Hotel Bookings

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Hotel Bookings

Post by carrie »

My friends recently stayed at a hotel in Hurghada, they booked with Sunshine holidays in the UK,they wanted to come to Luxor for a few days then return to Hurghada to complete their stay in Egypt.
Why is it when the hotels are approached directly their prices are considerably more than when booked through a company?
Surely they have to pay a fee to the booking company? My friends were quite happy with the hotel and intend to return there after the visit to Luxor but considering the parlous state of the tourist industry thought it might be more advantageous to the hotel to book their return stay direct.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Hotel Bookings

Post by newcastle »

Generally speaking Carrie you're right....the hotel benefits if you book direct (in not having to pay commission) and , in practice, many hotels, when approached direct, will undercut the rates available on booking sites.

But it depends on who you speak to at the hotel, and how persistent you are!

Armed with the lowest booking site rate, you need to speak direct to the hotel' booking manger, rather than some minion who will only be sticking to the rates quoted on the hotel's website.

I usually use Iberotel when in Luxor...for convenience rather than intrinsic attractiveness I should add! Having ascertained the lowest online rate through, say, hotelscombined, I ask to speak to the front desk manager and invariably get a better rate.

There's more hassle involved, but it can save money.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I went to this particular hotel on behalf of my friends, got a price for them, all well and good. They arrived paid the money but later when we were out they decided to look at Booking.com where the hotel was considerably cheaper than they had paid. They went back to the hotel and showed the manager on the internet the price on Booking.com and said we would like to pay this price next time we stay, we have agreed the price this time and not arguing about that. You will save money by not having to pay commission to the company and we will save by getting the hotel cheaper, win win all round. He refused so next time they visit they will be staying elsewhere.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I went to this particular hotel on behalf of my friends, got a price for them, all well and good. They arrived paid the money but later when we were out they decided to look at Booking.com where the hotel was considerably cheaper than they had paid. They went back to the hotel and showed the manager on the internet the price on Booking.com and said we would like to pay this price next time we stay, we have agreed the price this time and not arguing about that. You will save money by not having to pay commission to the company and we will save by getting the hotel cheaper, win win all round. He refused so next time they visit they will be staying elsewhere.
Seems the manager in question is a bit of a dickwit :urm:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've questioned this before as it makes no sense to me either. Apparently there is something called a 'rack price' (think that's the term) and the hotel cannot go below that price, no matter that it may be offered at a lower price on line.

One one occasion I had booked a few nights in a hotel on line (not Egypt on this occasion). I decided I wanted to stay a few more nights and went to the reception to book it. They had availability but couldn't book me in at the price I'd just paid per night. I went back to my room, went straight on line and booked from there. As luck would have it the price was even lower than my earlier booking so I grabbed it. The hotel and I agreed that didn't need to change rooms. (I was a little concerned that they'd give me a room that wasn't in such a good location, but all was fine.)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Once, as I had checked out of a luxury resort, one of the managers came running, begging me to stay. He promised an incredible rate if I would spend some more days.

He and his collegues were shocked when I told them what I had paid through an online agent and I showed them the web site. There was no way that they could match that, and they tried, it was less than day use of the pool. He then promised an attractive upgrade and 50% discount on food and beverages, which I accepted. It was in the hot summer, and I did not mind spending some more days at the pool.
:sd:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I've questioned this before as it makes no sense to me either. Apparently there is something called a 'rack price' (think that's the term) and the hotel cannot go below that price, no matter that it may be offered at a lower price on line.
I don't think this is the case.

Ahmed Mahmoud, @ Revenue Your Hotel
Written Sep 25, 2014
A hotel's rack rate is the full price at which rooms are sold to customers before discounts. Rack rates are usually paid if a customer books a room directly with the hotel instead of through a third-party travel agent or a travel website.
To find out the rack rate of a hotel room, simply visit the establishment's website or call the business directly. Hotels go through travel agents and websites to sell rooms at a discount during times of the year that they are not as busy. Part of the reason hotels keep a rack rate is to make customers think they are getting the best possible deal on a room when they book through a travel agent. In reality, a hotel's business plan does not depend on receiving the rack rate price for its rooms.

Rack rate
A hotel rack rate is the "published rate," or "the maximum a property charges for a room," according to Frommer's Travel Guides. It is sometimes quoted to potential customers over the phone, and it may be displayed on the room door. Either way, it's similar to the sticker price on a car: The only people likely to pay the rack rate are those who are unaware they can obtain a discount.

For more information about hotel revenue management , please visit
http://www.revenueyourhotel.com/

Unless it has reason to believe it can sell its empty rooms at rack price on the dates you request, any hotel which refuses to match, or possibly undercut, an online quote* is cutting its nose off to spite its face.

* Or they can offer some other attractive option ,as in the case mentioned by BENNU.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I only know what I was told. I still don't understand it! :oops:
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I only know what I was told. I still don't understand it! :oops:
I imagine "I'm sorry madam but we're not permitted (by law/regulations/whatever) to offer other than the hotel's rack rate" is the standard line in trying to pull a fast one. ;)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:I only know what I was told. I still don't understand it! :oops:
I imagine "I'm sorry madam but we're not permitted (by law/regulations/whatever) to offer other than the hotel's rack rate" is the standard line in trying to pull a fast one. ;)
Should add this wasn't actually told to me by when in a hotel by a member of staff. This came up (probably on this forum) many, many years ago.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

What Hepzibah points out here about the so called 'rack price system' is very much alive and kicking. It is where for example, were you to book a standard hotel room in say Birmingham, where on one Saturday night, you could obtain a standard room for perhaps £35 to £45. However on a following week-end, the same room can be offered on a Saturday night for £65 to £90. This all depends on what activity is taking place there, whether it be a major production by Sadlers Wells, sorry I mean City of Birmingham Opra, the N.E.C., or even the O2.

The point I have tried to make on this forum in the past, is that if you are a regular traveller, it matters not what ever is going on in that city whether it be Birmingham, or any other city in the world, once you are a regular stayer at that hotel YOU get preferential treatment over most others, for obvious reasons. That is certainly the case with regards to my favourite hotel in Luxor, and with many of the hotels I stay at throughout Europe, which whether you use Booking.com or what ever, I guarantee, I always pay less than the internet price. NOTE. Always keep those business card hotel references, especially names of managers.

Long ago, in the old days, I would arrive on a very often delayed train out of Cairo to Luxor, check in at the old Philip Hotel over night, offer to pay the bill the next day to be told by old Mr Philip the next day, that you are a very poor person, you pay nothing. Try saying that now the old boy is dead, at his son's hotel,.....Sonesta St George, I assure you all on here, is son was not thin even then. :wi :wi :wi .
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:
I usually use Iberotel when in Luxor...
The owner of this hotel is a very famous Egyptian man, known throughout all Egypt, and is highly respected throughout the tourism industry,he has always had a keen interest in the animal charities in Asswan, though with regards to Luxor he has always believed that both Brooke's and Ace have always been well supported by European donations, which actually has not been so in recent years.

Any how his first name is Hamdy, had you known is family name and telephone number, even you would have had a highly reduced rates for your visits to Luxor, which would have been certainly far lower than any internet price.

As they say, it's not what you know, it's who you know. :wi :wi :wi .
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Does it matter, if you cannot afford it don't stay at it, there are plenty of back street, hovels to stay in.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Is that so? Any you would recommend then from your wide personal experience MT?
Smile! It confuses people
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
newcastle wrote:
The owner of this hotel is a very famous Egyptian man......

Any how his first name is Hamdy,

Actually, his first name is Hamed :urm:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

A-Four wrote:
newcastle wrote:
The owner of this hotel is a very famous Egyptian man, known throughout all Egypt, and is highly respected throughout the tourism industry,he has always had a keen interest in the animal charities in Asswan, though with regards to Luxor he has always believed that both Brooke's and Ace have always been well supported by European donations, which actually has not been so in recent years.

Any how his first name is Hamdy, had you known is family name and telephone number, even you would have had a highly reduced rates for your visits to Luxor, which would have been certainly far lower than any internet price.

he bought a Duty free TV on my passport years ago would never take advantage of an acquaintance to phone to get a cheap rate at their hotel.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Are we talking about the same guy Bombay? . The billionaire Hamed el Chiaty?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Yes back in the day when there were not many brand TV for sale in Luxor it was the brand not the price.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Just take a walk around Luxor MD, I did add if you cannot afford! No I would not name any because I would not lower myself to stay in any of them. I was commenting on if you cannot afford the expensive hotels there are plenty of hovels to stay.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom, what is your description of a hovel?
-Aldous Huxley