All clear now!

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

All clear now!

Post by carrie »

Well it's all clear now, there has been talk of a "hard" Brexit, I didn't understand what that meant. Talk of a "soft" Brexit, still no closer to understanding but is all clear now Ms May has explained today there is going to be a red, white and blue Brexit.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: All clear now!

Post by Horus »

I think what she is trying to say is, forget about all these various models that people often quote such as "we should go for the Swiss model" or "we should try for such and such an option". Instead we will go for a UK option that suits our own asperations ie, a Red White and Blue option, that is how I understand it. :up
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I have been following the action in the Supreme Court, my God! Now that is really confusing
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Major Thom wrote:I have been following the action in the Supreme Court, my God! Now that is really confusing
So have I and it really does show that the whole challenge is nothing more than semantics. Both sides so far are just bandying around various scenarios that suit their own argument, typical lawyer speak picking apart loads of vagaries that no one else could even follow let alone understand. “How many angels can you fit on a pin head” comes to mind. What it really does show is that there is no right or wrong way of enacting article 50 and as such the whole exercise is just one of futility and another example of the peeved losers in this referendum using any ploy possible to change what the majority voted for. Watching these ‘learned’ men picking over the chicken carcass of UK law and dissecting every scrap just shows what a farce the whole exercise actually is and whichever way it goes the British public will not understand the reason behind it, so that begs the question why did it ever need to be put in front of these courts in the first place?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I notice that the name of the man representing the challenger is called Lord 'Pannick' says it all really :lol: And we have just had a mention of Lord 'Stain' :D it could not get anymore unreal.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Your right Horus, people must be getting really peed off with all these delaying tactics and people wanting 5 mins of fame. My own opinion is people were railroaded into Europe by previous Governments without a say and nothing was said, now the people have spoken all hell has been let loose.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Law lords debating and deciding on a point of law? Disgraceful! Whatever next?

But if MT says "your right Horus" (sic).....you can rest assured you've made your case :roll:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

If you are not already doing so then I suggest that you and others tune in to watch this legal farce being conducted on our TV, a room full of elderly privileged white males discussing the minutia of past present or future precedents to determine who can initiate this article 50. All a load of bunkum with a load of Corbynite idiots wanting to show our negotiating hand to the EU before we even start the process, meanwhile the EU huddles together to pre-empt us getting a decent settlement and still refuses to discuss anything before we enact article 50, yet these fools want us to tell the world what our negotiating position will be. They could not play poker with a blind man and the end result will be a poorer deal for the UK, which of course is what the remoaners want, that way they can say “we told you so”
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well one good thing the dear lawyers are making a mint. :td
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm following the court case with great interest and find it fascinating.

I sincerely hope they uphold the principle that it is the MPs, in a vote, who make, or remove, our laws and not individual ministers.

This is the essence of the case being adjudicated although some would lose it in jumbled arguments about our negotiating hand, the "will of the people".....and other ephemera.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The House of Commons had many months to debate and finally approve a referendum that asked a single question “Should we leave the EU” The then Prime Minister David Ca-moron stated that he would implement the Article 50 the next day if a ‘leave’ vote resulted. Leading up to the ballot I never heard any Remoaners challenging his veiled threat, for that was what it was, but since losing all sorts of smoke screens have been used to confuse the situation and this Parliament being sovereign on this issue is one of them. People voted on what they believed would happen and not to have it kicked about by MP’s wanting to water it down. If an election were held tomorrow all those whingeing MP’s would be kicked out the day after, lets face it Corbyn has as much chance of being elected as Humpy Dumpty, so why do his policies count for anything.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Problem being Ca Moron never thought people would vote to leave, complacent in the extreme.
Looking at it from over here it seems they are all running round like headless ducks.

Talking about Ducks, which we weren't, I hear there is Avian flu striking Europe again. Can we look forward to the few flights coming from the UK being sprayed with that horrible stuff again before they land?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Going off topic a little Carie, but I have not seen any reports on Avian flu flying around (pun intended) ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

While we are talking pedantic's , which we are not, its headless chickens, not ducks. :lol: This derives from the fact that when a farmer chopped off the head of a live chicken it wasn't uncommon for the bird to flap it wings and take a few steps around the immediate area of slaughter. At least there was little chance of it banging its head on any unseen object. :up The avian flue got a mention on the NHK channel a few days back. If it reaches us the locals will only blame it on the Yanks as they did with the swine flue. If they do decide to spray any aircraft landing here with the 'smelly' stuff, then one bottle should last a couple of months. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The headless chicken syndrome is alive and well in UK politics. Yesterday the commons voted in favour of implementing the article 50 by the end of March 2017, then in the same breath they support a court action that will probably not be ruled upon until the end of January 2017 at best and that’s if another appeal isn’t lodged in the European Court, Oh the irony of that scenario, you really couldn’t make it up.

Even more amusing is that a mainstay of the remoaners case is that the majority of Brexiteers were over 45 and it was their old fashioned entrenched anti Europe views that had swayed to referendum for a leave vote. I never heard the argument put forward that all of us older voters had the experience to know better and to see that the EU social experiment was failing the UK or that age and wisdom usually go together and would have more gravity than those of a spotty youth straight out of school soaking up all of the rubbish that the remoaner campaign threw at them.
And yet today! Here we have that same age group and well beyond (I doubt if any are under 60 years of age) and because of this are being lauded as the arbiters of our laws. So the older and the wiser who are usually revered in most societies are summarily dismissed when it comes to a referendum, but deemed to be a fount of all knowledge when it comes to some some legal trivia that may have grave implications on our future relations with Europe.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sorry should have been headless chicken rather than duck.
Latest on Brexit is I heard one bright spark say that the referendum was only an opinion poll, and therefore not necessarily the wish of the people.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

In interpreting the thousand years of legislation and cases which form the body of our constitution, I would rather rely on the skill and opinions of independent judges with decades of legal experience under their belts rather than the ad hoc, gut felt opinion of the tabloid -reading man on the Clapham omnibus.

The government seems to be coming round to the idea that parliament should be consulted prior to the exercise of Clause 50 so why they are persisting with this court appeal is anyone's guess.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Sorry should have been headless chicken rather than duck.
Latest on Brexit is I heard one bright spark say that the referendum was only an opinion poll, and therefore not necessarily the wish of the people.

Legally, a referendum has no more force than an opinion poll..

The result expressed the wish to leave EU by17 million of the population...,although what individual voters understood by this remains a bone of contention.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Do they still have omnibuses in Clapham ?.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Who2 wrote:Do they still have omnibuses in Clapham ?.... 8)
No they don't but lets face it the remoaners are a bit behind the times in their thinking :lol: :lol: