Hurghada

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Hurghada

Post by Yildez »

Dusak wrote:I know that this has nothing to do with the above tragic topic but the main reason my long time visiting friends are no longer going to visit Egypt is because of the drop in hygiene standards at the E-Tab and the low quality and stale food they were served up at breakfast. I personally would not eat at any hotel here, I think that the street food would be a more healthy option. I will no longer eat at a certain restaurant here because a friend and I had a bad stomach the day after. Same friend went to another local restaurant with a group of friends, several of which suffered the next day. Gone are the days, due to now low tourist numbers and near empty hotels, food was consumed at high rates. Food now is being either reheated, chilled in the fridge for long periods or refrozen as they can no longer afford to give it away to staff or dump it. Even the rats are feeling the pinch.
Couldn't agree more Dusak! The main reason that I usually stay at the Steigenberger hotel when I visit Luxor, is the fact that, unlike many Luxor hotels, it's BUSY!!! Its success in promoting itself as a conference centre is immediately apparent. Eating breakfast there is a pleasure because everything is fresh, the food displays are constantly replenished, the choice is tremendous, and the chef listens to how I like my eggs and produces a perfect plate every time! My only complaint is the poor quality of the coffee, but that's true of most hotels anywhere in the world :urm:

I'm considering a visit in January; despite the fact that the Steigenberger is more expensive than most Luxor hotels, I'll definitely stay there if I make the trip.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Your bed here will be ready and waiting Yildez. Do you remember the delicious falafal sandwiches you used to buy for our breakfast to eat at the pool. We were never ill with that street food. Mind you I still miss Nokta.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:Your bed here will be ready and waiting Yildez. Do you remember the delicious falafal sandwiches you used to buy for our breakfast to eat at the pool. We were never ill with that street food. Mind you I still miss Nokta.
Thanks Carrie :rs I used to buy those sandwiches from a man with a little stall in Fayrous - just an upturned oil drum to cook on, and prepared trays of fillings. There was always a queue but as soon as he saw me I was ushered to the front, despite my protests! The BEST falafel ever!!! In my experience a street food cart with a queue is safe, turnover is rapid and customers are regulars!! Although I've been ill from food in many countries, I can't remember ever being ill from street food!