Foreigners living here discussed on Egyptian TV

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Foreigners living here discussed on Egyptian TV

Post by Dusak »

The horse has bolted, so pointless shutting the stable doors for us owners. When we decided to build, no foreigner advised against it, or told us to rent first. And, from that first trip eighteen months prior, Egypt was giving the Brits the hard sell concerning owning property here. So no alarm bells, no documentaries on the TV same as Spain had over property. There is only one factor that change all this, the revolution. But as I've said already, I loose no sleep, can afford to take a big lose on what I originally paid. Some one out there would be quite willing to have a chance money maker for the future. But I will say this, once I'm in Thailand I'm going to see how the Thai banks deal in Le. I know they do as they have plenty of visitors from Egypt, not all can have foreign currency to spend.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

First time I was in Egypt, I met an American woman in Aswan who was travelling with her son. She hated Egypt and almost broke down in front of me. The guide she had hired had tried to make her believe that someone called Isis had flown all over the country, looking for her husband, but he could not explain to her, how on earth they could fly in Ancient Egypt, of course there were no airplanes then. "Stupid Egyptians!" She was dying to go home from her two weeks holiday.

Next day she was more optimistic: someone had told her that you could purchase a home for as little as 70.000 EGP in 2005, so suddenly she thought of retiring in Aswan.

A few months later, I found myself nesting in a cosy flat in Luxor. I was still not sure what had drawn me there, perhaps I needed a break from backpacking or it was an Oriental dream, but I rented the place for a year. I had promised myself not to trust anyone and not to invest money, but I was curious enough to ask what it would cost me to buy the flat. 120.000 which could have been negociated and, looking back, would have included commission. As I sank deeper into the desert sand, loving my time in Upper Egypt between activities in Cairo, I did consider buying because it was so cheap, but they were building around me and I was worried about losing the beautiful view of the landscape from the city.

Since then, I have paid more in rent than it would have cost me to buy the first flat, but what I pay for is freedom to move and knowing that I am exactly where I want to be. There was a time when things were suddenly uncertain and we were not sure if it was wise or even possible to stay much longer. I never imagined that after all these years, I would still rent a home in Luxor, but if I had to leave cheap property behind, I am sure that it would have been worth the money.

However, if as a Danish tax payer, I was stuck with an unsellable flat anywhere in the world, I should pay property tax in Denmark.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

An incredible story BENNU, 18 months ago, 2016 a new 3 story villa was built near my old villa, at a cost of 96,000LE shows how property prices have been devastated by the inflationary pressures and lack of tourism. The guy was a local though!! :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The cost of building materials in Egypt has gone through the roof in recent years.

Of course that has little to do with the price you can sell a new build for - especially to some mug of a foreigner :lol:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Bennu, do you manage to get the same apartment every time? If so, do you book ahead for the next visit while there or just take the chance it's available?
Carpe diem! :le:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Winged Isis wrote:Bennu, do you manage to get the same apartment every time? If so, do you book ahead for the next visit while there or just take the chance it's available?
I know that certain members have mentioned that I do not live there, but it has been my home now for eight years, available only to me and my dresses, shoes and handbags. I am a guest in the country with no rights or commitments, but I feel at home, even if it may not be forever. I do not sell my flat every time I leave Copenhagen and I do not stop paying rent in Luxor if I am not there.

When I open my front door, I do not feel that I am visiting, I am back.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Thank you. You are a most fortunate lady to be able to afford both. Enjoy! :wi
Carpe diem! :le:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

That is because I downsized here in Copenhagen in order to travel more, which let to a life in Luxor. The expense of having a small home here and a spacious one in Luxor, three Egyptair roundtrips per year to see my grandchildren is less than the rent I used to pay for a more comfortable place with a posh address. This neighbourhood is becoming more trendy, so if I sell now, I would almost have lived here for free, enjoying what is not available in Luxor, so that I can truly feel at home there and be present.

Yes, Winged Isis, though some will disagree, I am fortunate.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

At the present time BENNU you are fortunate, but how do you see the future and what will happen? The way things are changing in Egypt I don't really see a secure future for Europeans at all,especially home owners, and to be honest even tourists... It seems for the time being you are ok in what you are doing though, for me I would require a little more security in the future, security which at the moment is reliable to change at the drop of a hat!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote:At the present time BENNU you are fortunate, but how do you see the future and what will happen? The way things are changing in Egypt I don't really see a secure future for Europeans at all,especially home owners, and to be honest even tourists...
Of course I am deeply concerned about the situation and future of the people around me and have been since the day I arrived, but I am not fearful for my own being in Luxor which I never took for granted. I would be sad to give up now, but I have always known that the time could come for me to leave in gratitude of what Egypt has given me. On a very few occasions have I worried about my own safety, but I am happy that I stayed.
Major Thom wrote:... It seems for the time being you are ok in what you are doing though, for me I would require a little more security in the future, security which at the moment is reliable to change at the drop of a hat!
Unlike you, I was not looking for a place to retire, I just decided to stay for a year, then another year at a time, always knowing that I should be ready to leave any day. It has now been thirteen years, but Luxor is not my only home. If I no longer feel safe and comfortable in Egypt, I will not be searching for a new place to stay, I will start travelling again.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Good for you Bennu I would not decry your thoughts or attitude in what you say. Don't forget I was very happy when I moved to Luxor, never giving a thought to mine or my wives safety whatsoever. Living in a village too made us feel safe, a couple of people come looking for us once, stoned out of their minds, they were approached by villagers and driven out of the village and asked not to return.We got involved in village life the best we could and went to the local fest's, marriages, etc etc. It was not until 2 years before we left, when my wife was attacked that we reconsidered our safety. We did speak to the villagers who knew about the attack, but many did not want to talk too much. Probably it was a member of their family.

We attended a meeting of the Homda and the family of the man, who promised us they would take control of the family member, we told the family we would agree to nothing if such and act was repeated. The family failed the man was up to the same antics 6 months later, exposing himself at a party to a young girl. He is now serving a 7 year sentence for the same act committed just over 18 months ago. But the biggest insult of all was when we sold our villa, the lawyer acting for us, told us the man had been arrested and was in prison, he asked us to give the man a reference to either get him out of prison or to get a lower sentence, our answer was here is a couple of grand to get him a bigger sentence.

Beyond all that though we did expect to stay in Luxor and enjoy our retirement, that was our ultimate goal. But looking back now it was just an impossible goal, I suppose we could not see the woods for the tree's. after what happened our thoughts on the culture, and way of life changed completely, and no matter how we tried to recover it, we were unable to. Back in the European way of life now and enjoying our retirement fully, our minds are reactivated and the way of life suits us completely.

I am sure Bennu that going between the two places you like in life suits you too, and providing it stays that way, I have to admire your thoughts.