Prices

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Prices

Post by newcastle »

@nanavira

I fear A-Four is stuck in the past (Nasser) days with his suggestion that the Egyptians see themselves as part of the “Arab family”.

Referring to a modern Egyptian as an Arab is likely to be taken as an insult! They view themselves as much superior to their Arab speaking neighbours.....who, in the minds of many, are no more than jumped up Bedouin who would still be living in tents were it not for oil.

Here’s an excellent article on the subject. Although it was written a decade ago, the sense of national pride and separate identity of the Egyptian has, if anything, strengthened over the years.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... l-identity

nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

@newcastle

OK, be as it may, it seems to me that we are back to square one. Egyptians are not considering themselves to be Arabs, while a Kuwaiti pays the „Egyptian ticket fee“ ! Kind of a "logic loop"...
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I only once referred to my friend in a discussion as being part of the ' Arab nation'. She glared at me stating that we are Egyptians, not Arabs!!!
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Do the Bedouin consider themselves to be Arabs?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Do Egyptians consider themselves to be Africans?
Not those I have met.
Nanavira I think it's more a question of language rather than ethnicity. Arabs be they from Kuwait, Saudi do speak Arabic. Might not be Egyptian Arabic but still.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

nanavira wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 am @newcastle
OK, be as it may, it seems to me that we are back to square one. Egyptians are not considering themselves to be Arabs, while a Kuwaiti pays the „Egyptian ticket fee“ ! Kind of a "logic loop"...
Perhaps you missed my point.

A Kuwaiti looks like an Egyptian, speaks Arabic, and, unless he declared his nationality at the ticket office would be assumed to be an Egyptian and charged accordingly!

The discounted rates are for Egyptians.....not citizens of other Arab states.
Last edited by newcastle on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 pm Do the Bedouin consider themselves to be Arabs?
Yes......insofar as they consider themselves anything.

They certainly don’t see themselves as Egyptians! :lol:
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

Yes it is all about fees, which by some rather interesting twist boiled down to the appearance (“speak Arabic, look like an Egyptian”). You meant, the complexion? That is, in my experience, the very first thing the cashier looks at and thereafter sets the fee.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

nanavira wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm Yes it is all about fees, which by some rather interesting twist boiled down to the appearance (“speak Arabic, look like an Egyptian”). You meant, the complexion? That is, in my experience, the very first thing the cashier looks at and thereafter sets the fee.
True in past years, but over the last 4 or so, the local Egyptians are becoming the victims of the price hike, my friend is continually moaning about the sudden rises from the day before for the same item as the Egyptians tend to shop on a daily basis, they don't stock up as we Europeans tend to do. Up until 18 months ago if I needed the bank, I had to wait my turn, always many Egyptian customers, now its extremely rare that i have to take a seat, its empty of customers..
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.