wear a linen shirt and trousers but with sandals. I'm guessing this wouldn't be allowed. Although I've heard they have relaxed some of their dress codes?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: 1886 Restaurant Old Winter Palace

Post by carrie »

I'm sure that would be perfectly acceptable Angela, I walked through yesterday and quite a lot of tourists round the pool which makes a very nice change. Hope your friends enjoy their meal.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Make sure he wears socks with his sandals else it's no go.... 8)
Ps: Last time I ate in the 1886 I was alone except for 3 waiters and Mr Wonderful, the guitar player.
Daunting and the food was very mediocre....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

jacket and/or tie is essential for men. was there 2 weeks ago. 2 stiings 7pm and 9pm. don't know about sandals
Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Who2 wrote:Make sure he wears socks with his sandals else it's no go.... 8)
Ps: Last time I ate in the 1886 I was alone except for 3 waiters and Mr Wonderful, the guitar player.
Daunting and the food was very mediocre....
That's what I've heard, pretentious with the dress code and then mediocre food. They've decided just to do Afternoon tea and have a wander around.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Angela, I had afternoon tea there a 4 years ago, and was hugely disappointed! Not even proper tea, tea bags instead of leaves. Something I'd really looked forward to, and invited a friend, turned out to be a real let-down. And it's not cheap! Certainly wouldn't do it again.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yildez, that must have been a disappointment.

I went for Afternoon Tea at the Old Winter Palace on Christmas Eve 2016 and it met my expectations. I admit, I didn't raise my expectations bar too high, but even so it was a very good afternoon tea. I got a bit confused by what was in all the little glasses though. We both enjoyed the experience, sitting in the Library room, and catching up.

The afternoon/early evening was made even better for me as when we were leaving, we were invited to stay on for mulled wine and carols. My friend had to get home for her family, but I stayed and had a lovely time. I was even given an orange from Father Christmas.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Yildez, that must have been a disappointment.

I went for Afternoon Tea at the Old Winter Palace on Christmas Eve 2016 and it met my expectations. I admit, I didn't raise my expectations bar too high, but even so it was a very good afternoon tea. I got a bit confused by what was in all the little glasses though. We both enjoyed the experience, sitting in the Library room, and catching up.

The afternoon/early evening was made even better for me as when we were leaving, we were invited to stay on for mulled wine and carols. My friend had to get home for her family, but I stayed and had a lovely time. I was even given an orange from Father Christmas.
I'm glad your experience was better than mine Hepzibah! As I said it must have been December 2014, so maybe they were having an off day? Shame, because I don't think I want to repeat the experience :urm:

I hope you told the truth when Father Christmas asked you if you'd been a good girl?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

My first visit there for afternoon tea was in 2001 with a fairly large group of fellow holiday makers on a Nile cruise. We were all staying on in Luxor after the cruise and had agreed to meet up for the event the following week. My memories were that it was charming rather than grand, but the setting was nice as was the tea cakes and sandwiches, we all enjoyed it.
Assade
United Kingdom

Post by Assade »

I eat there almost every week and I find the food selection on the menu appetising. The staff are very good and they let me choose from the Corniche Restaurant Menu as well as the 1886 Menu
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Assade wrote:I eat there almost every week and I find the food selection on the menu appetising. The staff are very good and they let me choose from the Corniche Restaurant Menu as well as the 1886 Menu
Assade, in that case perhaps you could tell us if there is still a strict dress code, or if it perhaps has been relaxed in recent times.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Assade
United Kingdom

Post by Assade »

Two weeks ago it was still a Jacket or Tie for men. I will be there tomorrow night so will check again for you
Assade
United Kingdom

Post by Assade »

I was told by the Restaurant Staff that men should wear a Jacket and Tie - although they were at liberty to reomve them once inside the Restauarant. Sandals on men were not acceptable. There were six guests in the Restaurant for the 9pm sitting last night. I enjoyed my meal.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We were stopped one night from entering the Bar by a highly embarrassed manager looking at Nicks' sandals.
'uttering meester Neek meester neek, once we cottoned on. I turned on my heel saying in a very loud voice
"Right Oh! Horace old chap, we shall take our business & our pleasures down to The Sheraton, post haste!
Most hotel bar managers knew Nick & Me.
I mean 'he even looks like Jesus sometimes, sandals no socks a no no... 8)
'f***g hippy!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.