Trip Report.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Trip Report.

Post by Scottishtourist »

Following a couple of requests from some on the forum,I will post report on my recent holiday as a way of saying thank you for their interest.Hopefully those who detest me and don't read my posts will have pressed their little "foes"button..and I won't have to suffer their comments re "package"tourists,etc.

We arrived at the hotel in Pineda de Mar on 7th May about 5pm.A smooth 2hour 10 minute flight direct from Glasgow.As we were on an AI basis,we had dinner in the evening and intended going to bed.However the entertainment that night was a "Jackson5"tribute band,so after a few glasses of house wine and getting into the holiday spirit..we watched the show.Very professional,enjoyable..proper entertainment from "artistes".and not the hotel animation team.Struck up conversation and friendship from that evening with 2 Scottish couples and an English family.Just lovely.

Weather was a bit unsettled for next three days,torrential rain,wind,etc,so much so that it was pointless even leaving the hotel!However on these days we made use of the indoor pool,the warm jacuzzi,the free wine,the food,and the wonderful company.

We were situated 10 mins from small town of Pineda De Mar and 20 mins from town of Callella.Once the weather brightened up,I enjoyed the walk to both these towns to enjoy my morning coffee,buy ciggies,etc.Just to sit in a cafe and watch the world go by was bliss.

We booked a few excursions with the Thomson reps.The sun finally appeared on the Wednesday and we went to visit Gerona.It was the "time of the flowers"there.Beautiful!All the little narrow winding streets were decorated with floral displays and entry to most of the churches,museums,etc was free.Visited the Cathedral and the Jewish museum,but place was so busy that we kinda lost the Thomson guide,so contented ourselves with sitting down in a lovely little street cafe and partaking of a pizza and glass of wine.Then we weaved our way in and out of the narrow winding streets and did some shopping.Sheer heaven!Hassle free.

Next day it was warm enough to sunbathe,so I lay at pool in bikini for most of the day enjoying the antics of the families and their kids enjoying the sunshine and the AI coffee and wine.
That evening there was the most spectacular storm that I have ever seen.We had a seaview and the walls of water must've been about 10 foot high.Nice to watch it though from the sanctuary of the balcony.

Saturday night we did the "twee"tourist thing and went to a Medieval Night.Us package tourists,eh..how common!Well,it was a fabulous night.All that quaffing,slurping soup,and pulling apart a little poulet with our hands,all the while watching a "joust"with people dressed up as knights and beautiful horses prancing about.Even got our fotos taken and bought them.Afterwards we were entertained by a fantastic classical guitarist and flamenco dancers.Utterly vibrant.

Next day,we went to Tordero market.Bought a couple of bits and pieces,enjoyed sitting in a little cafe with a glass of wine in the beautiful sunshine.

Next day was a trip to BARCELONA.It was awesome!I can honestly say that I have never visited a more beautiful city.Saw the Gaudi houses,the Sagrada Familia(which is unbelievable!)the Bouqeria(sp)the Bullring,Golden fountain,etc.Sat and had lunch in Las Ramblas and spoke to an American couple who had Scottish ancestors.What a wonderful way to spend a day!Such a beautiful city,the architecture,the people,the history.

Our last excursion was to Tossa De Mar,gorgeous!Visited the castle,did some shopping,again lovely restaurants..so had lunch whilst enjoying the sultry sea breeze.Also went into a couple of tiny little Catholic churches there and spent a few minutes saying a quiet prayer and lighting candle for friends and family no longer with us.

All in all..it was the best holiday of my life,and I will go back.The hotel had entertainment every night.A flamenco show,African acrobatic troup,Gaucho trio,Magician show,Juggler show,etc.

Hotel was wonderful,AI was from 10a.m(following breakfast)til 11p.m at night.Big place,great pleasant staff,good housekeeping.What more can I say?What more could I want?

The Spanish also seem to be very health conscious.Every day they were running,jogging,cycling along the beachfront.They are also very animal friendly.No stray dogs or feral cats roaming around,all dogs and even cats kept on leashes,and streets were spotless.

No comparisons to Luxor are evident.And if these standards continue in Spain..then it will reap the rewards for this year and years to come cos people are now re-discovering the country due to their reluctance and concerns about safety in visiting places like Egypt,Tunisia,Turkey,etc.

Viva Espana..I'll be back!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Trip Report.

Post by Zooropa »

Can I have your phone number?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like you had a pretty fab and relaxing time :) and the 'time of the flowers' would have been right up my alley. Hope you're able to get some photos of it on here. Would love to see them.

Am curious about one AI aspect. Did the resort have different restaurants featuring different types of food? Was there lots of variety and was there any one type of food that was featured? (i.e. seafood? or beef? or poultry?)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Nice report, shows standards are rising, sounds like good evening entertainment too. I think you are correct in saying that people are turning. Their backs on North Africa because of safety issues. These safety issues will last for a while or at least until there is a long time of incident free issues, and that's not going to happen soon. People do not realise Spain has got history and culture too. How did you cope in Spain with the continuous hassle and getting ripped of in the shops ST?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Still doing the old Medieval Nights 45 years ago when we all used to go drinking sh*t cheap San Gria...8)
Nothing changes see you left out Watneys Red Barrel..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist, it is good to read that you enjoyed your holiday to Spain so much. You seem to have found a destination and style of holiday that suits you and your needs.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote: People do not realise Spain has got history and culture too.
:a54: Most people that I know want to go, or have been to Andalucia because of the rich history and culture.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Dr I used to play the part of the "Jester" at a Medieval Night, really enjoyed it and it paid well. Still go to them if I see them advertised. Good night of innuendo, carry on slapstick and fun. Used to love throwing eggs at the diners. They were blown of course but the diners did not know that, because I would crack a non blown egg over a wenches head. This egg had a marker pen cross on the top, fortunately I never got mixed up.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm glad you enjoyed your Spanish sojourn ST.

Comparing Spain to Egypt is, well, comparing apples to turnips.

Visitors to Egypt -especially Luxor - either love it (and come again & again) or hate it (and never come back). Horses for courses and all that.

You seem to have found a destination that suits you and I wish you many future happy holidays there :wi
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

now did I not say that one day your bottom line will fill with ''likes'' when you post a nice, pleasant post. An enjoyable read.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Glad to see that you had a good holiday, shame about the weather not being so good to start with, but I suppose it was a little early in the season for the high temperatures. Never been a big fan of AI in hotels as I do look forward to eating out although I do enjoy the All Inclusive if onboard a boat, funny how our tastes can change with the venue or destination. I do like a bit of culture and the more historic the better and you seemed to have found enough on your holiday to fill your needs, having said that I also enjoy a bit of evening entertainment as well and can enjoy a 'Medieval' night or similar as much as the next man, they can be great fun and not everything in life needs to be high brow.

I can also appreciate the fact that you found the hassle (if any) far less intimidating than in Luxor. Unfortunately even for seasoned travellers there is no let up from the hassle and that can detract from enjoying some peace and solitude when visiting the sites or just out for a stroll, so to just walk along the streets and take in your surroundings is something to be treasured.
Spain is an old country with lots of history and culture, quite a lot of which can be attributed to the Moorish influence of North African Arab and Berber invaders.

The Association of British Travel Agents has just announced today a big demand for holidays in Spain & Portugal as opposed to the Middle East and Turkey which have seen a decline, also some of the Greek islands have seen a fall in bookings due to the migrant crisis. Places like Bulgaria are now great value and a good alternative to consider as the Balearics will no doubt soon jump in price as a holiday bookings increase.

Here is something to remind you of the Festival of Flowers
phpBB [video]
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you for your post ST, so glad you enjoyed yourself. It took me back to my first visit to Spain in 1963, though then when English girls went out alone the local boys would follow and try to pinch their bottoms. It was rather like the children's game you'd have a group following and when you turned they would stop and then move as soon as you resumed your walk. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Really glad to read about your holiday, ST, and that you enjoyed it. Thank you muchly for posting an account and I also hope you post some photos! :up
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Am curious about one AI aspect. Did the resort have different restaurants featuring different types of food? Was there lots of variety and was there any one type of food that was featured? (i.e. seafood? or beef? or poultry?)
Hi LLL.
The hotel only had one huge dining room/restaurant and a smaller snack-bar.No different restaurants as such.Food was on a buffet style basis with plenty of variety and something that would suit everyone.The dining room also had waiter service and was very well organised and clean.Proper tablecloths and napkins,proper glasses,etc.
They had an Indian themed night and a Chinese themed night during the two weeks I was there.However there was also an abundance of seafood and the traditional paella dishes on offer most nights.Also,the usual pizzas,chips,etc for the kids,and pork and chicken dishes every night.The waiters took the drinks orders and cleared the tables,so didn't have to suffer those horrible trolleys rattling about!
All very orderly and professional.Were shown to a table every day by the maitre'd,so there was none of the scrambling about trying to find and grab a clean table.

We worked out that there were only a few hours during the day on the AI basis where if we were hungry we would have to pay for something to eat.Breakfast was 7am til 9.30am.Snack bar opened at 10am,and AI food was available from 10am til 12.Restaurant re-opened from 1pm til 2.30pm for lunch,then snack bar available again from 4pm til 6pm.Dinner was from 6.30pm til 9.30pm.

Drinks..water,beer,coffee,spirits,wine,juices,etc were available on the AI basis every day from 10am til 11pm..so never any problem with getting a beverage when required.

Place also had an adult only pool and an adult only bar.. if the kids got too much for anyone there.
The adult bar opened at 7pm and had entertainment every night.A guy from Glasgow who played keyboard and guitar and did cover versions of Beatles,Neil Diamond,hits from the sixties,etc.There was a small dance floor and some of the older(than me)couples would take to the dancefloor and jive,twist,etc.Also a quiz most nights with the winning team receiving a bottle of champagne.All very robust and good humoured entertainment.

The main bar had a stage where the evening entertainment took place and most of the shows ran from 10pm til around 11.30pm.It then quietened down a bit as most families with young children retired for the night,however the adult bar then had a "happy"hour from half past midnight til 2am and all drinks were half price.1euro for glass of wine,etc,and somewhere to go if you wanted a quiet nightcap.

As for MT's question about hassle and rip-offs...I experienced none.Shops had prices on all items so I enjoyed wandering about them to find the best price without being pressured to go in.All very leisurely.
The main thing I enjoyed though was that I could venture out onto the streets and sit outside a cafe with a coffee or a glass of wine,and no-one bothered me.
No "funny"looks because I was on my own,no nervousness,no "keeping my head down"and avoiding eye contact with anyone,no need to constantly repeat "la shukran"every few metres I walked.

I'd actually forgotten just how good a feeling that is!It's liberating and a great boost to self-esteem and confidence.Better than any anti-depressant!

For that reason,Spain didn't only refresh my vitamin D intake with it's sunshine.It has also refreshed my attitude to what I now want from a holiday.
Everywhere just seemed so "alive",vibrant and colourful..and let's face it..we all need the sunshine in our lives!
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:Glad to see that you had a good holiday, shame about the weather not being so good to start with, but I suppose it was a little early in the season for the high temperatures. Never been a big fan of AI in hotels as I do look forward to eating out although I do enjoy the All Inclusive if onboard a boat, funny how our tastes can change with the venue or destination. I do like a bit of culture and the more historic the better and you seemed to have found enough on your holiday to fill your needs, having said that I also enjoy a bit of evening entertainment as well and can enjoy a 'Medieval' night or similar as much as the next man, they can be great fun and not everything in life needs to be high brow.

I can also appreciate the fact that you found the hassle (if any) far less intimidating than in Luxor. Unfortunately even for seasoned travellers there is no let up from the hassle and that can detract from enjoying some peace and solitude when visiting the sites or just out for a stroll, so to just walk along the streets and take in your surroundings is something to be treasured.
Spain is an old country with lots of history and culture, quite a lot of which can be attributed to the Moorish influence of North African Arab and Berber invaders.

The Association of British Travel Agents has just announced today a big demand for holidays in Spain & Portugal as opposed to the Middle East and Turkey which have seen a decline, also some of the Greek islands have seen a fall in bookings due to the migrant crisis. Places like Bulgaria are now great value and a good alternative to consider as the Balearics will no doubt soon jump in price as a holiday bookings increase.

Here is something to remind you of the Festival of Flowers
phpBB [video]
The numbers are bound to increase this year as Sharm is off limits along with Tunisia, Kenya and the travel companies already reducing the program for Turkey since last year. Don't know how Morocco is doing seems to be ample flights if it all goes tits up in Spain and with the current UK Government all to ready to stop travel it can only be good for Disney World and Clacton!!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ST - the menu sounds pretty darn decent with a good variety of dishes and the throw in of specialty nights would add that little bit of 'oomph.' I've found sometimes the AI gets pretty boring as sometimes there isn't a great variety. Food is usually pretty good but it is gets same old/same old.

All in all Spain sounds like a pretty good destination. Will have to give it a closer look see myself.

Have to ask - when you went to the "BULLRING" what did the Tour Guide say about it? Only curious as I see it as a particularly barbaric activity and can't for the life of me understand how in this day and age the Spanish people could condone it. Did the Tour Guide offer any insight(s) about the whys and wheretofores of Bull fighting?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

if it all goes tits up in Spain and with the current UK Government all to ready to stop travel it can only be good for Disney World and Clacton!!
Hey don't knock Disney World, I have had some great holidays in Florida, them Yanks could teach Egypt a thing or two about how to treat tourists ;) and I had some of the best Chinese food ever whilst there. Gorgeous beaches on the Gulf coast, the Everglades, Key West and of course the fabulous Cape Canaveral. Even the UK has some fabulous holiday destinations, the only thing we lack is a bit more sunshine, we have the restaurants, the beaches, the attractions, the culture and we have it in spades, some of my best holidays have been UK based. :up
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

LovelyLadyLux wrote:
Have to ask - when you went to the "BULLRING" what did the Tour Guide say about it? Only curious as I see it as a particularly barbaric activity and can't for the life of me understand how in this day and age the Spanish people could condone it. Did the Tour Guide offer any insight(s) about the whys and wheretofores of Bull fighting?
Our guide was a handsome young Spaniard aged 24.He had been working with tourists since he was 19 and was pleasant,polite,well educated,and very knowledgeable about Barcelona.He was also very considerate with our "Golden Girls."This was a group of 3 ladies in their eighties who enjoyed their excursions..but were a bit slower at walking than the rest of the group.One of them had a walking stick and he would take her arm and escort her around,help her off the bus,etc.Such good manners.

Anyway,he said that the bullring was no longer used for bull-fighting.It has now been stopped (banned)in Spain,and the Bullring now hosts concerts,etc.
He did say however that there is much consideration being given to reviving the activity.But,it will be a spectacle WITHOUT the bull being killed.More a sporting activity to see the skill of the matadors.
Also said that this is now the way bull-fighting is in Portugal,so Spain are considering doing the same thing.

Can't comment if what he says is correct or not,cos I have been to Portugal and never noticed any bull-fighting advertised.Always thought it was a spectacle exclusive to Spain.

Maybe Jayway could advise and give us some further info.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ST - interesting his view of bull fighting. I've never seen a bull fight but am totally against this activity and see it as quite barbaric to torture a poor bull 'til his death. Was just wondering how your Tour Guide approached this topic as NOW am pretty sure many tourists would take any promo of bull fighting as a big negative. It is more than possible/probably given your Guide was that young that he never to a 'real' fight himself but I did wonder what the spiel about it would be. Can't hardly see it as something Spain would want to hold on high especially given Animal Rights today. Nice to know the bull rings are now used for concerts.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote:
LovelyLadyLux wrote:

Can't comment if what he says is correct or not,cos I have been to Portugal and never noticed any bull-fighting advertised.Always thought it was a spectacle exclusive to Spain.

Maybe Jayway could advise and give us some further info.
I was in Lisbon recently and saw the outside of the bullring there. It was a stunning building and I would have liked the opportunity to have a look inside. If I remember correctly they do still hold bull fights, but not to the point were the bull was killed. No comment was made about the injuries the bulls may suffer though!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley