Egypt's judges

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Egypt's judges

Post by newcastle »

The independence of the judiciary is a cornerstone of any functioning democracy.

But an Egyptian parliamentary committee has approved a judicial authority draft law which may threaten this.

Egypt's Judges Club, the body representing judges across Egypt, has expressed strong objections to a parliamentary committee passing a new judicial authority draft law that critics say undermines the independence of judiciary.
On Monday, the parliament's constitutional and legislative affairs committee voted in favour of the bill, which gives the president the right to appoint the heads of the country's judicial councils.

The council's move comes despite the fact that the country's State Council, the state advisory body that provides legal advice to the government, advised against the passing of the draft bill.

The move comes as a number of the country's judicial bodies, including the State Council and the Supreme Judicial Council, stressed their rejection of the amended draft law.

Judges against the bill say that putting the final decision of appointing the heads of judicial bodies in the hands of the president would eliminate the independence of the judiciary, making it a pawn in the hands of the executive authority.

Mohamed Hamed El-Gamal, a veteran judge and a former head of Egypt's State Council said that this law would violate the constitutional guarantee of an independent judiciary, and "if ratified there is a very high probability it will be challenged before the higher courts."

However, the senior judge says he expects parliament will pass the law regardless of the objections of the judicial councils.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... -law-.aspx

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt's judges

Post by Horus »

Judges in most countries often have too high of an opinion of themselves and Egypt’s judiciary are not exactly known for their wisdom or impartiality.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Judges in most countries often have too high of an opinion of themselves and Egypt’s judiciary are not exactly known for their wisdom or impartiality.
Still smarting from our supreme court's slap down of ministerial overreach are we ;)

Egypt's judges are, I agree, renowned for some dingbat decisions. What little impartiality they might have possessed is going down the plughole
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Not smarting at all, just holding the same opinion as I always have with the likes of judges and the House of Lords, the majority of which are too senile and out of touch with reality be holding onto a job well past their sell by date. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Not smarting at all, just holding the same opinion as I always have with the likes of judges and the House of Lords, the majority of which are too senile and out of touch with reality be holding onto a job well past their sell by date. ;)
You forgot to mention - one of them is queer....dreadful!! :ct

P.S The ages of our Supreme Court judges range from 60 to 73. If that denotes senility, I'm in trouble :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The ages of our Supreme Court judges range from 60 to 73.
Oh how strange that their age confers sagacity and the ability to make wise decisions when you are a judge …….. but apparently not if you are in that particular age group when deciding to leave the EU, then it seems we should have left it to the more inexperienced younger voters to decide what is best for us all. ;)
You forgot to mention - one of them is queer....dreadful!!
PS. I thought that they were all queer :D
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
The ages of our Supreme Court judges range from 60 to 73.
Oh how strange that their age confers sagacity and the ability to make wise decisions when you are a judge …….. but apparently not if you are in that particular age group when deciding to leave the EU, then it seems we should have left it to the more inexperienced younger voters to decide what is best for us all. ;)

Not necessarily sagacity....but perhaps experience .
You forgot to mention - one of them is queer....dreadful!!
PS. I thought that they were all queer :D

There's nothing wrong with wearing silk stockings, court shoes and a wig to work....I did it all the time ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Not necessarily sagacity....but perhaps experience .
which of course most 16 years olds are famous for having ;)
There's nothing wrong with wearing silk stockings, court shoes and a wig to work....I did it all the time
Far too much information :stp I am desperately trying to get the image out of my mind :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Have you a PhD in dissembling Horus?

The subject is "Judges"...not "Brexit" ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The analogy is the same when talking about who is fit to make a particular decision. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

phpBB [video]
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Sounds about right :lol: :lol:
The irony is that they would not be able to do a sketch like that any more because some legal prat would bring an action against them. :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I think it would be a hanging offence here :lol: