Rant Alert

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Rant Alert

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Rant Alert. (You have been warned! )

I have bit my tongue and sat on my hands for quite some time, preventing myself from writing this rant. Today I read something and it has prompted me to unleash my restraint.

There have been numerous comments, posted here in public, and in private conversations (and I am not particularly referring to the pm system here), by some older and newer members alike, along the lines of ‘The forum isn’t what it used to be’ or ‘I don’t go in there any more, it’s boring.’ or ‘I won’t post there any more because everyone is nasty.’ Very often such comments are made by members who have been around the forum for quite a while but do not comment in threads (regardless of subject) with much regularity. More often than not, the complainers have never, or rarely, started a topic for general discussion, no matter how long they have been a member.

An obvious solution, in theory at least, would be if the complainers put some of their negative energy into positivity and used the time they spent complaining by introducing new topics that may be of interest for others to discuss, or at least contributing (not complaining) in existing threads.
Of course, not all threads are going to be of interest every one, and some never get so much as one response whilst others get pages full of comments – but you never know until you’ve posted it in the first place. Not everyone will agree with your point of view, but that is what should make discussions interesting, and agreeing to disagree is far better than slating someone for their thoughts.

The forum isn’t what it used to be because people and circumstances, and Egypt, have changed.
If the forum is so boring, why are you continuing to read and whine? Why not try to do something about it and see if you can make it less boring for you, and possibly others.
Is everyone really nasty? Surely not all the people, all the time!

Some members do consider the forum worthwhile, and that it still has potential to inform, assist, amuse etc. Long may they remain and continue contributing.

If we are all part of the problem we can all be part of the solution.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Rant Alert

Post by Dusak »

Your rant HEPZIBAH will fall on deaf ear's, just like the numerous others have that have been posted in the same vain. The forum has bombed slowly in the popularity stakes, not necessarily due to the lack of new and interesting topics, but mainly to the replies the posters receive from those gifted few that are post assassins. I have a wealth of information, experiences and what is to come, but grew tired of the crass remarks by certain individuals. So stopped them, never to be reborn. We have always had many hundreds of silent readers, this will not change, more just prefer to do so instead of joining in.

And if you do post, either new or in part towards an ongoing one, you are considered to be ''one of the regular 5/6/7 or eight'' or a bar fly. You are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

That is one reason that I would never support the expulsion of a member, the rules are there if they are seen to overstep the mark. It does not matter to me if they continually stay on the same old same old, or change their minds and opinions more regular than their underwear or are purely vindictive in their attitudes to circumstances or members. They are members and have a voice, a voice that will never be music to every bodies ears. We grin and bear it, now and again giving as good as we receive, then move on.

We all must be able to take criticisms in life, no matter if it sticks in our craw at times or how ferocious they seem at the time of impact. The individual always has the choice, argue the toss or ignore it and move on. The first is easy too do, the second hardest not too.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

An excellent post Dusak.

Being that I brought the term 'bar-fly' to this form, I will explain why. When certain members wrote subject posts we all have a choice whether to make comment or not. This changed, where members hung around here, to stick another knife in, simply to get a laugh at that members error or downfall. I even remember Zooropa wrote on here, that if people wrote such horrid things to him, he would clear off.

I remember a English woman coming to this form years ago, saying she had just married on the WB and was going to operate a ironing service. She wanted to know where was the best place to buy an iron, people on here were suggesting various place. My comment, the last one was,.....'May I suggest you ask your husband to have a word with his mother, who will know best available. Then to save time and money, my I further suggest that he, without you being there, purchase said item'. You Dusak, and others living in Egypt understand that very clearly, but then again some may not.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely terrific points Hepzibah :)

I do believe things have changed. I realize this Forum is LUXOR4U but, as you say, life has changed and I do not believe topics have to be confined to be ONLY about Luxor. I, for one, enjoy reading all variety of topics. Some are of greater interest to me than others and I'll reply accordingly.

I think we have a vast wealth of knowledge on here and could generate endless hours of interesting topics. I only wish more people would take the time to post what interests them and see where their Thread takes us. Some Threads wander the world as is the way of Threads with a veritable encyclopedia of information compiled up whilst others get no responses at all.

One Thread a day will keep the interest high!

:a4: :a4: :a4: :a20: :a20: :a20: :a4: :a4: :a4:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think that I'm correct in saying that most, if not all, receive notifications concerning not only reply's but when one receives a PM, by their e-mail provider. So what is needed, if any interest exists, is a member with loads of free time on their hands, trawling through the membership list and send PM's to those that have joined but have stayed inactive. A mini survey asking them why they joined and why they never post, or are content just reading. Then the rest of the forum will understand. And, if the vast majority go unanswered, that will speak volumes.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Don't forget Dusak that many people join in order to just play the games section.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Indeed Horus, indeed. :oops:
Smile! It confuses people
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote: We have always had many hundreds of silent readers, this will not change, more just prefer to do so instead of joining in.
Yes, for whatever reason there are lot's of silent readers, that is their choice. My rant however was, in the main, about those that do comment by posting negative remarks and never contribute anything positive. I'm not thinking about the constant repetition of 'Alas, woe is me!' threads and posts, but those that are like wasp stings - irritating and sometimes painful.
Dusak wrote: And if you do post, either new or in part towards an ongoing one, you are considered to be ''one of the regular 5/6/7 or eight'' or a bar fly. You are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Ah the bar fly! Something that could be added to a new urban dictionary. Again, used to provoke, rather like the wasp - irritate, sting, move on like an innocent. As one who has felt the barb on more than one occasion, I can confirm that it is irritating, but leave no lasting mark.

A common treatment for stings: If it's acid, bathe with an alkali. If it's alkali, bathe with an acid. Of course others would rather drown themselves in a glass or two or... of plonk. (Well it may not be plonk they are drinking but it seems to make them a plonker either way.)
(note to self - must look up the definition of plonker. may have used the word inappropriately)
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote:Indeed Horus, indeed. :oops:
Well if that's what they want to do its up to them, they are free to do so, but is does often account for so many none posters appearing in the list of visitors and of course many who play games also make posts. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Don't forget Dusak that many people join in order to just play the games section.
Or just to play games..... :lol:

The Membership statistics are quite fascinating.

Of the 3504 users....2865 have never made a post

Less than 100 users have made 100 or more posts.

Of those that post a lot.....the vast majority are still here - and posting.

The forum may not be what it used to be.......but perhaps it never was as some have described.

One or two have died....one or two have left in a huff....but, at first sight, I cannot detect any mass exodus.

Further research beckons......
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
Will your research take into account the fact that there are still only 24 hours in a day. Also, the fact that Facebook and other social media sites were not in existence or common usage prior to the last 10 years. These are, I am sure, important factors.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Dusak wrote: We have always had many hundreds of silent readers, this will not change, more just prefer to do so instead of joining in.
Yes, for whatever reason there are lot's of silent readers, that is their choice. My rant however was, in the main, about those that do comment by posting negative remarks and never contribute anything positive. I'm not thinking about the constant repetition of 'Alas, woe is me!' threads and posts, but those that are like wasp stings - irritating and sometimes painful.
Dusak wrote: And if you do post, either new or in part towards an ongoing one, you are considered to be ''one of the regular 5/6/7 or eight'' or a bar fly. You are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Ah the bar fly! Something that could be added to a new urban dictionary. Again, used to provoke, rather like the wasp - irritate, sting, move on like an innocent. As one who has felt the barb on more than one occasion, I can confirm that it is irritating, but leave no lasting mark.

A common treatment for stings: If it's acid, bathe with an alkali. If it's alkali, bathe with an acid. Of course others would rather drown themselves in a glass or two or... of plonk. (Well it may not be plonk they are drinking but it seems to make them a plonker either way.)
(note to self - must look up the definition of plonker. may have used the word inappropriately)
You should look up the definition of "barfly"......it simply means someone who spends an inordinate amount of time in bars.

Well....who'd have made that connection :tk

Someone who drinks a lot :tk

Certainly doesn't seem appropriate to most regular posters (plunge pools don't count :wi )
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
newcastle wrote:
Will your research take into account the fact that there are still only 24 hours in a day. Also, the fact that Facebook and other social media sites were not in existence or common usage prior to the last 10 years. These are, I am sure, important factors.
Of course the stats only go back to the forum's inception in 2005.

Reading some old threads was also fascinating.......maybe I'll exhume one or two :dv
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:

You should look up the definition of "barfly"......it simply means someone who spends an inordinate amount of time in bars.

Well....who'd have made that connection :tk

Someone who drinks a lot :tk

Certainly doesn't seem appropriate to most regular posters (plunge pools don't count :wi )
Yes, that is the definition I have heard before. It would seem though that it's meaning, at least in the mind of one member, has changed somewhat, hence I thought a new entry was needed. Of course, it could all be a smoke and mirrors thing - project oneself on to others. I'm sure there is a name for that but it's probably in the mental health 'ology' section of the library and I've not been there for a while.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
newcastle wrote:
Of course the stats only go back to the forum's inception in 2005.

Reading some old threads was also fascinating.......maybe I'll exhume one or two :dv
Alas, many of the old threads were cut out, a sad but necessary space saving procedure.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Games section ? didn't know there was one and wouldn't be interested anyway....8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Yes, that is the definition I have heard before. It would seem though that it's meaning, at least in the mind of one member, has changed somewhat, hence I thought a new entry was needed. Of course, it could all be a smoke and mirrors thing - project oneself on to others. I'm sure there is a name for that but it's probably in the mental health 'ology' section of the library and I've not been there for a while.
I've long suspected he thought the term meant something akin to "barrack room lawyer"....going by the way, and the occasions, in which it was wheeled out.

Ah well.....
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Oh please don't, (insert icon of me praying) :lol: its bad enough dealing with the current issues without opening another can of worms. :cry:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I don't know about other regions in the UK, but to be referred to as a barfly likens the one it is aimed at as a typical fly, flying about irritating folk, always trying to get a free drink off people or continually talking complete s**** in their endeavors to do so [drink this and **** off being their ultimate goal]. Also a bar fly term indicates a similar action by some people regarding anything, hovering around and annoying the life out of the person but staying just out of reach of the nearest rolled up newspaper.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As most are well over their sell by date, old posts would be viewed as new posts. Especially by those few who keep repeating themselves.