'Get a Guide Book'

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

'Get a Guide Book'

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I quite often read holiday information and review sites, especially if I'm going somewhere I've never been before. One that I look at, not an Egypt focused one I hasten to add, has a group of regular posters who seem to respond to almost every initial enquiry with 'Go and buy a good guide book.' 'Have you bothered to read a guide book.' or similar phrases. This more than irritates me, not least when I or others ask a fairly specific question.

Obviously, from time to time it's clear that the original poster has booked a holiday but has absolutely no idea about the place they are going to and are asking questions that you'd think they would have thought about before booking. In a Luxor context it would be something like 'I've booked my family holiday to Luxor. Which is the best beach we can snorkel from?'

How would you react if you asked a question about a holiday destination and were told to get a guide book and come back when you've got a more specific question?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: 'Get a Guide Book'

Post by newcastle »

If you ask a fairly specific question, it merits a sensible response - e.g "how much should I pay for a taxi from Luxor airport to the Steigenberger".

Even a more general question - e.g. "what's the best beach/ hotel in Hurghada for families?" - deserves at least recommendations. Presumably the enquirer realises that any answer as to "the best" will always be a subjective opinion.

If I see a question like "what's there to do in Hurghada"...my eyes glaze over. I doubt I'd be bothered to respond but " Look in a guide book", or "Check it out on the internet" would be entirely appropriate.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

''Well f*** you then.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

If you think how long the publishing process takes, in a lot of countries the guide book is way out of date by the time it goes on sale, so I think 'read a guide book' isn't very helpful. :(
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Far more up to date and reliable to use the internet for the information you seek. One persons view of things, the author of the guide, is not as good as a few of thousand of feet on the ground in the interested country or area.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Newc. How would you react if someone asked "What is there to do in Luxor?" People genuinely ask these questions, looking for answers. I would always answer, by saying if you are interested in history enjoy, for anything else I suppose I would not bother. Just out of interest what would forum members answer?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Newc. How would you react if someone asked "What is there to do in Luxor?" People genuinely ask these questions, looking for answers. I would always answer, by saying if you are interested in history enjoy, for anything else I suppose I would not bother. Just out of interest what would forum members answer?

As I said earlier....... " Look in a guide book", or "Check it out on the internet" would be entirely appropriate.....at least if the question was posed by a complete stranger.

As Ruby Slippers says, Guide Books are of limited value and often out of date....but the question smacks of someone too lazy to do their own research. Various sources are available on the internet (just type "what's there to do in Luxor" into a search engine").

If the enquirer was prepared to give me some clue as to their interests, preferences, circumstances etc. ....and why they were asking.....then I might be prepared to give their enquiry a more considered response. At least I would have disposed of the 'time-wasters'.

I should add that an enquiry from a friend or relative would receive a more detailed response :lol: Nowadays, most people use the internet or ask people they know who either live in, or have been to, the place.

I can't see anyone finding your response - " I would always answer, by saying if you are interested in history enjoy " - of much use :urm: