Passed

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Passed

Post by carrie »

Not having a go at MT but I hate the expression that someone has passed. Who have they passed what have they passed? They have in effect died. When my Mum died she died she didn't "pass" she didn't "cross to the other side" or any other euphemism is everyone becoming so afraid of death that they can't use the correct word. It will come to all of us in time why be afraid?
Another Americanism to be avoided.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Passed

Post by John Landon »

I can see the point you are making Carrie.

Dead is the opposite of living, so if you are no longer alive you are dead.

It's rare that someone will actually say the words "so and so has died or is dead", they prefer to say, "has passed away" or is no "longer with us".

Maybe not using the word Dead is indeed a reflection of their own uncertainty about what lies beyond ?

"Passing" or "passed" does rather insinuate that they have gone elsewhere, so that really does depend on your beliefs, and not an argument I want to go into.
It's an optimistic expression I guess ? for those who are uncertain about what lies beyond this life.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I like the expression, but stopped using it a little more than three years ago, when Stan said that he really did not like it.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

As far as I'm aware, Turks don't use euphemisms for death, they just say he or she died. I do the same.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The only time I use the word 'passed' is if I say that someone has "passed away" as a gentler way of saying they have died, rather that they are somewhere else. :)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

In the famous Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch, the irate customer, exhausted by the refusal of the pet shop owner to concede that his recently-purchased parrot is dead, concludes with :

" 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!He's f*ckin' snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"

A fair selection of euphemisms there....although perhaps none are appropriate for one's nearest & dearest.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It getting to be a regular word Carrie when the media report on people dying, so for me it is becoming natural to use it. I think they use it has a softer way of saying passed away. Who knows what happens to us, I have yet to meet someone who can tell me face to face. It's all in your faith. Both my parents have written on their headstones "Passed away" and the date. It's each to their own I suppose.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I would like to see.....

"Was called Home" on my 'stone...

though I have a suspicion that will be followed with the word... "Suddenly" or "unexpectedly"...... :ct