Any info on Laura Plummer

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Any info?

Post by newcastle »

If she wasn't as dumb as a brick, common as muck, dressed like a tart and blabbed all over the gutter press I might have been able to rustle up a smidgen of sympathy.

If she didn't have two sisters and a mother who look like extras from an Alan Bennett sitcom....

As it is...."Lock 'er up!" :a15:

@ Adamantium. I would have thought the fact she only got 3 years indicates that the judge accepted her reason for acquiring and bringing the drugs. Can't see that the method of acquisition will have any bearing whatsoever although I hope the full force of the law is brought to bear on the friend who supplied them and that an example is made of her.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Adamantium wrote:Her situation or the circumstances surrounding her arrest are now being investigated back home.

Police are investigating how a British woman convicted of drug smuggling in Egypt obtained the banned painkillers. Humberside Police said it was "Looking into circumstances of how the prescription drugs came to be in her possession."

How that might benefit her we can only wait and see. But will it matter to the Egyptian authorities when their only concern is her bringing them into the Country? However it would substantiate her story to their origins. It is then for them to decide if they were obtained for the purpose she said or not. It will be up to the Police through what they find to convince Egyptian authorities of the truth as they find it if it goes in her favour.

Surely Humberside Police are only carrying out investigations into this case because a crime has been committed in the UK, by one or more persons, in acquiring these drugs legally other otherwise, and then passing them on to another party for which they are not prescribed, with the probable knowledge that they were going to be further distributed to another person for their personal, or other, use. I can't imagine their findings would have any relevance on the case of smuggling brought by the Egyptian authorities, unless of course this woman has done this before and is known to be a smuggler.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The majority of inmates incarcerated are as quote: 'as thick as f*** or 2 short planks, which to be honest is a virtue.... 8)
Ps: You will have to ponder that fact.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

It is a story that stirred many into sharing tales of woe relating to Egypt and Arabia. Tales of injustice and Police brutality. Some shine a light on conditions in Egyptian jails. It is a story that has sent ripples upon ripples from other stories that come out of Egypt. Had they just simply deported her she would be forgotten by now. If she was deported we would probably not even have heard of her.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I do agree with you Adamantium. Confiscation of the drugs and deportation is what you would probably expect, but for whatever reason the Egyptian authorities though different. There will no doubt be good mileage, and a fair about dosh, in it all for her family and her when she gets out. I don't need to contribute and buy the magazine or book though as I can well imagine what it will say.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It's naive to believe the Egyptians would deal with this matter by confiscation and deportation. Keeping it quiet as it were.

I would have thought it's obvious that they care little for international opinion and even less for the UK tabloid press.

Look at the numerous cases of foreign journalists locked up for months awaiting trial, the Regeni affair etc. etc.

The conditions in Egyptian jails, police brutality etc. have been common knowledge for decades

They are immune to foreign opinion and the fact that you or I might have dealt with the matter differently is neither here nor there.

Running to the tabloid press has not helped her case one iota. In fact, it's probably made it a lot worse. Slagging off the Egyptian system is unlikely to improve your chances of being shown "mercy".
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Personally speaking, I do not think it was just the issue of transporting banned drugs into the country, I think that the person in charge of such things wanted to create an example of her, just to show that we foreigners, especially the ones living here, are now basically just about tolerated, not as welcomed as was the case in Mubarak's time. Maybe just an act of spite, maybe some other reason. We no longer have the luxury of just living a peaceful existence here, we are constantly being monitored, questioned, investigated as if we have some sort of ulterior motive for being here. We seem to be the collective flies in the ointment. Since the exchange rate shot up, I have noted a slight change in the attitudes of the locals, especially when you go and purchase anything. They are not stupid, they know what you are now worth with the advantage of these higher rates, far in excess to their's. In the past when it was 9.5-10.5Le to the £. life just went on, but now I see a growing begrudging like attitude.

It is now being suggested, thru third parties, that if certain folk want an unobstructed time here, then a simple remedy is available for the taking, I emphasize the last word, to take advantage of a new, but no profit business venture.

If you did not believe in being thrifty, and had, let us say for arguments sake, an odd £5,000 laying around, you could elevate your worth by donating it to a suitable cause. Like in most cases, the truth is concealed well between the lines.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Your entitled to your opinion on the treatment of Ms Plummer Dusak, but I don't agree.

Bringing in proscribed drugs without doctor's papers etc etc will see you arrested. Period.

She was brought to trial remarkably quickly and given a sentence which is by no means exceptional.

As to being "monitored, questioned, investigated" I've never experienced it myself nor have any of the many foreigners I know who live, at least part time, in Hurghada. The new visa rules are tedious but we're used to them now.

I'm sure a few foreigners have found that working here illegally is no longer as easy as it used to be and have gone elsewhere. For the majority who are retired, own a second home and come for extended stays, there's no real problem unless they can't afford a couple of trips abroad each year. Such people probably added little to the Egyptian economy and are no more welcome here than any foreigner, with a similar profile, would be in UK.

In fact, foreigners wishing to reside in Egypt for extended periods have a much easy path than foreigners wishing to reside in UK.

The "open doors" attitude of the Mubarak years largely benefited Egyptian property speculators, and unscrupulous lawyers, who were able to milk naive foreigners. Going by the amount of building going on around me, the vultures are still here but, post the revolution, and with new rules and regulations, they are finding it a bit more difficult to persuade people to part with their cash for a "home in the sun".

At least the cost of buying a property has halved (in GBP terms) since 2011 although investing in Egypt still looks to me like an act of inordinate faith!

Anyone who bought 7-8 years ago, and wishing to sell, would be lucky to get half what they paid in sterling terms.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The only questioning here I have had was my interview with the secret police, did I work? No. Where did I get my money from? My pensions from the UK. They looked at my passport and my rental agreement. End of story. Go get your visa from the passport office in 10 days which I did. Can't complain about that and I have sensed no resentment from the locals re the exchange rate or anything else.
As for the woman she received the minimum sentence for drug smuggling, as I have said before she would most probably have been deported after a couple of weeks had she not caused such a fuss. Maybe it is a warning to foreigners though that they must obey the laws here in Egypt like everyone else and if so what is wrong with that?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I doubt she would have been deported if she did not make a fuss (even though I must agree the press coverage is overboard).

Since 2015 they seem to be targeting ex-pats for anything they seem fit with many not knowing the reasons why. :(

One of my Egyptian friends who did time in jail for carrying a kilo of hashish from the West Bank to East Bank told me that they was quite a lot of Europeans in jail in Cairo and also Qena, with quite a few protesting their innocence, so it seems not all hit the TV/Papers or maybe they prefer to keep silent about it hoping they will be released earlier (who knows)?

One we have just got to hear about is Pete Farmer, 45 who had worked in Sharm El Sheikh for 11 years who just got released in Nov 2017 (after 2 years in jail) for apparently stealing a bag. claiming he picked up the wrong bag in a club where he was DJing by mistake.

FYI: There is a women named Karen who is passing information to the secret police about ex-pats, so if someone (called Karen) from 2015 to present day starts becoming over friendly with you, just be a bit wary, or just don't let them know anything about you.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Of course you can disagree newcastle, that's one of the points of being a member of an open forum. Keefy came very close to what I was hinting at, but it goes much deeper from what I was told a few weeks ago. The thing is, and Who2 can probably verify this, :lol: when you are being investigated, you don't know your being investigated until the end result. As far as we are concerned, I see a very dramatic change in the wind within the next three years or so.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Egypt has for thousands of years developed one of the best security services in the World.
The Mukhābarāt / Amdowla
They 'estimate, employ over 100,000 people.
UK's MI6 / SIS employ 2500.
Remember! during Britains' occupation here it was the hotbed of spying.
The SSI targets start by listening to people then by interviewing their neighbours and associates.
Obviously without the intended targets knowledge.

That's why undesirable visitors/ex-pats are 'ghosted out of the Country. and often
Without reason, they are not stupid and nor are ones neighbours.

I'm sure they have a large file on me, but hey! 'if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
I even know a couple over the years......plus 5 local coppers from Cairo rent a place next to me, great guys.... 8)

Ps: And I have never been ashamed of being in Prison or admitting it to anybody.
I have always got on well with the forces of Law & Order.
Coppers arn't as daft as most people think, 'err....well there is one.
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Who2 wrote: if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

That's why undesirable visitors/ex-pats are 'ghosted out of the Country. and often
Without reason, they are not stupid and nor are ones neighbours.
I had nothing to hide, so did not fear anything, wrong way of thinking in Egypt :roll:

Other reasons to be removed can be down to jealousy of the neighbours/businesses making up stories about you (which they are very good at).
Oh, not forgetting paying the police a nice sum to have someone removed, which i heard many times in the 13+ years i lived there.

Another guy who seemed ok, was fluent in Arabic, fit in with the culture, seemed to get on well with the Egyptians, yet he was refused a visa and can not get back into Egypt, te excuse they give him was that he was an Israeli spy :lol:
Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

Expats turning on Expats...It is a sad, sad situation when I would think in these times you should look after your own. I see the reasons listed above. Who needs to watch the TV series. It sounds like Luxor has its own Game of Thrones. Karen stars as Cersie eliminating all who threaten her position. Or is Karen more of a dragon? How is it she holds so much power with the Police? What are her business interests so I can avoid them. What satisfaction can she get in causing trouble which now through her deeds being hilighted can come back to hurt her. What goes around comes around. As she does to others those left behind will sit and wait for her to slip up. Is it really worth it to Her? In light of this case and others why risk someone going through that. She sounds bitter. There is something broken in her.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have no doubt that the police have files on us all, so what! We are foreigners living in their country they should keep an eye on us. I have never had any problems with my neighbors, never complained about anything, never had cause to. Maybe I am easy going, live in my own little bubble, as someone once accused me of. But I am happy my Egyptian friends and neighbor's couldn't be more helpful what more can I ask.
Don't know this woman Karen or what ever she's called but if what you claim is true Keefy then it will get her nowhere, except a bad reputation with the other ex pats personally I don't really care if that's what rocks your boat well get on with it.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My life is very much like yours carrie, and one that I enjoy, but unfortunately here, even a saint's motives would be questioned. As for this Karen, and I personally do not know any Karen's, then let her fill her boots full of maligning words. Its not a case of expat bulling expats Adamantium, just the usual banter against those that sometimes overstep the intelligence line now and again. Usually Who2 posts quite interesting posts, but he has the uncanny knack at times of lifting ones shirt up and getting right up our backs. :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I am 100% behind DJ on this, they are getting their info from sources other than local places. But the thought of ex pat against ex pat is disgraceful, even though I do believe it had to come, and was happening before I left Luxor. So leave your squabbling to the internet and keep quiet in your groups, you never know who is listening and who is looking for immunity when the time comes, and it will come! The way they think foreigners are more trouble than enough, anything to get rid, made up or not, is a feather in their berry. Who would want to live under those rules? Just because people find living there cheap and nasty, (The Goods) it's not an excuse to have others spoil your time there if you are happy. Regarding this Karen has anyone thought it my not be her true name. I got falsely reported to a Hotel Manager for supposedly selling property and using his hotel to do so, the e-mail was from a woman on the West Bank, a report by myself and the Manager was submitted but there was no one on the West Bank by that name and the e-mail address had been opened and closed within 24 hours. The only thing is, the authorities have the IP number of where it was sent from, we thought they had gone into a Net Cafe and done it, but no Net Cafe had that source.
Oh by the way Hepzi I think its you that is always on about my spelling mistakes and I should use Spell Check, What does Änd a fair about dosh" mean? Its an expression I have never heard of before. :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I knew a person who claimed they could get an interview the then Governor, at any time. But whether they could or could not, whether true or not, (This person was well known to authorities for hyping everything) But if so, like I said in my previous post there are always people looking for immunity. This person also claimed to be able to get appointments with the Emdowla at the drop of a hat. So be careful! For myself I was known to be outspoken and whether or not it was the authorities or even the Governor there was no way I would hold back if I thought they were in the wrong, or expanding the truth, whats the point, if they do not understand then they will never learn. But like most things you can take a camel to water but to get it to drink is a different matter, unless of course you have a couple of bricks. :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

When myself and wife moved to Luxor, we were happy and content the cost of living was low and we had good savings and thanks to the numbers game a year before we became set up for life, but some of the things we read going on here, and now this suspicion of Ex Pats turning in on themselves disgust me. We were living a luxurious life with an income of over 600 GBP a week. But even though we were it was not enough to not want to get out. We wanted a more adventurous life of entertainment and some relaxation without having to worry. Ok now I have my own state pension now and free medicare, our cost of living has risen dramatically and is virtually the same as the UK unless you purchase locally made food and goods, but they are of good quality and are guaranteed with your till receipt. When I say free medicare, there are small costs, 3 Euros to see a doctor but no waiting, 6 Euros to see a consultant and normally you can one the same day, prescriptions are 0.5 Euros, and not for every item but per prescription. The Ex Pat situation here is such as they are all too busy getting on with their lives to bother about anyone else. You do get the occasion when people have come across here with no savings and suddenly the profits on their home they sold to come here dry up and they end up poor and bitter and do not know how to change their lives. But that happens everywhere. Unless you have an income stay away. What we like though is most are very capable of keeping theirs and their friends own council. People here will actually get up and walk away from gossip. A great attitude and keeps things in order. I feel so angry that someone is feeding information about people to authorities in Luxor and condemn it completely, but the situation is so that you could see it coming. I just hope that you can all weedle this person out and turn the situation around. Even writing this post I can feel my blood pressure rising totally uncalled for!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Have you never considered that if, if somebody reports peoples' behavior to the authorities there could be a very good
reason, perhaps they find some peoples' behavior disgusting, immoral and not on.
Would you as ex-plod allow theft, extortion, child cruelty, to be condoned by your silence.... 8)
Remember:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (or women) to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Sophocles.