Entertainment

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Entertainment

Post by carrie »

I recent post made by a member says he is going to a Christmas dinner (with entertainment) something else (with entertainment) etc etc.
Got me to thinking, I don't need entertaining, I can entertain myself. I don't want to have things planned for weeks ahead just go with the flow and see what the day brings and for me always something interesting. Yesterday went shopping and for lunch with a friend, met lots of people I know whilst out and about, one of who I have not seen since he was 9 years old now he is driving a car and has his own small business, been in the army and married. Sat in the Winter Palace garden for an hour near the fountain watched a bird trying to get a drink from the water but they were refilling the pond so the water was too low for it to reach. The silly thing didn't get it that if it jumped down on to the dry bit then it could drink to it's hearts content. Not everyone's idea of entertainment I know but if I wanted to go out partying every night then I would never have moved to Luxor in the first place.
What keeps you entertained?

Gopha75

Re: Entertainment

Post by Gopha75 »

Cannot think of anything I would rather do at the moment than sit in the beautiful gardens of the Winter Palace - sounds like bliss to me :)
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Sitting in a Cay House watching the street action - nicer now all the visitors have gone home to Istanbul and Ankara. Sitting on or by the beach watching the changing colours of the sea. Painting watercolours. Knitting winter hats for Syrian refugees - gets very cold in the East, and even in Izmir. Meeting friends for a pre dinner drink in the harbour. Listening to opera. Watching my cats play "chase me" round the garden. Reading, reading, reading - ALL the time. And when I'm in Luxor, visiting temples and tombs, an endless source of fascination.

No interest in "entertainment" that involves large groups of people, excessive drinking, tribute bands, TV, or "Christmas" festivities.

I'm sure to some people my life would seem boring, not to me though. I can say with complete honesty that I'm never bored. I count my blessings every day.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Reading, reading, reading - ALL the time
Yep....plus very occasional film , DVD or TV prog. Listening to classical music

Watching my grandchildren grow up.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

What these posts are confirming is what I have written on another thread and that is basically what is one man’s meat is another man’s poison. I enjoy doing just about anything although I am regrettably not a talented artist, but I love nature and seeing the world around me. Spontaneity is the key with me, bumping into an old friend whilst out and about and maybe having a drink or lunch with them, or that unexpected visitor. The unplanned get together when someone is celebrating an event or maybe you just decide to invite a few people around on a summers evening in the garden. Or like the friend who just phoned to ask me if I fancied joining him and his wife on a short break, we are all different and what suits one does not suit another, but some people are too blinkered to ever see that.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Ive learned over the last handful of years that you need nothing of those listed on the Tarts post :lol: Just being in the company of a person you really care about, laughing together at the most trivial of things in life, enjoying a modest meal together while watching a latest block buster kindly downloaded for you by a good friend, is all you need. You can call it Christmas or anything you want, I just call it a normal day.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

As a city girl, I have been used to having everything available on my doorstep. I could not imagine a lifestyle that did not allow you to party any time you wanted, go to the theater spontaneously, run into friends at bars anytime, dress up any night of the week for dining or dancing - and be able to walk home.

I do not sit down at the Nile, waiting for entertainment to come to me! I do not fly to Cairo for a night out, but when I do go, it is for an intense week of music, dance and parties - not to be compared to the kind of entertainment that you can expect at a three star Ramla establishment. I am always saving up for my next trip and have some incredible memories that live on, when I am by myself in Luxor.

Rather than going to jazz clubs once or twice a week in my city far from Luxor, I have a week packed with concerts by my favorite artists, the great masters I have enjoyed since I was a child; I hardly hear a CD with musicians I have not experienced live. I discuss the music online and plan my year around Copenhagen Jazz Festival. I always leave enough money in my budget to be able to get the best seats for any concert I want, anticipation and memories being a great part of the value, while I watch the sun and moon rise on the Nile.

In between quality entertainment, I am private and very calm. Playboys in the north and south mistake this for boredom and my solitude for loneliness from which they would happily rescue me. When they see that I can entertain myself and do have a life, you cannot see their behinds for footprints.

My neighbours blame me for spending too much time by myself, for not getting out much or getting married, fellow foreigners pity me for being on my own, not even trying to look busy and popular. A dear relative I admire a lot, called me last week, telłing me how inspired she was by the fact that I can find so much joy in everyday life, in between enjoying some highlights of which others only dream.

To me, it is about being where you want to be, knowing where and when to go, not in order to escape boredom, but to fill yourself with the kind of input that keeps living on inside you, until next time, the music plays.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You have my permission to use my name Carrie :lol: . Yes one man's meat etc does come into play. I used to sit inside our villa watching birds that's all there was to do when you feel a prisoner in your own home, having to clean and dust everyday to keep yourself going.
Now its different, there is no dust, no sugar cane burning, no ripping down of mud huts, no slinging rubbish down in the streets etc etc. Because of this it gives us more time to go out and enjoy ourselves, even shopping has taken on a new leaf, we can get what we want here. Yesterday went to the Mall for new Christmas Tree lights and baubles, got some Autoglym products, 2 new Duvets for the Winter with covers.
After shopping up to Greenhills for Proscetto and a G & T. Then to Sea Caves for Dinner. Got home in plenty of time for Corrie and Eastenders. Then a Green and Blacks and off to bed. Tomorrow over to Latchi Marina for the day to meet up with friends. Breakfast, 5 hours on the boat to the reef and Blue Lagoon, back for lunch then to pick up a case from the winery for Christmas, and back to see the birds drowning in the storms we have had during the past 3 days :lol: Yes we have had lovely rain, lightening and everywhere is fresh and green. The season is nearly over here so the entertainment has halved, however pool parties, and the usual Halloween and Christmas festivities are starting. We are going to Akritiri for the UK Forces Firework display so looking forward to that. Supposed to be over 50,000 GBP of fireworks being let off, all in aid of charity. So really all in all still a lot to do. Relatives coming over at Christmas, so have to prepare for them.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Glad to hear that the place suits your taste and your aspirations. Good to know that you are finding plenty to do but it's not the life many would want, doesn't appeal to me at all. I knew what I was getting when I came here that's what I wanted and why I am happy here. Don't keep looking for the unobtainable MT no where is perfect.
Have a nice Halloween party and I hope the fireworks aren't being bought out of UK taxpayers money. :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Green Hill:
We just ate dinner at the green hill we live here and eat out allot. One place we have wanted to try and wow I would never suggest to anyone to ever come, come up and take picture of the view but don't go inside! Food order was wrong and when came the pork was all fat! Cocktail was just pure lime juice and the staff where very very rude leaning over when eating and setting table. Our starter was also inedible :( atmosphere was terrible!
Sea Caves:Won't be going back
We sat for ages waiting for someone to come to serve us while the owner and staff just chatted. In the end we walked out. Won'tbe going there again.

One mans view is another mans..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:You have my permission to use my name Carrie :lol: . Yes one man's meat etc does come into play. I used to sit inside our villa watching birds that's all there was to do when you feel a prisoner in your own home, having to clean and dust everyday to keep yourself going.
Now its different, there is no dust, no sugar cane burning, no ripping down of mud huts, no slinging rubbish down in the streets etc etc. Because of this it gives us more time to go out and enjoy ourselves, even shopping has taken on a new leaf, we can get what we want here. Yesterday went to the Mall for new Christmas Tree lights and baubles, got some Autoglym products, 2 new Duvets for the Winter with covers.
After shopping up to Greenhills for Proscetto and a G & T. Then to Sea Caves for Dinner. Got home in plenty of time for Corrie and Eastenders. Then a Green and Blacks and off to bed. Tomorrow over to Latchi Marina for the day to meet up with friends. Breakfast, 5 hours on the boat to the reef and Blue Lagoon, back for lunch then to pick up a case from the winery for Christmas, and back to see the birds drowning in the storms we have had during the past 3 days :lol: Yes we have had lovely rain, lightening and everywhere is fresh and green. The season is nearly over here so the entertainment has halved, however pool parties, and the usual Halloween and Christmas festivities are starting. We are going to Akritiri for the UK Forces Firework display so looking forward to that. Supposed to be over 50,000 GBP of fireworks being let off, all in aid of charity. So really all in all still a lot to do. Relatives coming over at Christmas, so have to prepare for them.
Watching birds drowning - with a smile - is not on my list of entertainment. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk .. I think that I would of derived far more pleasure watching the birds swoop and chirp in pleasure than watch them drown in a deluge. But, whatever fills your boots as the saying goes.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

You pipped me at the post by two minutes as I had to nip for a pee half way though the post. :cry:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Don't worry Dusak, you will get plenty more opportunities - unfortunately. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well todays entertainment was a garden party held at Little Gezira Hotel in aid of A.C.E. very well attended and I hope lots of money raised, I certainly spent enough. Lots of laughter especially when the same table kept winning the tombola prizes ( a fix). Some lovely hand made products made by local expats and best of all thank you J I have been looking for papyrus plants for ages and now have two. Nice music to browse by too.
This evening is a Halloween party at the same venue I hope everyone who attends enjoy themselves.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:This evening is a Halloween party at the same venue I hope everyone who attends enjoy themselves.
I hope that they can keep the noise within the environs of the hotel this evening. I lost enough sleep last night from over-loud music coming from that direction. Actually, I think that I am being very generous in calling the noise "music".