Statement from Little Stars Luxor Charity Treasurer.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Statement from Little Stars Luxor Charity Treasurer.

Post by DJKeefy »

In July last year the democratically elected President Morsi of Egypt was deposed in a military coup. Since then more than 2,000 Muslim Brotherhood supporters have been murdered, many thousands have been arrested and imprisoned on trumped up charges and a regime appointed Prime Minister who resigned after the massacre in Rabaa Square, has been accused of treason for suggesting that the Muslim Brotherhood could be allowed some political representation.

The media is now totally state controlled, foreign journalists have been imprisoned and deported. Comparisons with Nazi Germany in the 30s, Stalinist Russia and present day North Korea can well be justified. Additionally, all MB assets have been seized together with those of 1,100 charities with suggestions that the proceeds be given to the military regime. The Brotherhood has now been declared a terrorist organisation with supporters facing a death sentence or a five-year prison term. All protests have been banned and the killing continues.

When Little Stars started nearly seven years ago we needed to liaise with Brotherhood members regarding their distribution organisation and even now our food aid is directed by village elders who are largely sympathetic to the Brotherhood.
In October armed soldiers and police arrived at the clinic on Luxor’s west bank with an arrest warrant for the Chairman, who was in the UK at the time and was not deported as has been widely stated on Facebook. They searched the clinic and left the staff feeling very threatened.

For nearly seven years the Chairman has given her life and health to Little Stars; we have no paid staff in the UK, all administration, organisation and fund raising being undertaken by the Chairman which would normally involve full-time employment for two people never mind a 68 year old MS sufferer. This is part of the reason why we have been able to keep our expenses below 15% of our income unlike many major charities whose admin costs of 60, 70 and even 90% are not uncommon, though unsurprising when one observes fancy city-centre offices and TV advertising. This is why we have been able to achieve so much with so little.

For all this time the Chairman has been subjected to a continuous vile campaign of hate and abuse from Internet trolls, initiated by Andrew May (deceased) and continued by (names removed), under a variety of aliases with the stated intention of destroying Little Stars and its Chairman.

We have no doubt that the present difficulties have been brought about by these people through their involvement with the recently formed Expat Committee, with our slight contact with the Muslim Brotherhood brought to the attention of the security forces. Facebook comments about the regime made on closed Facebook pages have also been copied and presented to the Security Forces leading to the Chairman being branded as a security risk, an enemy of the state and being barred from entry to the country.

For these reasons, I, as Treasurer, am not prepared to authorise further funds to be sent to Egypt with the strong possibility that they will be seized by the military regime and that our already frightened staff will be threatened with imprisonment. Little Stars will now concentrate on its work in the UK and will help disadvantaged children there in any way that it can.

Any person or organisation wishing to take over the operation of Little Stars in Egypt will be welcome provided that we can be satisfied that sufficient continuous funding would be available and can be monitored by us.

In six months Egypt has been destroyed; to those citizens who supported the coup, I say be careful what you wish for!

Source: Little Stars Luxor facebook page -

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Statement from Little Stars Luxor Charity Treasurer.

Post by Dusak »

The way I see it any or all charities in this country can operate freely and successfully without the need to initiate contact or relations with a terrorist organization. When it [the Brotherhood] became internationally recognized as such it would of been prudent to sever links then. If you sup with the Devil...

Because of this ''partnership'' with this outlawed organization, children will suffer, as will adults. To offer it out to any other organization with the understanding that it will be ''overseen'' by the original founders would put them in jeopardy. And they say Egyptians are stupid :!:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I have nothing to say about these latest developments. What I never understood was why for so long before even Little Stars existed so many of you saw nothing wrong with a self-confessed, unrepentant, bigamist in your midst. Everything after that to me was absolutely irrelevant about this person and their activities.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The first post in this thread seems to contain a lot of cr*p, and not much about charity. I have little sympathy for Little Stars on the basis of this thread.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I have nothing to say about these latest developments. What I never understood was why for so long before even Little Stars existed so many of you saw nothing wrong with a self-confessed, unrepentant, bigamist in your midst. Everything after that to me was absolutely irrelevant about this person and their activities.
In a country that permits polygamy, I don't see where a bigamist is a problem - he is just a few wives short of a harem.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Perhaps biandry would be a more technically specific term in this case but I thought that bigamy would be a little more immediately recognized by people as a word.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I had a communication saying that LS was concentrating now in the UK and also sending clothes and blankets to Syria, not confirmed but no smoke without fire.

There are plenty of Charities operating around Luxor to help the poor and the young, maybe these will find an opportunity to expand now. I wonder what will happen to the LS supporters in and around Luxor, that used to help with the delivery of foods and clothes? there were many.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I must say with the above statement, one would assume quite rightly that 'all bridges have now been burned regarding holidaying in Egypt.
This is not an attack just an observation regarding it's writer …. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:
There are plenty of Charities operating around Luxor to help the poor and the young, maybe these will find an opportunity to expand now. I wonder what will happen to the LS supporters in and around Luxor, that used to help with the delivery of foods and clothes? there were many.

Hopefully they will channel their efforts into the remaining charities, Choccy :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:I must say with the above statement, one would assume quite rightly that 'all bridges have now been burned regarding holidaying in Egypt.
This is not an attack just an observation regarding it's writer …. :cool:
Which above statement do you refer to? :?:
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The one Keefy is referring to at the top of this topic Brian..
whereby they film themselves walking along a bridge pouring petrol on it,
Then once safely on the other side, drop a lighted match on the bridge and post the whole show on Facebook.. ... :cool:

Sometimes, burning a bridge is not a bad thing, as it prevents you going somewhere you should not have been in the first place... :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It may be burning bridges but it also is largely true. I googled and found direct, publicly available evidence that supports some of these claims of an organized campaign involving at least one of the named people to get Connie deported already back in 2008. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion, but that it was going on is fact.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's been going on a long time, a word to the wise. 'There are some very very nasty individuals that reside in Egypt and I wouldn't stop from saying that they are pure evil, but they will get their comeuppance either in this World or the next…. :cool:
Ps: I had my sights set on that Andrew character, but not to soon he departed this planet bound for the 'fiery furnace to teach them a few things.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

All this seems old news to me.

Don't want to say to much, however I would suggest that anyone who has EygytAir shares should sell them, as there will be one less person using their business class seats.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I've learned one thing over the last few years, if you want to fight to get rid of someone, from their job, from their office, from the country, whatever, things will not always go as you plan and there will be unforeseen consequences, and there will almost always be blowback and you will burn a lot of your own bridges in the process and really you need to consider long and hard whether you are willing to give up your own life and/or freedom (and I say that literally not figuratively) for it. And as much as I felt Connie did not belong here long before many others felt that way, she's like a mosquito in the overall scheme of things in the country right now. Really not worth going out of one's way to destroy and in this case probably benefited no one including those responsible for it. I don't know exactly who took the steps to get rid of her for once and for all but all I can say is her last sentence is absolutely and completely true, you do need to be careful what you wish for. And in addition to people getting their comeuppance, history will also be a judge in the future of everything that is going on now.
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Brian Yare wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:I have nothing to say about these latest developments. What I never understood was why for so long before even Little Stars existed so many of you saw nothing wrong with a self-confessed, unrepentant, bigamist in your midst. Everything after that to me was absolutely irrelevant about this person and their activities.
In a country that permits polygamy, I don't see where a bigamist is a problem - he is just a few wives short of a harem.

Well quite. It's only a problem if HE is in fact a SHE! Personally I would hesitate to condemn a woman for bigamy or 'biandry' in a country which allows men to have up to four spouses and women only one! It's a blatant sexual inequality which I am surprised that GD as a female would be so keen to feed into. Also, it's got absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. The author's marital status is what is irrelevant in this context, not everything else about her! I wonder if GD would be so quick to dismiss everything about all the Egyptian men with more than one wife as 'irrelevant' purely on that basis? :(
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

timetraveller wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:

Well quite. It's only a problem if HE is in fact a SHE! Personally I would hesitate to condemn a woman for bigamy or 'biandry' in a country which allows men to have up to four spouses and women only one! It's a blatant sexual inequality which I am surprised that GD as a female would be so keen to feed into. Also, it's got absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. The author's marital status is what is irrelevant in this context, not everything else about her! I wonder if GD would be so quick to dismiss everything about all the Egyptian men with more than one wife as 'irrelevant' purely on that basis? :(
My reading of GD's post was that after CT admitted to breaking the law of this land (Egypt) and the UK then she shouldn't have been tolerated by people in Luxor. I'm assuming that her 2nd marriage (to an Egyptian) was not just a ******** paper but a fully recognised marriage in Egypt.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Perhaps irrelevant wasn't quite the right word, irredeemable would perhaps be more appropriate. When someone publicly and repeatedly states that they feel no shame nor regret about breaking the law and commonly held human values and if they were to do it all over again would do exactly the same thing, there really is no point beyond that in expecting any great wonders from them. They make their bed, they have to sleep in it.

It doesn't actually matter if there is a legal marriage, an orfi marriage, or shacking up, as long as there is already another marriage in existence, all three are equally illegal.

But this is all old stuff and not worth debating. I just never understood how something so public and shameless went on without the expats seeing much wrong about it, leave aside the Egyptians as I don't know what the Egyptians around her thought of it.
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

....and remember folks ....never risk more than you can afford to lose.........except for when it's not your money and then it's perfectly acceptable, of course.
Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

While I don't know the whole story about Little Stars this is very sad for the people who the charity were helping.