Ooh! Yes Please Santa!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Ooh! Yes Please Santa!

Post by Winged Isis »

The house that King Tut bought... and now it's up for a pharaoh price tag! Lavish five-bedroom apartment archaeologist Howard Carter lived in after discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb goes on sale for £9.75million
British archaeologist Howard Carter lived at apartment from when he retired in 1932 until he died in 1939
His discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922 hailed as biggest archaeological achievement of 20th century
He made an estimated £15m from the King Tut treasures which work out at £600m in today's money
Kensington apartment also used as RAF base during World War II and film set for 1978 remake of The 39 Steps
Grade II listed building, a stone's throw from the Royal Albert Hall, has gone on the market for £9.75million
By Connor Boyd For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 00:41 AEDT, 13 December 2017 | UPDATED: 02:37 AEDT, 13 December 2017

Go here for the drool-inducing photos:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -sale.html

I didn't realise he became so wealthy.

Carpe diem! :le:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Ooh! Yes Please Santa!

Post by Major Thom »

That to be honest is not a lot for a 5 bedroom apartment in Kensington WI. I worked for a company that revamped a 6 bedroom home 2 doors away from Mrs Thatchers old home, the owner purchased the house in 2008 for 13 million pounds and spent another 9 million pounds revamping it. While I was living in Luxor I was informed the property sold for 27.5 million pounds to a Russian property developer working in London. I 2006 I was working on the BSM of 2 and 3 bed flats in Knightsbridge (A block of 30) They were then selling at 9 million each, plus 250,000 for a double car parking space in the secure garage.I am returning to Cyprus today when I get there I will put on some property adverts to show London homes are very very expensive, especially Knightsbridge and Kensington.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Lovely apartment in a wonderful position, not at all surprised at the price given the size and location. Bet he didn't pay much for it, prices of homes in London are beyond belief.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Methinks the Daily Mail is at it again :lol:

Howard Carter made 15 million pounds.........pull the other one!

The flat he lived in 1932-39, 49 Albert Court, bears little resemblance to the fine property on sale today...which is two (possibly more) flats knocked together.

Carter wasn't poor , but he was certainly not extremely wealthy. Property in those days was but a fraction of current valuations. I suspect 49 Albert Court was a lease, and such items as were legitimately his were valued for probate at a little over 1000GBP.

During his lifetime Carter placed high values on artifacts he hoped to sell , but we're talking about sums in the '000s GBP

His income was reasonable - maybe in the region of 2000GBP p.a. - and, although the Inland Revenue took some interest in his affairs, particularly any antiquities dealing he may have carried out in Egypt, nothing came of it.

I'd be surprised if his net wealth ever reached 100,000GBP, let alone 15 million, and he was hardly a spendthrift character so is unlikely to have dissipated any earnings or dealings profits - clandestine or otherwise.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Only the man himself knew his true worth and in what directions some of it was sent. Not really interested myself, I find such valuations bordering on the obscene.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Me too. I just love the look of it now.
Carpe diem! :le: