So wheres the difference?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

So wheres the difference?

Post by Dusak »

The world laments the rock an' roll legend Chuck Berry. Even the former president of the US, Obama, has posted his condolences. But in 1962 he was found guilty and sentenced to three years in prison for offenses under the Mann act. This law prosecutes people for smuggling/kidnapping any woman or girl across state lines for the sole purpose of prostitution and/or acts of debauchery. His victim was a just turned fourteen year old girl. He was also convicted for attempted armed robbery a few years before this.

So, because of who he was and what he achieved in the music world, should we all forget and pardon such actions? Did, I wonder, the girls parents forgive him when he was sent to jail. Or the girl herself forget it ever happened and carried on leading a normal life. I doubt it. Or is it just me, thinking that you can't compere such a mans criminal record to say, that of Jimmy Savile, a man of similar fame although he only achieved world wide notoriety after his death and it came to light what he had done.

And does it mean that any civilized, law abiding world citizen that thinks that ''he was the man of rock an' roll,'' is guilty of condoning this hideous crime because his music was good? It will be interesting to see over the next few months if any new accusations emerge concerning acts of sexual abuse over the past years now that he is dead and all the money earning record producers, promotional people, radio, TV, film executives all deny having any knowledge of any such crimes. Like Savile, its all about earnings and having a good popular seller under your belt. IMO.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: So wheres the difference?

Post by newcastle »

No saint sure.....but hardly a serial sexual predator in the mold of Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter etc.

In the absence of any evidence or even rumours to the contrary, I think he should be viewed as a talented performer who paid for the mistakes he made nearly 60 years ago. Crimes which, if you look into them, do not seem that heinous.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I can still remember the fuss when Jerry Lee Lewis came to the UK for a series of concerts - bringing his 13 year old WIFE with him, but everyone seems to have forgotten about that too. :P He was 22 when he married her and she was the daughter of his cousin - but they forgave him! Wonder how much their 'forgiveness' cost him? :mrgreen:
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

None of the really great Rock N’ Rollers were saints – Jerry Lee, Chuck, Elvis. Is that part of what made their music so great? Do you have to be a bad boy to be a great entertainer? I don’t know. Can you imagine, in an age when your parents are listening to smooth charming relaxing crooners like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby – then the excitement as a teenager turning up to a concert and finding all three of the above on the same billing? I would remember it for the rest of my life.
All three turned to religion. Jerry Lee is still going by the way, with his 7th wife (one or two question marks over the "accidental" deaths of a couple of his previous wives....)
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Let's keep the list going. Elvis, David Bowie, Jimmy Page.....
There are, and always have been girls back stage who know exactly what they are doing..... :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

And there I was thinking we were on the Wizard post.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Most had not the eyes to see.....
and felt unfounded sympathy. :ct
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:Let's keep the list going. Elvis, David Bowie, Jimmy Page.....
There are, and always have been girls back stage who know exactly what they are doing..... :ct
Let's not forget the boys too! ;)

Being openly gay, for example, is always going to make you a target. Elton and his (alleged) rent boys...and well known cocaine habit. George Michael caught importuning in a public toilet, and his industrial consumption of marijuana.

If you want a squeaky clean artist, you'd better stick to Vera Lynn :ct

Incidentally...HAPPY BIRTHDAY VERA....100 years old today :wi :wi :wi
Last edited by newcastle on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

In previous centuries it was Poets. The ladies (and men) were wild for Lord Byron in particular - "mad, bad, and dangerous to know".
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As I stated, perhaps its just me and the way I look at things. Its a sick minded barsteward that attempts to kidnap a child for sexual purposes, whether it be fifty days ago or fifty years.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:As I stated, perhaps its just me and the way I look at things. Its a sick minded barsteward that attempts to kidnap a child for sexual purposes, whether it be fifty days ago or fifty years.
He didn't kidnap anyone. The "child" in question was a 14 year old hooker who went voluntarily to work in clubs operated by Berry. She was subsequently sacked and when she complained her "story" came out.

That's why Berry was charged under the Mann Act, rather than more serious statutes relating to sexual offences.

In those days, anything to do with a black man and sex were jumped on. The case was riddled with racism.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Fair enough, but from what I read, and I looked at so many pages trying to find it in the first place so haven't a clue where to look now, the girl, who may have been a prostitute, did not go over the state line willingly when she realized that fact. In any event, the law is the law, as to whether she was an under age pro prostitute or not, He still wanted sex with a child, not an adult which probably would of just resulted in a fine. I also read that the major cities in the UK are now finding younger kids on the game, mainly under sixteens of migrant decent/parents. I would of thought that what they receive in financial help from the UK government they would not have to go down that road.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

When I was about 16, I accompanied my mother to a Cliff Richard concert, now personally I cant stand the man or his music, but my mother wanted me to go so I did.
While there, a girl sitting next to me struck up conversation and got quite flirty with me, so we went outside for a quick snog.

I have always been quite tall, and this girl was almost as tall as me and spoke quite intelligently, and was quite well developed, if you catch my drift... :cg
Luckily before things got any more serious, she told me she was 12 after I questioned her about her age. :o 12 !!!!!

An interesting story here as well...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -FREE.html
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:

An interesting story here as well...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -FREE.html
Well done that judge!

Good to see they are capable of making common sense decisions.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

No problem with that John, you were not to blame. A similar incident happened to me at a famous club venue near to Southport when I was twenty. Got swinging with a girl that actually looked a tad older than I, but turned out she was only fifteen. Now this club was renowned for not allowing anyone in that even looked under eighteen, but she, apparently was a regular. So, on leaving I approached one of the door men to report her age. I was growled at and told to mind my own F****** business. My next visit with the mates a few weeks later, I was unceremoniously told to f*** *** by the same doorman. Never went back, but it has always intrigued me as to why such a reaction. My mates had to leave with me as I was test running my new Capri.