First time flying with the new regulations

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

First time flying with the new regulations

Post by FABlux »

Was very impressed by the security at the airport. Really geared up for the new regs, huge numbers of staff, tables to open cases on etc. Wish they had told you in advance they needed to physically check the kindles, laptops etc because like everybody else who knew they were packed in the middle of the case for maximum protection then had to find the dammed things and get them out for swabbing for explosives. Then they note passport number in book to show ok then say "Put back in case not hand luggage." Back and repack and same warning but a couple of bright sparks thought they could get away with it! Sent back at next check point, don't know what happened as their cases had already been checked​ in. Also physical check of hand luggage, Barry did that whilst I took the electronics again passport name and number in book. Finally a man on the way to the flight desk attached a plastic zip lock through the case fastening as anti tamper device/evidence.
After coffee shop area another thorough scan (that was where they found the hidden kindles) I said about. Then at boarding gate another check luggage and pat down!
So now you know what to expect!
Everybody was so efficient but very friendly considering it wasn't their fault they had to go through it all.
Apologies for typos, using tablet

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: First time flying with the new regulations

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks. That is interesting as I'm sure we all wondered how they were going to monitor the new regulations. It will be interesting to hear how the UK airports deal with this too to see how they compare.

I did notice that there seemed to be more layers of scanning at Luxor airport on my visit in December than my previous visits, and it sounds as though that has increased even more.

One thing I'm curious about - the cling wrapping of cases. Was that still available? If so, at what stage of the process could you do that?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Thanks. That is interesting as I'm sure we all wondered how they were going to monitor the new regulations. It will be interesting to hear how the UK airports deal with this too to see how they compare.
Will there be any changes at UK end?

The restriction on laptops etc in hand luggage only applies to flights FROM the designated countries.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

How much longer do you think it took to go through security, useful to know in case you have people meeting you :?:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Thanks. That is interesting as I'm sure we all wondered how they were going to monitor the new regulations. It will be interesting to hear how the UK airports deal with this too to see how they compare.

The restriction on laptops etc in hand luggage only applies to flights FROM the designated countries.
Doh! :a57: I'm blaming caffeine deficiency this morning. :a37:
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
newcastle wrote:

Doh! :a57: I'm blaming caffeine deficiency this morning. :a37:
But you raise a fair point.

Presumably those evil terrorists wouldn't be so inconsiderate as to try planting their new-fangled technology on flights from UK, Europe or America.....presumably :urm:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Of course not...... :br
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

carrie wrote:How much longer do you think it took to go through security, useful to know in case you have people meeting you :?:
Probably no more than an extra 30 minutes all in, including several trying to find the electronics from the centreof the cases! Forgot to mention you had to remove, belts, watches and even glasses at the first check in (The one on arrival where you show passports and tickets) which proved a bit of a problem for Barry who can't see a thing without them. The entry to the airside boarding gates one was the same but with shoes removed but glasses retained. Allow extra time for the departure gate one as that took a few people by surprise. If you want to nip out for a comfort stop leave your bag behind and tell the guy at the gate and he lets you straight back in ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This was the experience of a friend who flew out from Hurghada last week :

"We had to queue to go through the first security check as usual. We were expecting to put our iPad, kindle, etc into the hold but had to take them out of the bags so they could go through separately. Some individuals were asked to write down their name, flight number and carrier.
We went to check in where they confirmed these items would have to go in the hold. We only ever have the small cases that you can take on board but they didn't charge us to put these in the hold.
Security seems to be tougher but it took no longer than usual to get through. The second scan for hand bags etc went through the x-ray machine and we had our toiletries with us. My wife's hairspray was picked out as although it was only 100 ml it had the flammable liquid sign on it and we weren't allowed to take it through. This isn't correct procedure but we didn't argue with it. With hindsight we should have put the toiletries in the hold too.
On balance although it was a pain not having the iPad etc on board it didn't take any more time than usual and actually it was rather nice walking round the airport without having to drag the cases round too."
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

There was no change in the security arrangements at LHR for the Egyptair flight to LXR yesterday.

Baggage was scanned at the usual Departures entry point which is just of the check-in desk. Electricals were accepted in the hand luggage. Just the usual procedure of getting them out of the bag and putting them in a separate tray.

So no change at LHR!

At arrivals at LXR baggage went through the Xray machine. I was asked to open just on of my four bags!

Took about 30 minutes from landing to get through Immigration, Baggage reclaim. Duty free to car park.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's the airport staff that worried all these Countries not individual flyers.
And until that is beefed up they can forget the Russians et al flocking back.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It seems Hurghada airport is struggling a bit with the new search requirements...as this acquaintance of mine experienced:

TUES 18:03

******* we have had a nightmare!!!!! Had go to gate 41 at gate 35 2 Q men women just got through flight still not got all people on board should have flown 5.40 only hall full!!!! OMG can't tell you how bad only 1 woman searching all hand luggage 4 men checking the men nearly anarchy they start to call you about 1 half hours before flight !!! But we went 1 hr before flight to gate and it was chaos tell ******* please might not be same for you but just warning you
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Alexandre de Juniac, director general and chief executive of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), questioned the efficacy of the bans on devices larger than a cellphone, in a speech to the Montreal Council on Foreign Relations.

"The current measures are not an acceptable long-term solution to whatever threat they are trying to mitigate," de Juniac said. "Even in the short term it is difficult to understand their effectiveness."

De Juniac said the bans created severe "commercial distortions."

"We call on governments to work with the industry to find a way to keep flying secure without separating passengers from their personal electronics," he said.

In a phone interview with Reuters following his speech, de Juniac admonished the U.S. and UK governments for what he characterized as "no coordination at all" in enforcing the policy.

The airports covered by the U.S. ban differ from those in the UK one, and de Juniac questioned why the two countries did not have a common list.

"The discrepancy is harming the credibility of the measure itself," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-a ... SKBN16Z2J3
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Yes I found the security very good both in Luxor and Cairo. Only downside was the time it took to go through from domestic to international at Cairo due to full security before immigration.

Very impressed with the terminal in Cairo. Brought a couple of Chives Regal miniatures in duty free for the flight no problem in a sealed clear bag for security at gate.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Who2 wrote:It's the airport staff that worried all these Countries not individual flyers.
And until that is beefed up they can forget the Russians et al flocking back.... 8)
I understand the Russians are installing bio metric scanners for airport staff due to these concerns.
Personally I think they should allow foreign security to work with Egyptian security for "training" until tourist confidence returns.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

FABlux / BBlux, did you carry spare batteries for any of your equipment? If so were they in your hand or hold luggage? What was the ruling on the carrying of them at the time?

I ask because it appears that spare batteries cannot be carried anymore under the UK security rules.

will not be allowed on board the aircraft in either cabin or hold baggage:

spare or separate device batteries
portable power sources
Existing safety regulations mean that spare batteries and portable power sources can no longer be carried on board aircraft operating on affected routes in either cabin or hold baggage.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/addi ... -to-the-uk

I'm not sure I could cope without spare batteries and charger for my cameras. I suppose the only way round that would be to take spare/s out but leave them behind. Leaving chargers behind would be more irritating. Not cost effective at all and irritating - although I do still support increased safety and security measures in principle.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Hepzi, the way I read it you can take your charger so long as it is in your hold luggage, only power packs and spare batteries are prohibited.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Hmm...ok ...but what is a 'portable power source'?
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A portable power source is basically a rechargeable battery pack that you can plug any USB lead into it and it will charge the said device. They usually have a 1 Amp & a 2.1 Amp output supply so you can charge mobile phones and higher usage items like tablets, I have a 10,000 mAh (milli Amp Hour) one that can charge my phone about 4 times or my i-pad a couple of times before it needs charging up again from my PC. Very usefull if you are away from a power supply for any length of time ;)

Take a look at this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-2-Outpu ... rds=jetech
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Fablux wrote "Was very impressed by the security at the airport. Really geared up for the new regs, huge numbers of staff, tables to open cases on etc. Wish they had told you in advance they needed to physically check the kindles, laptops etc because like everybody else who knew they were packed in the middle of the case for maximum protection then had to find the dammed things and get them out for swabbing for explosives. Then they note passport number in book to show ok then say "Put back in case not hand luggage."

Im probably being a bit dim but I really dont understand.(Possibly a combined senior moment/blonde moment, you'll have to forgive me) But .... If items have been taken out of the hold luggage, and scanned and found to be perfectly ok, why do you have to put them back in the hold, why cant you take them on board if theyve been passed?