A mystery for you all to help solve.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A mystery for you all to help solve.

Post by Dusak »

Here's a bit of a mystery to can get your juices flowing on.

At around 11am this morning I received a phone call. The very well spoken English man introduced himself as the acting solicitor for my ex-wife that wanted to instigate divorce proceedings. He spoke quite quickly so I was unable to catch his name or firm that he represented. He asked me why I had not returned the court papers that had been sent to me in September of last year concerning the divorce. I told the truth, I had never received any papers and could not understand why as I am well know in the village and have never had any problems in the past with mail.

So I asked him what address had he used. All he managed to say was Hilton street before pausing, so I gave him the full address, finding it funny that my wife, who would of remembered such a thing, had got it wrong. When I mentioned KarnaK, he said, ''Oh, I think I've been there.'' Well, your a bit of a tosser if you have been to Karnak in Egypt but only ''think'' that you have. I told him to also include my phone number on the letter as if the deliverer had a problem finding the house, he could ring me as has happened in the past.

I told him to ignore the +44, just my Egyptian number. He said that he had only used my number, not placing the +44. I did not give this a thought until later.

I also told him that if his firm had attempted to contact me via the e-mail address my wife had, then this would explain me not hearing anything as the account had been hacked some two years ago so I was unable to open it, me forgetting the password. So I gave him another one to send me his e-mail address which I would use to notify as to weather the letter was still held at the post office.

A bit later I started to wonder.

First of all he stated that this was his first day on the job with this firm so was lacking in detail. Not professional.

Secondly when I checked the number he had contacted me on, it turned out to be a local Egyptian sim- that number being 01026530404. First lie. I also heard a woman's voice in the background whispering.

Thirdly I sent him a text on this number that stated- If you are in the UK how come you contacted me on a local Egyptian number? I never received a reply. Again unprofessional, and even more niffy.

Fourth point, any correspondence of such importance would of been sent by registered mail, me having to sign for it. Again, a bit fishy.

Fifth point, no money was mentioned, and as I do not believe that pigs may fly, I find this suspicious.

And my final point is why, when he finished the conversation he did not say the usual ''Thank you, or ''goodby.'' you would expect from an English person signing off to another instead of saying ''Shukran?''

So my thinking is, is there a mischievous twot sitting in a hotel somewhere in Luxor attempting at stirring the s*** on another persons behalf, not necessarily hers.

I am also aware, and have been for a few years, that a member on here has/still is in contact with her, even though she would be quite capable of joining the forum and read what I have to say first hand, attempting to discover certain aspects of my life here that I do not mention on the internet which has happened via a third party.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: A mystery for you all to help solve.

Post by BENNU »

When I have used prepaid services for international calls to Egypt and other countries, it has looked as if I was calling from different local numbers.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Mmmmm....

Remember that thread a few days ago about phishing emails?

Sounds like a phishing phone call.

Good of you to give him your address, phone number and email. :ct
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Like Bennu, when I place a call to Egypt from the UK on my landline I go through a third party discounted line. This always confounds my friends in Luxor as they think I am ringing from an Egyptian phone number.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

All good points, so why, if representing a paying client, did he not at least reply to my text? My address, e-mail, and number is known by many. I'm probably one of the easiest people to find as long as they know I live in Karnak. And being a member on here, that is not a difficult task to find out. I will see if the requested e-mail is sent. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote; "So my thinking is, is there a mischievous twot sitting in a hotel somewhere in Luxor attempting at stirring the s***

Funny you should mention "a mischievous twot sitting in a hotel somewhere in Luxor...
I happen to know of one that's gone off the radar for a few day's. No name No pack-drill.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:All good points, so why, if representing a paying client, did he not at least reply to my text? My address, e-mail, and number is known by many. I'm probably one of the easiest people to find as long as they know I live in Karnak. And being a member on here, that is not a difficult task to find out. I will see if the requested e-mail is sent. :up
So is mine!!

But I don't disclose it to random callers :lol:
why, if representing a paying client, did he not at least reply to my text?
Probably because he'd already got enough information to make your life a misery or create a duplicate persona for some nefarious purpose.

Tip of the day : In the unlikely event that you hear from him again, don't give him your bank PIN code.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Dusak wrote:All good points, so why, if representing a paying client, did he not at least reply to my text?
BENNU wrote:When I have used prepaid services for international calls to Egypt and other countries, it has looked as if I was calling from different local numbers.
He may not have received it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Like Newcastle I would be very sceptical of that sort of contact, a bit late in the day, but never volunteer any information over the phone, if someone is genuine then they already have the correct details and you should always make them repeat them to you rather than fill in any missing gaps for them. I am also wondering if someone local to you is actually trying to find out some sort of financial information from you, maybe by contacting you at at a later date and requesting financial details so that they can (supposedly) fill in certain divorce form details at their end? To say the very least they sound really unprofessional if they do represent your wife.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

PIN codes no problem as I do not hold any sort of card through choice. :up All the information I gave is on my FB wardens page for any to see.

My friend went to the main post office to check on the undelivered letter. They stated that no letter baring my name was in their system [undelivered international post held for one year if no return address] I have received no E-mail as yet. And if he was genuine, who [as a paying client] would wait for seven months before chasing up a no reply? When you receive a call like this out of the blue, the brain does not always operate at the best speed. My ex wife has my phone number as she contacted me when she wanted all the property to be transferred over to me. So, in receiving no e-mail, she or the solicitor could of contacted me any time they wanted to.

And, if her reason for wanting a divorce is for remarriage, then this is something planned for, so I would of thought a seven months wait for a reply could put a spanner in the works concerning dates.

I have also had it confirmed that if you use one of these so called cheap international numbers to phone over seas, then it does show up as a local number and you would not get a response from returning the call or text. But he would of known this, so why did he ask me to phone him back? [Possibly another **** take in the hope I would be trying all week]

Don't get me wrong, I have never had any interest in divorce proceedings as she requested another £20,000 to comply if I wanted one. This strange thing has caused me zero worry or torment, in fact I couldn't give a toss. But it is mystifying. I go with some twot amusing themselves, but now ''some where''. :tk Who recently said ''well two can play at that game.'' I hope it continues as it will give me something to bang on about for a few weeks. :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Next time you get a call from anyone. ask them to clarify who they are and state their business...up to the point when it's clear they are genuine.

You know it makes sense :wi

I have a regular caller - on average 2 to 3 times a day - who hangs up after 1 ring. Presumably they are waiting for me to call back.

They've been waiting 3 months now.

That's what I call patience :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well, I'm in a bit of a quandary. To day I received an e-mail from a legal firm that is supposedly representing her. Their offices do cover the area that I know she resides in. Their main website looks legit. But why she would not need her requested fee of £20,000 is a mystery. Perhaps she has met a lottery winner and in case he kicks his toes, as her still legal husband, I would be entitled to a bit. :lol: I recommended that they forwards any paperwork via Fed-ex, so we will see. I'm not holding my breath, but I did :ks my wallet.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well nothing like a bit of intregue to keep one amused.
The 'game is afoot Sherlock!

I once went back to find a law firm had been seeking me high & low for 6 months,
guess what ? they were located only half a mile from my home.

I had inherited a house by a river, cheers!.... 8)
Ps: The only other thing, I had won was the Grand National in 67, they all fell down except for Foinavon,
ridden by John Buckingham. 1967 a good year!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.